Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I will possibly need to fit wheel adaptors on the front. 1"-1 1/4" I've never had any previous experience using them, and I would like to hear your views on them. Good or bad! DC has always come up trumps in the past, and I would be grateful if any of you could jump in with advice.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I have 2 1/2" front 2" rear C5 rims front ant back...

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Hi everyone, I will possibly need to fit wheel adaptors on the front. 1"-1 1/4" I've never had any previous experience using them, and I would like to hear your views on them. Good or bad! DC has always come up trumps in the past, and I would be grateful if any of you could jump in with advice.
I answered your post in the other thread, but let's see if we can get your fitment correct here in your own thread! :thumbsup:

What wheels/tires are you going to run?
Same all around or big and littles?

I just installed adapters, so have no input on long term issues, but there are many here and on other sites that have been running them for decades with no isses. I opted to have custom adapters made that are both hub and wheel centric to both the car and the new wheels. Some of the less expensive adapters do not have this option.

:cheers:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two things to be aware of. Since the spacer moves the leverage point further out, it stands to reason that it puts more force on the hub studs and on the wheel bearings. Don't know how detrimental that might be long term.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I don't know the math involved, but I think it would be no different than changing the rim back space.

Maybe one of the engineer types on the forum can give us some insight as to the forces involved???

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've just replied to your thread blckslvr79. shall we just keep on this one. lol. I only want to run the minimum width adaptors I can get away with. So hopefully any extra stress on wheel bearings etc, shouldn't be too bad! As the adaptor bolts up to the original studs. Do they have to be big enough to be able to bolt them up. without the studs protruding. Or can you cut the studs down. Allowing to use a narrower spacer if need be. These might sound like stupid questions to you all, but I've never had any dealings with this things before. Let alone seen any fitted, and I'm trying to get my head round it. Its quite mad really, because I've built most of the car myself, but this subject has caught me out!

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I've just replied to your thread blckslvr79. shall we just keep on this one. lol. I only want to run the minimum width adaptors I can get away with. So hopefully any extra stress on wheel bearings etc, shouldn't be too bad! As the adaptor bolts up to the original studs. Do they have to be big enough to be able to bolt them up. without the studs protruding. Or can you cut the studs down. Allowing to use a narrower spacer if need be. These might sound like stupid questions to you all, but I've never had any dealings with this things before. Let alone seen any fitted, and I'm trying to get my head round it. Its quite mad really, because I've built most of the car myself, but this subject has caught me out!
Not stupid questions at all. I went through the same thoughts a few months back. There are not a lot of threads or websites with info on this.

I would not try to cut the original studs. With wheel studs, longer is generally better. Your original studs are probably 1.25" - 1.5" long. So plan on running at least this thick of an adapter. :thumbsup:
As long as the adapter is thicker than your stud length-all is good. IMO-a little thicker adapter also gives you more strength as a unit as the outer studs are pressed into the adapter, I would want a nice solid adapter to press the studs in to. Nothing thin.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I don't know the math involved, but I think it would be no different than changing the rim back space.

Maybe one of the engineer types on the forum can give us some insight as to the forces involved???
To an extent, I agree. :thumbsup:

Putting in an inch or two spacer is not increasing the side load on the hub enough to cause issue, especially the amount of miles the average C3 owner puts on.

Any increased load or torque on the hub is minimal. The other complaint I see all the time, from those with no experience using adapters, is that you're adding an additional 20 lug nuts to the scenario that could come loose. :crazy: Not if they are torqued correctly. I've never had a lug nut come loose on any of my cars in the past 23 years of owning cars. So the odds are in my favor as I see it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for taking the time to answer all this. It really is appreciated. I haven't found much at all, on websites over here. Mainly VW and late jap stuff. I must admit! The ones I've seen advertised on U.S. websites looked very impressive. Its a pity the ones I've seen don't send international. But maybe someone reading this, might know a company that will. By the way. I am going to fit 18x9's on the rear. Backspacing ok with those!

·
Registered
22 Posts

Basically moving an existing wheel out w/ a spacer or changing to a wheel w/ more negative offset does the same thing. The only reason I brought it up was just the mention of spacers on some other forums brings a lot of derision.

A friend w/ a GTO (60s style, not the Aussie version) kept going thru rear wheel bearings after he changed to some wheels that had more negative offset than the OEMs did. After replacing several times under warranty, the dealer said no mas if he kept those wheels. Anecdotal but that's all I've got.

Sounds like others here have had good experiences w/ spacers, YMMV. ;)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to answer all this. It really is appreciated. I haven't found much at all, on websites over here. Mainly VW and late jap stuff. I must admit! The ones I've seen advertised on U.S. websites looked very impressive. Its a pity the ones I've seen don't send international. But maybe someone reading this, might know a company that will. By the way. I am going to fit 18x9's on the rear. Backspacing ok with those!
http://www.motorsport-tech.com/

This is where I had mine made. :cheers:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If we ever meet up! I will definately buy you a beer! just sent e-mail. fingers crossed. Hopefully they can help. Will keep you posted. (stick up a few photos as well)

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
If we ever meet up! I will definately buy you a beer! just sent e-mail. fingers crossed. Hopefully they can help. Will keep you posted. (stick up a few photos as well)
Cold Beer? Or that warm piss you guys drink across the pond?

:laughing:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They just sent an e-mail straight back, saying no problem. He ships over here every week. Result! As for the beer! SOME of it might taste like piss, but as for the warm, I'll have you know. We have fridges over here now! lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Two things to be aware of. Since the spacer moves the leverage point further out, it stands to reason that it puts more force on the hub studs and on the wheel bearings. Don't know how detrimental that might be long term.
:agree:
I don't like them, I don't use them. I've seen too many fail over the years.
I know many people who run them w/o prob's. I even come across them on the vehicles I work on. I share my experience with the owners to be fair.
Many continue with mega miles on them, but I just won't run 'em.
My .02 :cheers:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts