Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put off ordering my wheels and tires because I just can't make up my mind.:thud:

I love the look of the stock wheels for the 69 in chrome and like the idea of keeping it true to a 69.

However....:D

Then when I see a Vette or classic car with the Crager SS or Torque Thrust wheels, I think my Vette needs those. Then I start thinking everyone has Cragers or TT's if they don't have stock. Plus...alot of "other" classic cars have the same Cragers so it wouldn't be that special.

I value the good Vette people at DC's opinions and really want to hear what you guys think.;)

Btw, Vette they are going on is pictured in my avatar and in my photos.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Back in the day before they were banned, many racers ran the Halibrad Magnesium Wheels.

You can get replicas in Aluminium. Period correct but rare:thumbsup:

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back in the day before they were banned, many racers ran the Halibrad Magnesium Wheels.

You can get replicas in Aluminium. Period correct but rare:thumbsup:

Why were they banned Midnite?

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your new hotrod just screams TT's ...
Is American Racing the only maker of the TT's? Is the Torque Thrust's a brand or style?

Sorry for the questions but I only know C6 wheels.:lookinup::laughing:

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Why were they banned Midnite?
Magnesium burns! Once magnesium ignites it burns incredibly hot and will burn without outside air (under water, etc.) and is extremely hard to put out.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Magnesium burns! Once magnesium ignites it burns incredibly hot and will burn without outside air (under water, etc.) and is extremely hard to put out.

Interesting, did not know that.:thumbsup:

Neat looking wheels, but I think I need some chrome/bling to set my baby off.:D

·
Premium Member
53,226 Posts
Is American Racing the only maker of the TT's? Is the Torque Thrust's a brand or style?

Sorry for the questions but I only know C6 wheels.:lookinup::laughing:
There might be clones... but they are so cheap I'd just get the American Racing brand. Specifically, the style is called "Torq Thrust II". There are tons of distributors... TireRack, etc.

They also have a two other versions, one with a black center, one with a dark gray center.

www.americanracing.com

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There might be clones... but they are so cheap I'd just get the American Racing brand. Specifically, the style is called "Torq Thrust II". There are tons of distributors... TireRack, etc.

They also have a two other versions, one with a black center, one with a dark gray center.

www.americanracing.com
Thanks for that info Patrick.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I absoutely LOVE the look of a nice set of original rallys, thats my favorite look, so that would be my first choice. But if the rallys werent available, i would most definently put on some TT II's. Those rims are one of the only rims i personally like on the vettes other than rallys. otherwise, the rallys are my first choice:thumbsup: whatever you choose, though, your car will be stunning and im sure you will be happy with your choice.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Are you sticking with 15" diameter or going to larger sizes?

I like the classic 5 spoke look. There's a red '69 in "My Corvette Photos" with some aluminum 5 spoke wheels with graphite centers. I'll try to post it here, but am no good at it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
Crager's were the shizzle when I was a kid. That's what I went with. Old school RULES! :partyon:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Couple things not mentioned:

C5 and C6 wheels. Both gens have several variations of wheels that will fit your stud pattern but will require adapters to make up for the larger backspacing and possibly moving the E-brake cable bracket.

The after market has a HUGE selection of wheels that look great of classic cars. Foose has several very attractive designs. I think too many people assume after market wheels are just for the sticker and fart can crowd. Not true.

Outside of looking at other Corvette stock wheels, I would suggest you stop in at a local shop that specializes in wheels and tires. They will have binders full of catalogs of after market wheels by big companies that have been making after market wheels for decades. They release new ones every year for fresh looks that you won't find on cars like yours.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts

www.americanracing.com
:cheers: TT or the C S/S :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
IMO TT and Crager SS are over done. They are like the standard. Do you want to copy everyone else, or be a bit different? I'd rather have a unique car. The other thing you REALLY need to consider is performance of the tires and tire options. Staying with a 15" tire will limit your tire options substantially. Before you know it, the only place to buy a 15" tire is going to be Coker. :lookinup:

If you like the stock look, I do, I'd go with a set of 17" or 18" steel chrome ralleys. They'll look like OEM, but give you a wide selection of tires. Unless you have a numbers matching car, why keep the OEM junk quality tires???? A 17" or 18" tire will still give you plenty of sidewall or that meaty look.

If you want to get away from the factory ralley look, go to a quality tire/wheel store and start looking at other options.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
If you like the stock look, I do, I'd go with a set of 17" or 18" steel chrome ralleys. They'll look like OEM, but give you a wide selection of tires. Unless you have a numbers matching car, why keep the OEM junk quality tires???? A 17" or 18" tire will still give you plenty of sidewall or that meaty look.
:agree:
The larger size rallye wheels from Wheel Vintiques look great, particularly on a stock car. With that custom paint, I'd be tempted to go with something like a TT II with the gray center and chrome rim. Plenty of companies offer custom 3-piece wheels that you could get in any size you like. I do think a wheel with dark spokes and a thick chrome lip looks best on the C3, but nothing taller than about 17" unless you're trying to clear some huge brakes.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are a wealth of information, I knew you would be.;)

How do you think these would look on my Vette? I really like these. Or do you think I should do all chrome?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts