Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there guys,
i have a 1991 zo7 vette with a zf 6 speed box and the L98 engine is mildedly worked with a ported super ram and has a 3.45 rear end ratio currently!
i mainly use the car as a toy/hobbie and for more traffic light to light cruising and so on!
any way i hear that upgrading your diff ratio is one of the best " bang for the buck " mods to do as far as more power!
so i was possibly looking at buying a set of 4.10 thick viper rear gear kit and was wandering wheather this would be a good ratio to have please???
a while back i was going to buy the 3.73 rear ratio but heard better results with the 4.10 ratio !
what are your ideas/comments please?
have you had great performance from putting in 4.10 gears?
thanks for your help and time guys!
cheers
glen
Australia

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
hi there guys,
i have a 1991 zo7 vette with a zf 6 speed box and the L98 engine is mildedly worked with a ported super ram and has a 3.45 rear end ratio currently!
i mainly use the car as a toy/hobbie and for more traffic light to light cruising and so on!
any way i hear that upgrading your diff ratio is one of the best " bang for the buck " mods to do as far as more power!
so i was possibly looking at buying a set of 4.10 thick viper rear gear kit and was wandering wheather this would be a good ratio to have please???
a while back i was going to buy the 3.73 rear ratio but heard better results with the 4.10 ratio !
what are your ideas/comments please?
have you had great performance from putting in 4.10 gears?
thanks for your help and time guys!
cheers
glen
Australia

IF youve already got a 3.45:1 rear gear, ratio and manual transmission. ID spend the money ELSEWARE on the car, ...better cylinder heads, bigger roller cam, a 383-0r 396 stroker high compression rotating assembly, ETC. while a 3.45:1 is not ideal its close enought if the POWER curve is decent. with a manual trans youve got far more control over the rpm band you opperate in so INCREASED POWER & TORQUE not mechanical applification of your existing power is what you should be going after

http://www.airflowresearch.com/195sbc_sh.php

http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article085/A-P1.htm

http://ohiocrank.com/sbc_short.html

youll be amazed at what something like a a CRANE 119661 cam, or CROWER 00471 cam and AFR 195cc heads and a 396 stroker kit with 10.5:1 cpr as a package deal, will do for your power, yeah it sure costs more but youll easily add 150 plus hp

·
Registered
441 Posts
The 3.45 ratio is actually a pretty good set-up for the L98's increased low RPM torque output.........for all out dragstrip performance with some "track only" type wrinkle-wall drag radials (or full slicks) on the car (with perfect traction), the 4.10's will most likely reduce your ET's by a couple tenths over the 3.45's.... but on the street like you say you mostly play around.....IMO and experience, you'll be hard pressed to gain a thing, "especially" if you plan on running regular type tires it may even be worse...... It really all just depends on what tires you plan on running "most" of the time...........Before I would spend the cash on a properly set-up set of 4.10's, I would go more the route that Grumpy mentioned, and retain the 3.45's since they are not a real limitation.............Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hi there guys,
thanks for your replys and help r.e 4.10 rear gears!
cheers
glen
Australia

1 - 5 of 5 Posts