Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
DC Crew
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a dumb question but ** you know me

@ shows I see say heater hoses that are old but look brand new ** some told me thy use WD40 some use just detail spray **

Any extra ideas since will be in the MUSCLE CAR & CORVETTE NATIONALS next month in Chicago * and just want to do more in the hose dept * btw just rattled can the whole bottom of my car almost looks new * [ wish I had a lift to do that ]
Thinking I will not drive the car till then * and some nice weather the past few days DRANNNNN started cleaning to soon
jim

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
Sounds like a dumb question but ** you know me

@ shows I see say heater hoses that are old but look brand new ** some told me thy use WD40 some use just detail spray **

Any extra ideas since will be in the MUSCLE CAR & CORVETTE NATIONALS next month in Chicago * and just want to do more in the hose dept * btw just rattled can the whole bottom of my car almost looks new * [ wish I had a lift to do that ]
Thinking I will not drive the car till then * and some nice weather the past few days DRANNNNN started cleaning to soon
jim

I like Adams In and Out spray

https://www.detailersdomain.com/products/adams-in-38-out-spray

·
Registered
345 Posts
Adams also make VRT (Vinyl, rubber, tires) It's water based and is non-shiny. Just makes it look new

http://adamspolishes.com/adam-s-super-vrt-tire-trim-dressing.html?___SID=U
I agree.
I prefer the VRT as it's more controllable. In&out spray is effectively VRT in a thin spray form so the results are more or less the same but the spray gets everywhere and it's harder to knock down evenly on the fenders, firewall etc.
But either way they do a real nice job and don't leave a greasy finish that everything sticks to.
I use in&out on the daily driver though, just quicker and I don't care that much http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
M

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
You would be surprised at the results achieved by using brake fluid on them. Just put some on a rag and wipe the hose down. Then wipe it off with a clean rag.

It doesn't add shine but makes the rubber clean and looks almost like new. Works really well on tires too. Used it allot for shows before the products above were around.

Having suggested it, I should also mention that rubber composition has likely changed allot since then too. Try it on a scrap piece first to check results.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,479 Posts

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Optimum makes a tire gel (Opti-Bond) that is a lot less greasy than VRT and looks better on all rubber because of this. It also cost a hell of a lot less at $15.99 for a 32-ounce bottle compared to $24.99 for a $16-ounce bottle of VRT. You guys using VRT need to wake up! If you looked at both products side by side, you would swear that they are both the same identical product.

I did a video about it a long time ago.

·
DC Crew
3,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
had a idea junk would step in thanks and thanks to all

wonder where the dealer is located in chicago will call monday ***

jim

·
Registered
345 Posts
Optimum makes a tire gel (Opti-Bond)

...I did a video about it a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8RjWsI7wyM
I saw that video but didn't notice much of anything other that that girl there.

Seriously though, for me, The semi-local dealer for Optimum is perpetually out of stock on the stuff (or so it seems). I try all kinds of chemicals when I get a chance but everything new is an expensive is a crap-shoot do to $$$ shipping. Been looking for GD IUDJ up here and nobody carries it. Costs a small fortune to ship it up across the border.

I'll go on your word JM and order some optimum tire gel next time their in stock and give it a try.
M

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,479 Posts
The reason I haven't used Opti-Bond is that they say it is high gloss and I really don't like the high gloss look. Adams VRT has a sheen but it looks like it is new rather than shiny. I'd rather pay a little more and get what I like instead of trying to save a few bucks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Oh crap really, if I wanted glossy I could use armor all:laughing: I like the sheen of vrt, but don't use it on my tires either,

Personally I've never found VRT to be that greasy but I also knock it down pretty good after it's on.

But with the Canadian Peso the way it is I'm open to alternatives if they do the job. Part of the reason I'd like to try the iudj in it's concentrated form but can't seem to get it up here.
M

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
The reason I haven't used Opti-Bond is that they say it is high gloss and I really don't like the high gloss look. Adams VRT has a sheen but it looks like it is new rather than shiny. I'd rather pay a little more and get what I like instead of trying to save a few bucks
Then you haven't looked at that video because not only did I apply it right on camera, but you can clearly see with your very own eyes that it is NOT shiny at all. It's not a case of believing me, it's a case of believing what your eyes are actually seeing.

I hate shiny tire dressings too. I also know when something has been marked up like crazy. Let's face it, Adam's does not manufacture anything that they sell. They do not operate a manufacturing facility whatsoever. Everything is made by another company and their labels are added to the bottles by Adam's. You and I can do the exact same thing if we wanted to as these companies (the parent of Chemical Guy's for one), will sell you their stuff for you to relabel also. It's a common practice in the detailing industry as well as other industries too. What I have chosen to do is buy my products from companies that actually OWN their manufacturing facility and create the chemicals that they sell themselves. That way, I'm not paying out the wazoo for a product that is actually sold cheaper by the real manufacturer.

If I put a plain bottle of VRT next to a plain bottle of Opti-Bond, I would bet the pink slip on my Corvette that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, even if you used them both. How do I know? I still have a gallon of VRT and a 32-ounce bottle of Opti-Bond. ;)

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
... Part of the reason I'd like to try the iudj in it's concentrated form but can't seem to get it up here.
M
Have you tried calling Gary Dean directly? He always answers his phone.

·
DC PIT CREW BOSS
39,479 Posts
Then you haven't looked at that video because not only did I apply it right on camera, but you can clearly see with your very own eyes that it is NOT shiny at all.
No need to get the panties in a wad, I'm just going by what they promote on their website. If it is different then they need to change it.

"Unbeatable shine and protection in a water-based, VOC-free formula! Opti-Bond Tire Gel is a thick, water-based formula that provides high gloss shine and great durability on all tires, wheel wells, interior and exterior trim, vinyl, and dashboards"

My highlighting

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
No need to get the panties in a wad, I'm just going by what they promote on their website. If it is different then they need to change it.
Why do you think I'm upset? Maybe you're reading my response wrong? :huh:

"Unbeatable shine and protection in a water-based, VOC-free formula! Opti-Bond Tire Gel is a thick, water-based formula that provides high gloss shine and great durability on all tires, wheel wells, interior and exterior trim, vinyl, and dashboards"

My highlighting
Again, you haven't watched me apply it in the video. If you goop it on, it will create a shiny look. But I mention that in the video and the same goes for VRT.

This is clearly a case of, "You can lead a horse to water..." :lookinup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts