Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Rebuilt 700R4

Votes: 12 80.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my tranny took a dumb on me Xmas morning. Renee and I were coming back from Sloppy Joes and she mentioned how she missed the sound of my Vette. So, I hammer it so she could enjoy...

Throttle stuck at WOT, with no traffic. I stand on the brakes, slow the car down and kill the motor as I pull into a empty parking lot. Found the throttle cable came out of it's track/guide at the butterfly plate. Get it back to normal and start driving back home. About a 1/2 mile down the road, my engine starts revving higher and higher after 35 miles an hour...

Low 1 & 2 work perfect as does reverse. Once it goes into drive, it's all over.

So, I'm thinking of dumping the slush box all together and going to a 6 speed. Initial estimates show the swap will roughly cost twice as much as a rebuilt trans and new converter would. Plus, my gas mileage should really improve over the 3500 stall combo I have in the Vette now.

I'm currently looking for a beater to get me around while I assemble the parts for the swap.

So, what do you guys think I should do, spend roughly $2K for a built 700R4 and new converter or go big and do the 6 speed swap???

·
Banned
591 Posts
A4

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
I'd stay with the A4.

As you know -=Jeff=- did this swap. You should talk to him... I do believe the project was pretty involved.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've talked to Jeff about this in the past. I do need to talk to him again and get some details.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you go with the R4, you might want to check out this link:
http://www.maddog-transmissions.com
I found the guy via ebay when my 84 R4 bit the dust, (just like yours....great 1&2, 3&4 gonzo). After a couple of calls to him, I felt pretty good about taking the risk of a 'sight unseen' purchase.
Let me tell ya, if I did ANYTHING right in 2003, it was buying the trans from Lou! I've been driving the trans for about 3 months now (and I've been pretty tough on it...I like to hand shift quite a bit, etc) and NO complaints, nothing but praise.
Just make sure you want a trans that definitely lets you know when it shifts. It's a hard hitter......gotta get used to take-off/turns, cuz the shift to 2nd will go sideways if your into the gas too much. 2nd, 3rd & 4th all shift solid and I don't have the (I call 'em the "overdrive hiccups") OD shift up, down, up, etc. in the city any more...once it's in gear, it stays til you either hand shift (which I do a lot) or put your foot into it.
I got a great deal w/the guy. Freight and all came to just under $1000. My car is an 84 daily driver and the trans is an 89 shell.
I know I sound like an add for the guy, but I'm just that impressed w/trans and all. I told him if I was happy, I'd spread the word. If you contact him, tell him Kevin Michaels in Gainesville,Ga referred ya. Might get you a better deal.
Good luck w/ getting back on the road. The good news is, at least it's winter, so your losing less quality driving time! :D
Save the wave :buhbye:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm also looking at Raptor transmissions , I have heard good things about them in the past. I'm waiting for Maddogs site to load, dial up sucks.

I am losing good driving time since I'm stationed in Key West... and my Jeep is in storage back in Chicago. I'm stuck with a Corvette that only does 35 mph. :(

Going with another slush box will be the fasted way to get me back on the road and I could avoid looking for a beater to get me by if I went the 6 speed route.

I know what I would like to do and what I should do. I'm going to have to make a decision my Monday or Tuesday.

With the maddog tranny, is it fully manual? Or are you just going through the gears because you want to?

·
Registered
8,067 Posts
Tim, a few ideas;

Time for a C5? Your paint has scratches anyway...by the way, should I proceed with the 3m stuff?

Take cheap way out, save the money for the wedding?

Don't spare any expense, do it the way you really want so you will have no regrets later?

Not being a wise guy here, just looking in all the corners to help YOU find the answer best suited for you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
MD, wow...

Sorry for your trouble. Man, that second listed MD 700R4, handles up to 600 hp and only $795.00?! That seems awfully good to me. I don't know what that is in torque, but what do you need beyond that on the street? For that kind of money you don't need to have problems with your stock tranny to go ahead and do it for just the improvement:thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Plus he does TH350 & TH400 for the C2 & C3 guys. :cheers:
I had mine put in up here in Ga by the guys at Mtn View Auto.....took it to 'em (drove there in 2nd........fun) @ 8:15 in the morning and picked it up @ 4:00, for $200.00. Pleasant surprise, to say the least. All in all, for a major prob, I guess I got lucky and had a good result w/few hassles. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
3,482 Posts
I got my converter from raptor transmissions. Very happy with it. they are great to work with and I havent had any problems with them.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Here are some plus and minus ideas for you.

The ZF is an odd duck. It is very expensive to rebuild, and one of the most noisy transmissions out there.

If you buy a used one, it will already have plenty of miles on it, and maybe some serious problems. You will still pay at least $1,500 for a good one.

I put a Richmond six in my 69, and they have a special unit to fit straight into the C4. Basically you would add a bell housing, clutch, clutch pedal and linkage...and be off and running.

I am very happy with my Richmond.

However....If I was doing a C4 trans...I would seriously look into the Tremec (TK0), and T6 units.

You could go with a T6 and pick up a .5 overdrive.

It would make your car very unique.

Either way...it is a ton of work.

My wife's 2000 is a stick, as well as my 69 (duh!), but my 85 Frankenvette is an auto with a freakmode stall converter (not as high as yours) and a heavy duty shift kit. It is actually very refreshing to punch the throttle in that car and go where I want with one hand and one foot in action.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I think I'd stick with the auto.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
I like the 700R4, and you need your car back QUICK!!!
forget the beater car pay more for shipping & get your new trans in the day you receive it!!!
:partyon: :partyon:

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
JCswm said:
I like the 700R4, and you need your car back QUICK!!!
forget the beater car pay more for shipping & get your new trans in the day you receive it!!!
:partyon: :partyon:
:agree:

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think I'm going to hold off on the 6 speed swap, for now. I'm going nuts not driving my Vette. I have to check out a few things before I order a new 700R4, to ensure I can have it shipped to the base's auto shop. Otherwise, I'm going to have to pay someone to install it.

69MyWay... thanks, you gave me some great info to think about! :thumbsup:

stilcrazee, I can't give up my C4, it's my first Vette and I love it! Plus, I really don't want another car payment so, after Renee's Tahoe, that should be it for awhile.

Thanks for the input everyone. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts