Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110210...jb3JkaW9uX3Vfc19uZXdzBHNsawNub2NoYXJnZXNpbmQ-

ST. LOUIS – Anheuser-Busch heir August Busch IV will not face criminal charges in the overdose death of his girlfriend, a Missouri prosecutor said Thursday.

St. Louis County prosecutor Bob McCulloch made his announcement a day after the county's medical examiner said an autopsy showed Adrienne Martin, 27, died of an accidental overdose of the prescription painkiller oxycodone. McCulloch left open the possibility of reopening the case if more information became available.

Martin died Dec. 19 after spending the night at Busch's estate.

McCulloch said Thursday that Martin's system contained cocaine as well as oxycodone.

"It was clearly an accidental overdose," McCulloch said. "There's no evidence to support any kind of finding that she may have been forced to do anything other than taking the drugs voluntarily."

McCulloch said Busch was largely uncooperative in the investigation, talking to police only the day that Martin died.

"The investigation as to where the drugs came from is a dead end," he said.

But Busch's attorney, Art Margulis, said he told the brewery heir not to speak to prosecutors.

"In a large sense, he (Busch) was singled out because he was high-profile," Margulis said.

Busch woke up at 12:45 p.m. Dec. 19 and tried to wake Martin 15 minutes later, the prosecutor said. She didn't respond. An aide in Busch's home also tried to wake her, then the two called police, who arrived at 1:12 p.m. Paramedics got there soon after. Martin was pronounced dead at 1:26 p.m.

McCulloch said that despite previous reports that Busch was slow to call for help, "there is no time gap."

Neither Martin nor Busch had a prescription for oxycodone, and there was no evidence of how she got the oxycodone or the cocaine, McCulloch said.

What was clear was that Martin had taken a lot of both, he said, adding that the report indicated she had ingested cocaine an hour or so before her death and oxycodone five to six hours before her death.

"The levels on each were significant enough that either one could have caused her death alone," McCulloch said.

Martin's ex-husband, Dr. Kevin Martin, had said that she suffered from a rare heart condition known as Long QT syndrome. McCulloch said the autopsy did not show evidence of a heart condition, though further testing would be needed to confirm that. But he said more tests weren't done because it was clear from that the oxycodone caused her death.

Friends had said Martin was strongly opposed to illegal drugs, but Busch had speculated medication Martin was taking could have caused her death. He said she was taking Trazodone, a prescription medication to treat depression but also sometimes used to treat insomnia, according to the National Institutes of Health.

McCulloch said there were no traces of Trazodone in her system.

Oxycodone is used to relieve moderate to severe pain, according to the National Institutes of Health. It is in a class of medications called opiate (narcotic) analgesics and works by changing the way the brain and nervous system respond to pain. It is commonly known by its brand name, OxyContin.

The Drug Enforcement Administration says abuse of oxycodone has increased markedly in recent years.

Busch, 46, was the last in a long line of family members to head the iconic brewery, which makes Budweiser, Bud Light, Michelob, Busch and other beers. Despite Busch's efforts to ward off a takeover, Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. was sold to Belgian brewer InBev in 2008, two years after Busch was named chief executive officer upon his father's retirement.

Busch is no longer involved in day-to-day operations at Anheuser-Busch but does sit on the InBev board of directors. He had largely disappeared from the public spotlight since the merger.

Martin's is the second high-profile death that has prompted scrutiny of Busch. When he was attending the University of Arizona in 1983, he left a bar near Tucson, Ariz., with a 22-year-old woman. His black Corvette crashed, and the woman died. Busch was found hours later at his home. He had suffered a fractured skull and claimed he had amnesia. After a seven-month investigation, authorities declined to press charges, citing a lack of evidence.

Two years later, Busch was acquitted by a jury in St. Louis on assault charges resulting from a police chase that ended with an officer shooting out a tire on his Mercedes-Benz.

Martin had one child with her ex-husband. The boy, 8, is now living with his father in Cape Girardeau, Mo.

Busch's 2006 marriage to Kathryn Thatcher lasted less than three years. They had no children.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
What's the crock? If I come to your house, take Oxycodone and cocaine and die, should you go to prison? Unless they can prove he provided the drugs, there is no case here. Maybe he did or maybe she already had them. We just don't know.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I guess she should have stayed away from drugs. :huh:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
What's the crock? If I come to your house, take Oxycodone and cocaine and die, should you go to prison? Unless they can prove he provided the drugs, there is no case here. Maybe he did or maybe she already had them. We just don't know.
C'mon, Tex -

You KNOW that there has to be something. There's a rich guy involved, and to Dune, RICH = CORRUPT.

No need to let logic and reason get in the way when you can simply rely on class stereotypes and the lowest common denominator values!

Steven

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well If he supplied the drugs,

And I bet he did:thumbsup:

Then Homicide needs to take another look at this,

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
C'mon, Tex -

You KNOW that there has to be something. There's a rich guy involved, and to Dune, RICH = CORRUPT.

No need to let logic and reason get in the way when you can simply rely on class stereotypes and the lowest common denominator values!

Steven
"Friends had said Martin was strongly opposed to illegal drugs, but Busch had speculated medication Martin was taking could have caused her death. He said she was taking Trazodone, a prescription medication to treat depression but also sometimes used to treat insomnia, according to the National Institutes of Health.

McCulloch said there were no traces of Trazodone in her system."

:rolleyes:

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
C'mon, Tex -

Steven

·
Banned
14,241 Posts

Simple:
Test her hair to see if she was a habitual user. That would determine if she was more or less likely to have used before arriving or not. Test his hair as well. If she was not habitual and he was...

Next:
Drug dogs search the house. If there are drugs, prescription or otherwise, that match what is in her system... Check her house as well. See if she has such drugs there. If not...

Check the beverage glasses for all drug traces. See if hers was spiked.

Etc. Etc. They may have done this. He may be that slick. He may be completely innocent and not just 'not guilty.' She might be a closet druggie.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Well If he supplied the drugs,

And I bet he did:thumbsup:

Then Homicide needs to take another look at this,
BonneRisque as Prosecuting Attorney ...

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, I don't KNOW that Mr. Busch gave the deceased any drugs. I don't have a single thread of evidence to demonstrate this assertion. But, by golly, I BET he did! I ask you, therefore, to convict this rich man, because I, too, believe all the same stereotypes that Chief of Police Duneripper does, and HE thinks something bad was going on simply because the defendant is rich."

:rolling:

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys are sooo quick to bear false witness upon edwards, ploanski, OJ,... and all the other cases....

and here we have a death of a young single mom, with no history of drug use, and you are all,

"blah, blah, blah.....he's one of us good ol entrapenuer boyz with values, getting singled out because he got coin"

sad.

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Stand on your morals, bro... drink Coors instead ! We are all so very sorry to not have the same interest in your tabloid mentality... requiring no more depth in thought then,
"nice shoes!" In other words... who cares ? Really... who cares, dude ?

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
Bear false witness? :rolling::rolling:

I cried a little when I read that impassioned statement.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
You guys are sooo quick to bear false witness upon edwards, ploanski, OJ,... and all the other cases....

and here we have a death of a young single mom, with no history of drug use, and you are all,

"blah, blah, blah.....he's one of us good ol entrapenuer boyz with values, getting singled out because he got coin"

sad.
Hey cry baby! A person need not have a history of using drugs to overdose. ;) That's the fun in it! :partyon: If there where no risk, everybody'd be doing it!

Besides, by your own admission, she's a "young single mom" (as if that makes a difference?)-looks like she's already made some mistakes in her life. :laughing:

Who cares about this? If he where some ghetto trash and she a crack addict, you'd not care either. You're just pissed because he's an evil white rich guy. :crazy:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
Bear false witness? :rolling::rolling:

I cried a little when I read that impassioned statement.
Sounded like a Sam Kinison skit. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts