Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little humor is the only thing getting me through this crisis.

As fate would have it, I'm now a member of the "statistic" club. I guess it was destined to happen eventually. I travel I-75 in Tampa each day while commuting to work. After 16 years, my number finally came up.

After an extremely stressful, and long day at work on Wednesday, I made the decision to leave work Thursday a few minutes early. If only I'd stayed for another five minutes.

I was in the left lane traveling south. Traffic was moving, but not at interstate speeds. I'd say 50-55 mph. The center and right lane were moving at about the same clip. Traffic was not really "bunched" up. In my lane, the interval between vehicles was 2-3 lenghts. All was good, tunes going (Eagles-Life in the Fast Lane...how ironic), looking forward to getting home. I noticed an 18 wheeler in the right lane signaling to move into the center lane. The thought of "I hope he sees me and does not decide to move into the left lane" went through my mind. Within that instant, the vehicle in front of me went into nose down/ass up, tires locked up braking mode. He managed to evade hitting the vehicle in front by hitting the shoulder. I'm not sure if he was asleep at the wheel or what, but his inability to judge how fast he was closing on traffic in front of him, gave me no advanced warning of what was to come. There was nothing for me to do but hit the brakes as hard as I could. I couldn't go right (18 wheeler), and couldn't go left onto the shoulder (taken already). I hit the young lady the guy in front of me barely missed. Once the dust cleared, her 97 Nissan Altima was resting on my right fender and hood. Her bumper was about 18 inches from my windshield.

In spite of the damage to my Vette, there is a happy ending. The young lady I hit was un-hurt, and neither was I. I'm a little sore from tensing up priot to the impact, along with a little seatbelt rub to my left shoulder.

Preliminary damage estimates place her property damage at ~ $500.00 (rear bumper cap), at mine at ~ $7000.00. I'll find out more Monday/Tuesday.

BTW...I'm thankful for rental coverage, but going from a 400+ HP V8 Corvette to a 120 HP 4 Cyl Dodge Avenger SUCKS!!! :down:

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Well that explains the avatar.
Sorry dude glad noone was hurt the car can be fixed.

Get some Adams it did wonders on that guys C-4.:laughing:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn that sucks Bro. Just glad you are ok.
Thanks man...It could have been tragic. Things can be repaired or replaced.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that explains the avatar.
Sorry dude glad noone was hurt the car can be fixed.

Get some Adams it did wonders on that guys C-4.:laughing:
Yea, that Dave is a laugh a minute. I'm on the phone telling his how things went down, and he's "modding" my Avatar while I'm talking. Here I am thinking the moment of silence is a fitting display of respect for my immeasureable grief.

I bet a ride in that Supercharged Beast would cheer me up!!!

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
Yea, that Dave is a laugh a minute. I'm on the phone telling his how things went down, and he's "modding" my Avatar while I'm talking
:rolling:

You know I feel for ya bud, but come on, how could I pass up that Avatar opprtunity.

Yikes, those pictures are rough, I'd cry if that was my car. :thud:

Let me know if you need a little break from the Avenger, I'll come take you for a ride. (No, you can't drive.:lookinup: :laughing:)

Give me ring anytime;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:rolling:

You know I feel for ya bud, but come on, how could I pass up that Avatar opprtunity.

Yikes, those pictures are rough, I'd cry if that was my car. :thud:

Let me know if you need a little break from the Avenger, I'll come take you for a ride. (No, you can't drive.:lookinup: :laughing:)

Give me ring anytime;)
I know you're there for me dude. You know I'm usually out burning up the roads...that POS Avenger hasn't left the garage since getting home from work yesterday.

After Nita's comment to me regarding me taking her car to work ("what...so you can wreck mine too"), :nuts: and us picking up the rental on Friday, she should be banished to the Avenger, but I can't bring myself to do that to her. But rest assured...no good deed goes un-punished.:devil:

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Glad no one was hurt:surprised
Hope all goes well:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts