Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well have 85 vette headers,hyperchip 3.54 gears,puting in comp cam xe268 /114. 1.6 roller aluminum rockers. having heads reworkd with cam install, what do you guys think. will this be ok.

·
Registered
230 Posts
do you think your trans can be upgraded? to match the new power

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think your trans can be upgraded? to match the new power
i,ve already did the trans 7month ago compleate rebuild i think i got screwed paid 2600 dollors torq converter not sure but the mech told me he put a better than stock want to say 2200 does that sound right also has trans go shift street strip so should be ok

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hope the xe268 is the better choice was goeing to get the xe262 but comp said i could use the 268 the only thing worried about is the intake still stock was thinking of replacing the plenum and runners with edelbrock but then maybe just get a bigger throtle body ?????? don't know i just worry about f#!#! something up ..

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
The intake is the most critical part of making a TPI motor run. I'd suggest you start there, as getting it to breath beyond 4,700 RPM is needed to make more performance.

There are tons of choices out there to consider.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
like the edelbrock runners,plentum.

Yes, but your mods need to START
at the intake and a larger throttle body - then build to match.

It you run a Edelbrock, TPiS miniram, Super Ram, or others - do your research on the RPM range they like to breath to make sure that cam, comression, and head combo is all in sync. It will make all the difference between a scorching monster, and something that just rumbles and runs a bit better than stock.

·
Banned
2,365 Posts
i,ve already did the trans 7month ago compleate rebuild i think i got screwed paid 2600 dollors torq converter not sure but the mech told me he put a better than stock want to say 2200 does that sound right also has trans go shift street strip so should be ok
I'd pay more attention to what torque converter is in it, but I don't think the price is all that bad.

Who did the work and what do they say it's capable of handeling (HP/TQ)?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
amco sorry guys went to the closest to my house like to say 4-500 hp it drives very well with trans go set up shift hard when i get on it also put a megashifter last week what a differance that made ........ anyway like i said the cam, lifters, and the roller rockers comp said would work good with headers,chip, injectors , thats why i said id put new runners and plenum. do you think 1.6 rockers are a bit much should of i stayed with 1.5

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
It depends.

What is your goal?

The 85 Computer is a bit tricky and doesn't respond well to certain mods. Most guys will upgrade to the next gen computer to overcome some processing speed challenges once you get the cam and lift up there much more than stock.

You are going to get a bit of a choppy idle with some potential to stall once in a while or surge. Been there....done that with my old 85 Vette.

A custom burned chip matched to your combo will do better than a over the counter hyperchip.

The mods you are selecting here migh make for an Honest 275-290 hp at the flywheel. Weigh your options, goals, and budget to see what is going to work the best.

An 85 can be made to run as strong as any, but you have some challenges with the fact it is a non-roller block (did'nt become standard until 1988), the heads (even re-worked) are not true high performance pieces, and the computer will kick your butt if you don't work within its capabilities.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
You know what would be a killer - lower budget combo that would make 400 plus hp and run smooth?

If you could get your hands on some regular truck Vortec 350 heads (look for a 98 or so set of heads).

Go with the new TPIS miniram III that will bolt right to them.

TPiS has some nice cams to select from.

Even if you kept your stock throttle body, this package would give you all the breathing you would want to make that engine come to life.

Late vortec heads are not hard to find, and the biggest investment would be the intake.

http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module=catalog_page&catalogPageNumber=17&catalogSubCategory=MiniRam+Manifold

http://www.tpis.com/index.php?module=catalog_page&catalogPageNumber=146&catalogCategory=%28L98%2FLT1%29+Camshaft%2FValvetrain

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
these custom chips burned how much does it run, see this is what really sucks the car runs great now i've learned a long time ago if it runs good don't mess with it, but on the forums everyone that owns vettes mod there rides some with problems most with none. maybe i should just save the parts and build a new engine, buy here and there and at the end of the summer build it. I would hate to be with out my ride this summer and specialy if it cost me more to tear down the motor again after the cam goes in. this has turned in to a go for it and see what happens to get smart.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[another thing i forgot about was the springs comp cam kit has. springs lifters what not ,but since i'm puting 1.6 rollor rocker with the xe 268 is this going to be a problem with lift. dont know if it will be over 500 .springs are good to 500 but think with the cam 268/with 477 to 480 somewhere this may go over 500 with the 1.6 rockers is this correct . and will this be a problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts