Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I did a ton a work to my 92 today:
Harmonic balancer, Power steering cross over tube, starter, transmission service, rear diff service, fuel filter, rear brakes and rotors machined, rear wheel bearings, upper and lower front ball joints, etc. etc..

Now my question.... my front brake calipers are very loose. They are being held in by a single pin with an "E" clip. (This seems just a little bit too cheezy for such an otherwise well designed car.) There is a lot of play in the brake pads and caliper (up and down.) Is there supposed to be a set of shims at the top of the brake pads? Is the little pin supposed to have a sleeve? Could it be that my caliper/brake mounting brackets are just worn out? (186,000 miles) Is it just normal in a Vette front brake system? (Find it hard to believe that they should be so loose.)

HELP!... please...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Having been a victim of the C4 front brake design, let me say I hate them...

They are designed to be 'quick change' so you just have to pull the pin and you can change out the pads. The pin and the contact points where the pin sits on the caliper and mounting bracket, can and DO wear out. At the very least I recomend putting in new pins, that should tighten things up some.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I thought I was missing something. Just doesn't seem right to have flopping brake pads. If new pins won't tighten things up, I think I'm going to try some home made shim stock spacers...

What's involved in a conversion to C-5? What all has to be changed out? Any mods? Cost? Rotors?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Biggest thing about a C5 conversion is that your stock wheels won't fit- need A-molds or 17" aftermarket. Look it the sticky threads for my post about the conversion....tons of info.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Do you have these on there?

http://www.vbandp.com/detail.aspx?ID=705

Normally the calipers are very tight and the C5 caliper is the same design. I work on my brakes a lot and remove the top pin as I find it easier to load the caliper with it coming off that way. The pin should have grease, I use high temp synthetic wheel bearing grease on mine. When I first got the car the pins were very worn.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brakes don't have the clips you have pictured. Do they go on top of the brake pads? If so, I would assume that new brake pads should come with the clips?

Coolblue... An excuse to buy some cool wheels?? Twist my arm..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts