Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im from the uk and have just bought a 1977 stingray..looking to buy some wheels but most places over here have no idea what offset and stud fitment (diameter) i would need for the car? anyone got any ideas!? also what size wheels would fit on thi car? i was thinking 18 inch diameter and 8 inch wide? any ideas? thanks, Jaime

·
Registered
436 Posts
blimey, ( sorry, couldn't help my self. What does that mean anyway?), lug pattern should be 5 X 4.75 inch's. Dont know if you need metric numbers /size there tho.
Check some of the older posts in this wheel section. The guys who bought torque thrusts 2's @ 17 inch are using 4 inch back spacing with offset of minus 11.
TATA,,, CHEERIO
you probably think I'm and idiot for that one by now,but I got a laugh from it

·
Registered
582 Posts
huk_finn said:
http://www.americanracing.com/techcenter/index.asp?filename=main&section=tech

Picture's worth a 1000,,, go thru the topics on right side of above link
That's odd. American racing describes tire size different then Discount Tire does here: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.dos

It's the side wall aspect ratio that is not the same. I had always heard it like what Discount is saying, but American Racings description makes no since to me. I knew I should of paid more attention in High School!

·
Registered
436 Posts
i was thinking 18 inch diameter and 8 inch wide? any ideas? thanks, Jaime[/QUOTE]

How are the roads in the U.K.???? If you have lots of pot holes, you might want to go to a smaller sized rim (something like 16 or 17 inch). Then you can fit a tire with larger sidewall height to give more protection from bent rims.
I'm planning on a 16 in because the roads are not that good and speed limit is 50 m.p.h. around my area.
The 8 inch wide is the correct size tho.
About having an 18 in fit, yes it will. some person in the photo section has 20's on.

·
Registered
436 Posts
TXwayno said:
That's odd. I knew I should of paid more attention in High School!
Same here !!! they lost me when they explained that 40 series equation (equals 65% of the tire width). why didnt they just call it 65 for a dummy like me. now THAT I could have figured out

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cheers guys for all your help..its jus really hard to find out lug patterns (im learning now! haha) for american cars over here!! everyone just tells me they got no idea!! im thinkin of something special..its called the diablo delta force..i'll post a picture up in a mo!!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
huk_finn said:
Same here !!! they lost me when they explained that 40 series equation (equals 65% of the tire width). why didnt they just call it 65 for a dummy like me. now THAT I could have figured out
The 65% is a typo. Look lower down on the page where they actually show the calculation. They are using "0.40" in there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts