Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be getting my hands on about 3,000 bucks for 'vette money sometime soon. My suspension has all new bushing and the brakes are good, my interior is good to go, and all exterior components are good to go as well. This leaves me with nothing else to improve other than the motor. It is a mildly built 350 bored to 355 I believe with fairly new components. When it was purchased at around 90,000 miles the motor had 2,000 on it. It is now at 95,000 miles. So my question to the motor-smart people and those of you who have experience rebuilding for performance is what should I do/bolt on to this motor with 3,000 bucks?

PS-It has a stock 350 tranny so a stall and a rebuild kit for that are probably in order...

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I think you have did a fine job. I would not change a thing on your car. Now that we have settled that the 3K would make a good down payment on a turbo for my Z. And don't feel like you need to thank me for solving you problem. I'm happy to do it for you.:lookinup:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Luke -

I'd recommend saving the cash... you're going to need it down the road. USAFA only pays $100 a month for the first year. Toss that lump sum in a one year CD, get a couple hundred of interest and put it towards your 2011 Vette when you graduate

Just my .02

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just Because You Have Money In The Pocket Does'nt Mean You Have To Spend Spend Spend. Ever Heard Of A Rany Day???? Believer Me They Do Happen. Save The Money And Let It Grow For You And Put Some With It Every Month! Live A Little Less High On The Hog Now So You Can Buy Some Pork When Your Old. Retirement Is Just Around The Corner, Trust Me!!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
SCREW THAT!!! you specifically said it was Vette money..set of aluminum afr 195cc heads edelbrock air gap manifold, Crane roller cam and a edelbrock 750 cfm..any thing left...upgrade the headers

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
SCREW THAT!!! you specifically said it was Vette money..set of aluminum afr 195cc heads edelbrock air gap manifold, Crane roller cam and a edelbrock 750 cfm..any thing left...upgrade the headers
I would agree with most of this. Most bang for the buck is heads and cam. Stick with the quadrajet. When rebuilt properly, you can't do better.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A set of new AFR heads, new headers, and air gap manifold, a 750 carb (mighty demon??) a new xtreme energy cam? We'll see what happens...As far as freshman pay at the Academy, it sucks but it sure would be nice to be able to drive aound a real fast '77 'vette on the weekends than just a loud one with no torque. Thanks for the input everyone I really appreciate it and i'll do my best to get the most bang for my buck. :D

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
It's all about breathing. Think of easy air in, thru, out. Keep the quad. Spend it on something else.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
You can send it to me if you really have to get rid of it...:laughing: All jokes aside, I'd just spend it on gas the coming year and enjoy that '77!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cam swaps on c3s are relatively easy arent they? Remove the radiator and youre right there, no pulling the motor right?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Luke,
First thing I would recommend is research. Spend a little bit on books. Don't go out and buy a bunch of parts just because someone else says it's really cool stuff. Decide what you want from your car, then take some time and figure out what would be best for you.
Here are 3 books I recommend to get started (these are just the first 3 I could find quickly):

"The Complete Guide to Bolt-On STREET POWER" by Jay Storer, pub. by S-A Design & CarTech. Good basic learning about how it all works together.

"JOHN LINGENFELTER On Modifying Small-Block Chevy Engines" by J.L., pub. by HPBooks. This one goes farther in explaining it all (although he pushes his own products a little too much for my taste).

"Smokey Yunick's POWER SECRETS" by S.Y., pub. by S-A Design & CarTech. Gets into a lot more racing and serious high performance stuff, but a lot of it can still relate to street cars--depending on what you desire for your car.

There are many more out there.

In my opinion, AFR 180cc heads would be better for a mild 350 on the street (remember what I was saying in your exhaust thread?). They are pricey, oh yes. But good. Others make very good heads also, and for less $.

You have good pipes (even if they are in the garage rafters now!), you need headers to bring out thier potential. A good manifold, rebuild the Q-jet--Q-jets are very good carbs when in good condition & properly set up. Read Lars' papers for rebuild & info (does he post here?--He's in Lafayette).

Learn about camshafts---This is paramount! A bad cam choice can make everything else worthless. Study Camshafts!!!!!

Research stall converters & kits for your TH350.

I just got back a few hours ago from my first dyno run of my new (exactly 1 year old, 4000 miles), mild motor: 350", Q-jet, Weiand 8000 manifold, AFR 180 heads, 9.75 CR, CC XE 262H Cam (218*/.464" I X 224*/.470" E @114* LSA), Headman headers into 2 1/2" X-pipe, MSD w/6A sparker.
At the rear wheels I have 279 HP @ about 4700 RPM & 317 lb-ft with a real flat curve. Could be (will be!!) better but I'm not unhappy--I run 85 octane gas and get 14.5/16.6 MPG. With a worn out TH400 & a converter that stalls at about 900 RPM with a 3.08 diff. Semi-daily driver.

"Cam swaps are easy.....just remove the radiator...." Bwaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha! Silly boy, nothing on a Corvette is easy! But it is worth it!

Enough for now: just don't rush it or you may regret it.

John

PS. Or buy gold instead....Probably a better investment, & it feels so good in your hand!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts