Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Hi,

Seeing some ad for "catch can" stuff. Is it rip off or truely based on an issue?

For example: http://www.byunspeed.com/product_in...17810&osCsid=1ebf128829333248d45a759592d4d366

Have nothing to do with these guys.

Thanks,

Cédric
The basic premise of catch cans are that they collect oil, water, and condensed fuel vapor from the negative pressure side of the PCV system.

You probably know the PCV system existes to remove fuel and water vapor from the crankcase to reduce corrosion and decrease oil dilution. In the US the EPA did not wat that fuel and oil laiden air ro be release in to the open atmosphere so the quick and dirty method for the auto industry was to route that gas back into the intake to the oil and fuel vapor could be burned off in the combustion cycle.

What a catch can does is allow for those vapors to condense and be collected before they enter the intake system. The preformance benifit theory is that oil burns poorly and water vapor not at all so it decreases the overall performance of the intake charge.

Some dowsides.

1. You have to empty them. Now you have .5-1 liter(quarts for us yankees) of oily fuel laiden water to dispose of. If you race or hit a HDPE that can be as often as every couple of hours.

2. If poorly designed, they can do nothing or worse yet gather up the fluid then send it to the intake in one large shot. Also in poor design is difficulty in emptying nothing like dripping oily, fuel laiden water all over your serpentine assembly and fron of the engine.

Personally, if I were not chasing every last HP out of a motor I wouldn't bother

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Bought mine from a (previous) DC vendor after having the intake removed (for other reasons) and discovering waaaaaay too much oil inside the intake. No, my Z has not even hit 20K miles, but the redline has been identified and used. Those redlines have resulted in probably a total of 4 to 6 ounces of oil captured in the catch-can over a year (7 month driving season). Removal of the oil during those specific redline events was usually performed wearing a white shirt, no gloves and a Dixie cup. The catch-can oil was then returned to the engine thru the oil fill cap or left on the seat of a Porsche competitor.:devil: Once i did add it to a cup of coffee. :surprised Not mine. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being difficult, I would rate the catch-can oil draining to be a "0" on the Z. In fact, I believe my wife has done it for me on a few occassions, :whip: while also holding a refreshing cold beverage.

Now was it worth it? For me I believe so, after seeing the amount of oil sucked into the intake before it was cleaned. This is not a normal place for oil to travel :huh:Hmmmm.....6 (or more) ounces in a driving season (year), in a car that I've had since new for 8 years, totals 48+ ounces of oil that would have gone thru the intake if not for the catch-can.

I also have one on my wifes DD 6.2 Denali, because she too has been known to use the "go fast" pedal and rotate the rubber on occasions. The Denali catch-can gets checked every time I open the hood. It is a little more difficult to drain, only because I have to stand on a 5 gallon bucket to reach over the fender. Does it work?............It works for me.:D

·
Premium Member
4,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bascially what you guys are saying is that it isn't a rip off and that actually improves the life of the engine.

Is it truely significant in terms of difference? Or something that has never been measured?

Thx,

Cédric

·
Registered
559 Posts
Bought mine from a (previous) DC vendor after having the intake removed (for other reasons) and discovering waaaaaay too much oil inside the intake. No, my Z has not even hit 20K miles, but the redline has been identified and used. Those redlines have resulted in probably a total of 4 to 6 ounces of oil captured in the catch-can over a year (7 month driving season). Removal of the oil during those specific redline events was usually performed wearing a white shirt, no gloves and a Dixie cup. The catch-can oil was then returned to the engine thru the oil fill cap or left on the seat of a Porsche competitor.:devil: Once i did add it to a cup of coffee. :surprised Not mine. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being difficult, I would rate the catch-can oil draining to be a "0" on the Z. In fact, I believe my wife has done it for me on a few occassions, :whip: while also holding a refreshing cold beverage.

Now was it worth it? For me I believe so, after seeing the amount of oil sucked into the intake before it was cleaned. This is not a normal place for oil to travel :huh:Hmmmm.....6 (or more) ounces in a driving season (year), in a car that I've had since new for 8 years, totals 48+ ounces of oil that would have gone thru the intake if not for the catch-can.

I also have one on my wifes DD 6.2 Denali, because she too has been known to use the "go fast" pedal and rotate the rubber on occasions. That catch-can gets checked every time I open the hood. It is a little more difficult to drain, only because I have to stand on a 5 gallon bucket to reach over the fender. Does it work?............It works for me.:D
I run a catch can as well, I think it does what it is intened to do.

One thought if I may, you should have your wife stand on the 5 gallon bucket and reach over the fender:rolleyes: while you offer any helping hand, as needed of course:D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
they do work, if you get a quality one. I was amazed how much oil it had in it for my first oil change. Way better than pumping it back into the motor.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I run a catch can as well, I think it does what it is intened to do.

One thought if I may, you should have your wife stand on the 5 gallon bucket and reach over the fender:rolleyes: while you offer any helping hand, as needed of course:D
:laughing: Good idea thank you, with or without the White shirt?, ............it might get wet if I were to also be washing the truck at the time. I believe, come Spring, I may have to introduce her to the right side of "her" power plant. Seeing that she is all to familar with the right side of mine, errr, I mean the Z's. :D

And yes, she does seem to reach redline with her 6.2 more often and that catch-can requires more frequent draining than mine. :devil:

·
Registered
559 Posts
:laughing: Good idea thank you, with or without the White shirt?, ............it might get wet if I were to also be washing the truck at the time. I believe, come Spring, I may have to introduce her to the right side of "her" power plant. Seeing that she is all to familar with the right side of mine, errr, I mean the Z's. :D

And yes, she does seem to reach redline with her 6.2 more often and that catch-can requires more frequent draining than mine. :devil:
I would go without, you how hard it is to get stains out of a white shirt;) :cheers:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
A quick search here will result in many threads and different manufacturers of catch-cans. Not all cans are made the same...........or provide easy of draining or cleaning filter depending on location and type of fittings used. Some may use polycarbonate bowls that may not take the heat buildup under hood. Just something to consider if you also have headers.....location, location, location,.........just my .02

1 - 10 of 10 Posts