Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seems like there have been a lot of cooling system threads around recently, might as well add another...

I blew a seam on my radiator a while back and am in the process of upgrading the whole system. However, I can't justify paying $500 for a Dewitts unit when there are so many aluminum radiators that would suit my needs for much less money.

Who's installed an aluminum radiator for under $300 without a lot of mods?

The 31" one I measured at speedway has the filler neck and upper hose connection too close together for the location of the stock brackets.

Thanks guys.

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
OK, couple of assumptions here with this recommend....

SBC of not so greatly warmed over....AND you can fabricate a little....

hoses will not fit...mayb upper but not lower....

use a 89? late camaro V8 rad rated by GM for a/c and so forth...automatic...

it's aluminum/plastic tanks.crimped....but I had one in my '72, fitting the stock mountings just fine...add some heater hose to the rear of the mounts to space the thinner tanks forward...use the stock fan...shroud....the lower hose is a bit of a PIA....I use a cut stock lower hose and a 1.5 inch piece of copper pipe about 3" long to splice to a generic hose with wire in it nothing new to a hotrodder....

it works...BUT because I used stock shroud with a '87-88 vette fan...16" it had very intermittant cooling problems....in summer....so....

this year I put in Dual Spals from Tom DeWitt....it NEVER even got close to warm after THAT, them things really SUCK!!!!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Have your original recored. It's cheaper, will cool as GM designed, and you won't have any fit problems.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Have your original recored. It's cheaper, will cool as GM designed, and you won't have any fit problems.

:thumbsup:
I think recoring is your best option, unless you were having cooling problems before. The only hitch might be, if the seam split ruined the tank and it cannot be reused.

The other issue with radiator conversions is finding hoses. You may save some bux with the radiator, but spend a lot of time trying to get something that works (right bends, inlet and outlet diameters, etc.).

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ok your cost concern is understood, If your system was working fine, Why not have it reconditioned and stick it back in, Voila...

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Ok your cost concern is understood, If your system was working fine, Why not have it reconditioned and stick it back in, Voila...
Because it's a old tech heavy weight brass POS.....knock about 20 lbs off the front of that car easy for the swap to what I used.....

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm heasitant to re-use the old radiator. About 5 inches of the left seam were leaking. I'd also like to cut a little weight here and there...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts