Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what type of internet connection everyone has when on this forum.

At home I've got a dial-up and at work it's multiple OC3 lines. Will be moving soon and thinking of getting DirectWAY since cable access or DSL is not available in my area.:(

·
Registered
46 Posts
remember whan dsl meant something else:partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon: :partyon:

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
ragvette said:
AT&T/Comcast just released High Speed cable access in my area. :partyon:
I have AT&T cable. It's a "forget about it" service that just continues to work well. When tested I get 1.8 - 2.0 Mbps download.... with the throttle upload at 128K.

I have 5 machines behind a firewall, and a T3 wouldn't make surfing faster. Once you have a high-speed connection, your perceived "speed" is as fast as the site can send you the data.

Keep in mind that my firewall is port scanned about 10 - 50 times per hour, so make sure you have a hardware firewall vs. software firewall. You don't want a software firewall eating up all your CPU cycles.........

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Patrick96LT4 said:
I have AT&T cable. It's a "forget about it" service that just continues to work well. When tested I get 1.8 - 2.0 Mbps download.... with the throttle upload at 128K.

I have 5 machines behind a firewall, and a T3 wouldn't make surfing faster. Once you have a high-speed connection, your perceived "speed" is as fast as the site can send you the data.

Keep in mind that my firewall is port scanned about 10 - 50 times per hour, so make sure you have a hardware firewall vs. software firewall. You don't want a software firewall eating up all your CPU cycles.........
Thanks for the tips. Was going to setup a MS ISA Server as a firewall or maybe just purchase a router with firewall built-in. The ISA server will give me more control (ie Log files that I can pump into my SQL Server, filters, caching) but I'll have to configure it and maintain it.

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
ragvette said:
Thanks for the tips. Was going to setup a MS ISA Server as a firewall or maybe just purchase a router with firewall built-in. The ISA server will give me more control (ie Log files that I can pump into my SQL Server, filters, caching) but I'll have to configure it and maintain it.
You can get a Linksys Firewall w/4 100mbps switches for $70 now. Other then tweaking a couple of ports in the firewall config, out of the box it is awesome.

I long ago turned off the logging features, because it was just another thing to worry about.

And, by having a network appliance act as your firewall, it frees up the machine that you wanted to use for MS ISA. And, frankly, I think any Microsoft product would be suck-ass for security.

:laughing:

·
Official Forklift Driver
7,068 Posts
I just received an AOhelL DSL unit yesterday from Fed Ex. I had no idea it was coming b/c the wife ordered it. When I asked why she bought it she said she didn't buy anything, they sent it free!:surprised

This thing ROCKS!! For the first time in my life I got to see a video download faster than it plays!:cool: It was the 7+ minute GunshipMed.wmv vid!

·
DC Pit Crew
11,957 Posts
at school i have T1 it rocks...at home we have AOHELL but hopefully we'll be setting up a wireless network.....(i'd prefer hardwire but my brother is paying for it so i'm not going to argue)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts