Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking with my wife tonight, she suggested that I finish our 1968 C3 convertible back to original. I am in the process of a frame off and she really wants a C2. She feels that if I restore the car back to original we would be able to sell it for an amount that would allow us to buy a C2 that needs work. Hummmm. I really want to make it my own. It is a numbers matching car with a 327/350HP, M21, 370 Dif. All the little pieces are there. It really could be brought back to original. But probably better than factory. The tag says it was Corvette Bronze with Dark Orange interior, not my favorite combo. I would like to keep the original motor and replace it with a 383, Motion paint scheme (Dark Blue/White stripe), L-88 hood and black interior. I guess the question is, is she on track with this line of thinking. Does this make sense? Will a restored car to factory spec bring more on resale than a better than factory car. Please provide your opinions, I can take it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
IMO, unless you have something rare, like a 400 or 435 hp big block, you won't get enough for your '68 to buy any kind- of worthy C-2. Most driver C-2's in fair shape with or without matching numbers are going for at least 35K. Figure what you have in your '68 by the time you are finished with it and do the math. I can't see a way to pull it off.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
An easer question is what is the stock market going to do tommorow...

Good luck on your quest.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
My opinion is that you have a fine wife, keep her and figure out the car later. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
230 Posts
You could show her how much it'll cost to bring the C3 up to the high dollar resale point and then show her how much a C2 will cost, depending on the condition of it, to bring it up to a good looking if not restored driver. Then have her detirmine how much she might be willing to go into debt to do it. Just my 2cents.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
The more original the more it will be worth. 68's are getting more these days then in the past when they were not in high demand. How much is it worth, hard question in todays market.
If you do all the labor and I mean everything, maybe you can make some money on selling it but as Gary said probably not enough to get a C2 in decent shape. He should know since he's in the business. We're in the same area (New England) and you can find C2s for $30k but they need work.

If it were me and I wanted a C2 I would look over the cost of putting the car back on the road without a lot of intensive work and gaging the market at the time. Now is not a good time to sell and the reports for the NE economy are not good either which will affect local buying.

There's really no difference in your car and c2 under the body, they will run about the same. You know what you have and building it into a nice street car may change your wife opinoin once you let her lite up the tires!!:thumbsup:

good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The more original the more it will be worth. 68's are getting more these days then in the past when they were not in high demand. How much is it worth, hard question in todays market.
If you do all the labor and I mean everything, maybe you can make some money on selling it but as Gary said probably not enough to get a C2 in decent shape. He should know since he's in the business. We're in the same area (New England) and you can find C2s for $30k but they need work.

If it were me and I wanted a C2 I would look over the cost of putting the car back on the road without a lot of intensive work and gaging the market at the time. Now is not a good time to sell and the reports for the NE economy are not good either which will affect local buying.

There's really no difference in your car and c2 under the body, they will run about the same. You know what you have and building it into a nice street car may change your wife opinoin once you let her lite up the tires!!:thumbsup:

good luck
Thank you. Great input. Gary my name is Peter. I called you last week about my TA and steering box. You right about being the same as each other. I will think about that. Maybe I should forget about restoring the body and interior on the 68 and find a C2 to marry with my chassis?

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Peter
I would advise against swapping out the frame of the C3 to C2 body unless you plan on keeping the car forever. The VIN is stamped into the frames making them the most valuable with the original body. Yes it can be done but when all is said and done it will be better to either restore the 68 or buy a real C2.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Peter
I would advise against swapping out the frame of the C3 to C2 body unless you plan on keeping the car forever. The VIN is stamped into the frames making them the most valuable with the original body. Yes it can be done but when all is said and done it will be better to either restore the 68 or buy a real C2.
Yes I agree. I really was not serious about doing that with the car I have. It does not make sense. My car was a barn find and pretty complete and oeriginal. I will complete what I started and do a fantastic job with it. I will drive it and enjoy it. Maybe down the road I will entertain a C2.

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
For the cost of restoring the 68 you would be better off selling it now and buying the C-2 project you want. You will lose money restoring the C-3 and selling it. IF...and that's a big if...you are ok with losing money on the sale of the C-3 and plan to just take the sum you get to purchase a C-2 then don't go to wild with it as you narrow your market of people that will buy it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Screw the C2....build what you want out of the C3 and have fun with it. Cars are HORRIBLE investments so don't look at them as such...Build it, drive it and enjoy it...

BUT if you must have a C2, sell the C3 NOW before you dump anymore money into it...cut your losses now and move to C2. Restoring the C3 then selling it will bury you.... The restoration will cost you more then you can sell it for....basically giving the car itself away.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Screw the C2....build what you want out of the C3 and have fun with it. Cars are HORRIBLE investments so don't look at them as such...Build it, drive it and enjoy it...

BUT if you must have a C2, sell the C3 NOW before you dump anymore money into it...cut your losses now and move to C2. Restoring the C3 then selling it will bury you.... The restoration will cost you more then you can sell it for....basically giving the car itself away.
:agree:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts