Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a lead on a neglected '76 'vette in a town a few miles away. It's sat for most of the 5 years that the current owner has had it. Numbers matching motor and original color, but not original paint job. Edelbrock intake and new Holley carb, power steering, power brakes, power windows, A/C, automatic.

Frame looks really good with no more than a little surface rust. Interior is a little dirty and would take some TLC and there are a few tears on the passenger seat, but overall not too shabby. Tranny has a definite leak and probably would take a full rebuild. But from what I understand a good rebuild on a TH-350 can be had for a couple hundred bucks.

Pictures speak a 1000, so have a look below. What's this old girl worth?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Buyer can't hear run, $3500ish

Buyer can hear run but can't really drive 4500ish

Buyer can top off the tranny then drive it home $6500

Really depends on a lot of stuff you can't tell from pictures, like if the accessories still work, if all lenses and chrome trim are beat up, if the brake pedal goes to the floor from sitting 5 years, etc.

And whoever put that distributor in had to reclock the plug wires to make it run, truly the mark of a master craftsman. Let's hope he didn't do too much else.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Who's brown Sharpie is that in the wiper trough? :laughing:

Flex fan, cold air intake disconnected in favor of a bug eye?

PCV system not being used?

Oh, and a leaky transmission doesn't mean for sure it needs a rebuild. TH350 transmission are quite durable. The leak could simply be a front seal, rear seal, or pan gasket. Much easier to fix than rebuild.

:agree: Aout $6K if it'll drive home legally.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My L48 75 has a th400, are you sure it's a th350? Either way, similar rebuild cost.

If the person who's been doing custom work to that car changed the transmission filter, you can be sure dimpled pan rails are to blame for some of the leak.

Dipstick gasket is another likely source of large leaks when they sit. Lines and main seals don't leak too much from sitting, they leak a small amount after shutdown which accumulates after many drive cycles. But if a car leaks a large puddle from sitting for a long period, it's almost always pan gasket or dipstick seal.

good luck!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Buyer can't hear run, $3500ish

Buyer can hear run but can't really drive 4500ish

Buyer can top off the tranny then drive it home $6500

Really depends on a lot of stuff you can't tell from pictures, like if the accessories still work, if all lenses and chrome trim are beat up, if the brake pedal goes to the floor from sitting 5 years, etc.

And whoever put that distributor in had to reclock the plug wires to make it run, truly the mark of a master craftsman. Let's hope he didn't do too much else.
:agree:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I didn't notice before but it's actually still sitting parked with the temp tag from when it was purchased.

Pretty sure bet that it didn't drive much within the 30 days after purchase or he'd have had flashing lights in his rear view mirror.

It could be a very cool project, and assuming it can be driven I wouldn't hesitate to investigate further.

I see some hack wiring and stuff that indicates a Bubba owner, on top of some of the other things.

I'd be real curious to see if the power windows function.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Looks like a good car to hotrod maybe a 383 and a 4 speed

·
Registered
228 Posts
How many miles does it have on it?
My guess would start at 5500$ and drop from there if you can't drive it or see major work ahead.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
I'd offer $4000.00

Not original intake/carb/valve covers, Bubba'd wiring, paint, leaking tranny...

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd go with the $4000 offer because of the above mentioned problems. Also it my be my eyes playing tricks on me but it sure looks like the wiper motor is missing

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I'd offer $4000.00

Not original intake/carb/valve covers, Bubba'd wiring, paint, leaking tranny...

The non original parts missing wouldn't be an issue for a lot of people. An original 1976 intake, carb, and covers, aren't worth much. In fact, the after market intake, carb, and covers might actually increase value for some people.

Yeah wiper motor seems to be MIA.

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the input, guys. :thumbsup:

They did get it started up after a few tries and it sounded surprisingly smooth. No doubt that bubba has had his hand in this one more than once. I saw at least the passenger side window go up and down most of the way. Not sure if it has a TH 400 or 350, I just took a wild guess. From what they tell me the brakes need some work. Not sure if that means it needs a new master or booster or caliper rebuild.

I was originally very interested when I was told it was a '72. Was hoping I could pick it up for $3500, get it cleaned up and turn it around to a good home for a profit. But once I found out it wasn't a chrome bumper I lost interest. D_B, it looks to me like a good project for you ;) I bet if a guy walked in there with a check for $3250 he could put it on a trailer.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
I was going to say maybe $6000.:huh:

The interior didn't look too terrible but the engine bay is a wreck. Of course I paid $3000 for my 69 and it didn't have an engine, trans or interior so what do I know.:laughing:

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Looks like a potentially nice car. Tranny leak is probably the front seal where it's been sitting. Does the seller have the original engine parts to go with?

$7K or near. If it were my car and you offered me $3K or less, I would chalk you up as a tire kicker.

Good luck.

FWIW: I'm not certain when the switch was made, but during this period L-82s with AT got the TH400; L-48 cars got the TH350. That continued until the TH400 was phased out.

:thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,779 Posts
This year I bought a 50k mile 75 coupe, L48 4 speed, nice body,near mint interior,all numbers matching for $7500.
The 75 L82 coupe with 4 spd,gymkana, was $3000- all original with matching numbers.

If it has the original bumpers they're probably ready to crack and break apart. Seats and door panels are costly. Last year for that interior too, 77 started with more plastic, different gauge panel and console.

The auto is worth less to most buyers. Those came with 308 gears unless someone changed them. The engine mods are not really a game breaker either way.

Sitting for 5 years will require a complete brake system as the fluid will be acidic mud. Lines may be bad too. Gas tank may have issues with the bladder and or rust forming behind it. Stock ac systems on a lot of these cars hasn't worked in years, many are open to the environment and costly to repair.

Could be a nice car but could also be one that takes too much to flip and make a $ on. Looking to build a driver and flipping a car are two different paths. So think it over good, remember everyone thinks their vette is valued like a 67 BB with 1000 miles on it.

Good luck

·
Registered
350 Posts
remember everyone thinks their vette is valued like a 67 BB with 1000 miles on it.

Good luck
Now that is an understatement! Way to many folks have developed that line of thinking

·
Premium Member
10,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
caught word by the end of the day that she let it go for $2500. No doubt that's a good buy for the guy that took it, but I wouldn't say she got robbed. I'm just glad it'll be back on the road instead of rotting away :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
caught word by the end of the day that she let it go for $2500. No doubt that's a good buy for the guy that took it, but I wouldn't say she got robbed. I'm just glad it'll be back on the road instead of rotting away :thumbsup:

I'm glad someone got it for a good deal.

I'm holing out for a deal on a Nova, or a 1973 Corvette.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts