Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to dig up information about the Holley 4175 and 4011 models. Both are 650 cfm and spread bore. Both are considered replacements for Q-Jets, and both are supposedly decent mixers for street cruising.

What scares me is the number of parts each has. The exploded views on the Holley website show over a hundred parts.:surprised

I'm not wanting a Demon because it's a square bore like my Edelbrock, and Q-Jets are too freaky to deal with.

What are your thoughts about Holley's in general and what you may know about the spread bores?

I exchanged a few emails with the Holley tech guys, and to be frank, they're so noncommital, I feel it was a waste of time

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I've always had the best luck with Q-jets. Just street applications
I've not been involved with drag race setups. In the circle track applications I've dealt with Holley is the way most guys go.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Guys I don't like Holleys but that is all I will run. I run them because I really know them. Out of the box I find at least 1/2 have a major problem. In fact out of the last 4 I bought new 3 could not be used without overhauling. And these are new.
I have learned to spend at least 1 day per car rebuilding or at least going through them leaning out the idle, working on the transfer slots and correcting poor machining.
I have also talked to holley reps and don't frind them helpful.
So if I just wanted to buy a carb and not do extensive reworking I would NOT buy a holley.
Once again I only use them because I know them and how to make them work.
Once you understand the carb the many parts don't bother you.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I'll stay with Edelborck. Might get a 750, and close up the primary venturies to about 1.125.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've ran Holley spread bores, edlebrock, quadrajets. The sweetest runner is the Holley. Edlebrock was good as well but run a dam good filter prior to it mine needs blowing out regularly.

·
Registered
745 Posts
im with norval,ive had a few come out of the box new that ive had to dismantle and rebuild to run right ,but i know them inside and out and will always buy holleys.

·
Banned
1,873 Posts
Dellorto DHLA 45 Tri Jet Side draft pressure carb (off Lotus Esprit Turbo)

"The last carburettors Dell’Orto produced were the unique 'tri-jet' DHLA45’s for Lotus, which as well as an idle and main circuit, has a power jet circuit for extra enrichment at high revs. This system was also fitted to the Lotus Esprit Turbo carburettors, which can hold up to 30-PSI boost pressure. eurocarb ltd stock every single part for DHLA, DRLA & DHLB carburettors, as well as complete new and some reconditioned units."

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you wamt a no hassle carb that you just bolt on: go w/the Edelbrock(Carter). Around $250 at Summit.....Don

·
Registered
746 Posts
The Demon suffers the same problems as the holleys. You might get a good one but just as likely get a problem. Since I know holleys I expect problems and know how to correct them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts