Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in today to a Brake Masters to get a lot of stuff done. I got a 4 wheel allignment(it really needed it), brake fluid flush, oil change, and I wanted to have them check the A/C because its not working. I guess its not that important considering its 100 degrees outside....:lookinup:

well they took care of everything and turns out there was a vacuum leak with the A/C so they fixed that and the A/C seemed to be running just fine when it was still.

now when I took it for a drive it was something different. I hit the auto button to get the cold A/C and this happens.

Problem #1)
the a/c starts working BUT for some reason my steering wheel changes because it gets really hard and its REALLY HARD to turn it right or left and it goes back to normal ONCE i turn off the A/C.

Problem #2) I got some rocker arms for my LT1 so I have BIG VALVE COVERS. Unfortunately the Alternator is RIGHT ON the right aluminum valve cover. Right on top of it and touching.

when I turn ON THE A/C. im assuming since the A/C compressor and alternator are so close it seems to move around and I hear a quick screeching sound in front. Looks like the compressor is causing the alternator to move from one side to the other on the valve cover. it isnt alot but I hear one screeching sound then a coupple seconds later I hear another and I could see some marks on the valve cover right next to the alternator.

its hard to explain I hope you guys understand. Also when I hear the screeching sound I feel a noticable performance difference from my car. I dont know if the fact the alternator is causing a vibration on the valve covers when it moves and that might be causing the car to react someway.

just wanted to know if anyone has had this problem. Can I use my ORIGINAL valve covers with my LT4 roller rockers? they told me no. The second shop but considering they folded and werent familiar with GM vehicles I now can replace them if necessary.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Sounds like you have a belt slipping. Making sure you have the proper tension and alignment is essential. It takes quite a bit of power to run an A/C compressor. This could also effect you P.S. the way you describe. If everything else checks out, and it only does it with the A/C on, then it could be a problem with the compressor itself, or it's building up too much head pressure and stalling. Make sure your cooling fan comes on with the A/C.

Re-read you post. You definitely need to deal with the loose components of which you speak. That will more than likely fix it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, you can use the factory composite material valve covers with just about ANY of the commonly used roller rockers out there......Even for some of the really wide trunion roller rockers (at the very most) people can usually take a dremel tool with a cutoff disk and just trim the oil drip tabs under the composite valvecovers so that there's "plenty" of clearance......if you ever have to do this, there are pictures of my valvecovers right "after" the oil drip tabs were trimmed down (on my car domain link in sig)........the rest of your described issues really need to be looked over in person.....kinda tough to tell exactly what the issue is from your discription.....but it honestly sounds like they (the hairbrain shops:D ) might have left out some of the important metal bracing bars that went from the AC compressor and Alternator brace to the header bolts.....nothing should be moving around "at all", it should all be "rock solid" .....mabe post some good "close up" pictures of the drivers side header and AC compressor area, this way we can see if something is clearly missing............glad your car is running anyway..........Joe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you can use the factory composite material valve covers with just about ANY of the common used roller rockers out there......Even for some of the really wide trunion roller rockers (at the very most) people have to take a dremel tool with a cutoff disk and just trim the oil drip tabs under the composite valvecovers so that there plenty of clearance......if you ever have to do this, there are pictures of my valvecovers right "after" the oil drip tabs were trimmed down (on my car domain link in sig)........the rest of your described issues really need to be looked over in person.....kinda tough to tell exactly what the issue is from your discription.....but it honest seems like they (the hairbran shops) left out some of the important metal bracing bars that go from the compressor to the header bolts....nothing should be moving around "at all" ....mabe post some good pictures of the drivers side header and AC compressor area, this way we can see if something is missing............glad your car is running..........Joe:thumbsup:

hey joe. Actually I totally misunderstood what was happening. I took it to a friend who is a mechanic right now and we opened the hood and I turned on the car with the A/C on. The screeching sound was actually coming from the alternator we believe. It just happened twice and I didnt hear it again. He took the belt off and spun the thing in front of the alternator and we heard some kind of noise.

He says we shouldnt really hear anything. He checked the power steering pump and looks like that needs to be replaced. He doesnt know if maybe when I turn on the A/C that extra load in the area is causing my power steering pump to do something causing my steering wheel to lock up. Im going to have it checked out monday or tuesday.

he had a scanner and he checked things out. He told me the alternator charge I think was at 13.9 or something which he said that seems to be normal so i might not need to replace it. but well see. thanks again guys

·
Registered
441 Posts
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
494 Posts
13.5-14.5 is what you should see out of a known good alternator..... I am wondering if your A/C compressor and clutch might be getting ready to freeze up. This would explain the slip in the belt casusing the p/s to fade and the screething noise that you heard. As for the alternator..... maybe the forgot to reinstall a mount or bracket... Or something over there is loose.

JMO....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts