Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tires do you find work best for you? If you are one of those people that bought a new corvette and it came time to replace your tires do you go back and replace them with originals or do you put another brand on and or do you go out and bargin shop around. Myself with older vettes I have tried a couple of brands and depending on the car one works better than the other. We found on the 59, Goodyear rode hard and BF was a softer ride which suited the 59. On the 64 and 75 we found both worked well with either. :huh:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
On my black LT4, I was very happy with the factory Goodyear GSC tires.

When I was due for new rubber all the way around in my black car, I went with BFG KDW's. The tires were good, but I could spin the tires far too easily. So, when those became bald I went back to Good year GSC tires.

I thought they were great in all categories. So, when the Grand Sport needed new rear tires, GSC's were what I bought for her... until they went bald.

This summer is a "drag racing" summer, so I strapped a set of 315 drag radials on and they should be bald by Labor Day when I'll need 4 new tires for the Stars and Stripes trip.

Drag radials are great for straight line acceleration but are really squirly during turns.

·
I use man gel
4,402 Posts
I've had dunlop GT qualifiers and Goodyear Eagle GT IIs on my 69.. I did like the dunlops more in the dry, but they might as well been racing slicks when it came to rain. The Eagles were ok in the dry, and are really good in the wet, but i can light up the eagles a lot easier then the qualifiers

I think I'm going with BFG's this time around

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SaveTheWave said:
Have had very good luck with Dayton Daytona ZR's. ~150 per tire and have 40K on them with a considerable amount of tread left.
SaveTheWave that's a bargin at 150 per tire and still have as you say considerable tread left. ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Corzvette69 said:
I've had dunlop GT qualifiers and Goodyear Eagle GT IIs on my 69.. I did like the dunlops more in the dry, but they might as well been racing slicks when it came to rain. The Eagles were ok in the dry, and are really good in the wet, but i can light up the eagles a lot easier then the qualifiers

I think I'm going with BFG's this time around
Looking at your avatar you must of had the Eagles on that day. I found on my 75 the BFG a little more forgiving when it came to pushing it a bit harder.;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patrick96LT4 said:
On my black LT4, I was very happy with the factory Goodyear GSC tires.

When I was due for new rubber all the way around in my black car, I went with BFG KDW's. The tires were good, but I could spin the tires far too easily. So, when those became bald I went back to Good year GSC tires.

I thought they were great in all categories. So, when the Grand Sport needed new rear tires, GSC's were what I bought for her... until they went bald.

This summer is a "drag racing" summer, so I strapped a set of 315 drag radials on and they should be bald by Labor Day when I'll need 4 new tires for the Stars and Stripes trip.

Drag radials are great for straight line acceleration but are really squirly during turns.
Patrick maybe you should buy shares in a tire company. So on the average what kind of mileage would you get out of the tires you have tried?:huh:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
stingray said:
Patrick maybe you should buy shares in a tire company. So on the average what kind of mileage would you get out of the tires you have tried?:huh:
I get about 6000 miles on the rear tires, and 33,000 on the front tires.

For instance, the GS is on it's 4th set of tires in the rear, the fronts are original. I have 33,000 miles.

My foot keeps slipping off the clutch....

SSSSSSmokin.........

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patrick96LT4 said:
I get about 6000 miles on the rear tires, and 33,000 on the front tires.

For instance, the GS is on it's 4th set of tires in the rear, the fronts are original. I have 33,000 miles.

My foot keeps slipping off the clutch....

SSSSSSmokin.........
[/QUOTE

Looking at the picture 6000 miles is likely at the top end of the scale. Great shot. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have tried a few different kinds of tires on the vette, I too like the GSC's but with all the mods they just dont cut it anymore for serious traction, I was able to pull a 1.75 60' time with them but I have been pretty consistent with the Nitto's (1.65-1.70) I am currently running the nitto's but I have also tried the Kumho V700 road racing tires, I liked them alot but had problems with the tread cracking, after 3 sets of the Kumho's I went to the nittos. I also have the same problem as Patrick but mine last less than 6K miles :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MVR 155 said:
I have tried a few different kinds of tires on the vette, I too like the GSC's but with all the mods they just dont cut it anymore for serious traction, I was able to pull a 1.75 60' time with them but I have been pretty consistent with the Nitto's (1.65-1.70) I am currently running the nitto's but I have also tried the Kumho V700 road racing tires, I liked them alot but had problems with the tread cracking, after 3 sets of the Kumho's I went to the nittos. I also have the same problem as Patrick but mine last less than 6K miles :D

Hi MRV155 between you and Patrick your both tearing up the track, I need to set up a garage for the both of you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
336 Posts
stingray said:
Hi MRV155 between you and Patrick your both tearing up the track, I need to set up a garage for the both of you.:thumbsup:
You should open a tire business, Im on my third set in 11K miles, they dont last long when you dump the clutch in second for your burnouts and then sit there brake torquing it :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MVR 155 said:
You should open a tire business, Im on my third set in 11K miles, they dont last long when you dump the clutch in second for your burnouts and then sit there brake torquing it :D
I hope the guy selling you tires gives you a discount:huh:

·
Registered
336 Posts
I get a discount since I buy them from Discount Tire :D

I know a guy at the store, he always takes care of me when I buy tires and he is very careful with the car as well

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MVR 155 said:
I get a discount since I buy them from Discount Tire :D

I know a guy at the store, he always takes care of me when I buy tires and he is very careful with the car as well
Well it sounds like you are getting a great deal and someone who cares can't beat that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pat i seriously reccomend BFG G-force KD's, not KDWs. the KDWs were designed for all weather, and mainly with import cars in mind.. with all the sizes they need. The KDs have the BEST dry traction ive ever seen from a street tire, excl. drag radials. And they also handle extremely well. I believe a DRM modified vette went 1.06gs on a skidpad with full tread KD's. Im sure you've seen the ads. ANyhow my beater tires are so2 pole positions 273/35 18 and i love them, no traction issues whatsoever.. yet. My 19s have s03s on them. Hey if formula 1 isnt a measuring stick what is ? :D Bridgestone forever!:partyon:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts