Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me that there is quite a bit of weight to be saved in the wheel and tire department.

Does anyone know what the stock wheels weigh?
Z06 wheels stock sizes (18 x 9.5 and 19 x 12)

I was also looking at the CCW wheels
CCW Skelatal mod forged 18 x 10 @ 19.8#

I couldn't find the weight of the 18 x 13 CCW wheel.

Tires (Information from the TireRack)
275/35 ZR18 (87Y) LL RunFlat @ 29 lbs. VS Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 295/30ZR18 (94Y) SL @ 25 lbs.

325/30 ZR19 (94Y) LL RunFlat @ 36# VS Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 345/30 ZR18 (104Y) SL @ 29 lbs.

Any relevant information would be helpful

thx

LWM

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you are so advanced and fast that the difference in wheel and tire weight would be a factor, then you have a lot of other things you'd better do to the car to stay safe. Personally, I tootle around the track using 18" wheels that weight at least as much as the stock wheels, and never felt that I lacked power. Put your money into useful things - brakes, coilovers, etc. :partyon:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Stock Z06 wheels weight

OEM Z06 rims: 22 lbs front and 24.5 lbs rear (very good for their size and strength IMHO)

Yes, there is some weight savings on the table. As this is unsprung weight it is more valuable than sprung weight savings.

I won't go in this direction because it does not make sense to me. For the street the stock is more than enough. Also it is unlikely that one can use the MPSC tires on the street at their true value because it is difficult to heat them up.

For the track I would go for a set of stock size wheels with Hoosier R6.
But they require brakes upgrade first :spanked:
:cheers:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the weights Biturbo.:cheers:

OEM Z06 rims: 22 lbs front and 24.5 lbs rear (very good for their size and strength IMHO)

Yes, there is some weight savings on the table. As this is unsprung weight it is more valuable than sprung weight savings.

I won't go in this direction because it does not make sense to me. For the street the stock is more than enough. Also it is unlikely that one can use the MPSC tires on the street at their true value because it is difficult to heat them up.

For the track I would go for a set of stock size wheels with Hoosier R6.
But they require brakes upgrade first :spanked:
:cheers:
I like your comment about the R6 tires, a buddy of mine drives an 07 Viper, and with the R-6 compound tires on his Viper he can keep up to me ... sigh ... where as before, on his stock VS stock compound tires I was able to pull away ... means there is something left on the tire side of the table.

And what tires I'm refering to are larger than stock and lighter than stock ... so, on a track day ... one would expect some sort of advantage ... race day over, switch back to the stock wheels and tires.

R6 Compound tires don't last very long ...

Glad you replied ... others ... keep the lines up ...

LWM

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Seems to me that there is quite a bit of weight to be saved in the wheel and tire department.

Does anyone know what the stock wheels weigh?
Z06 wheels stock sizes (18 x 9.5 and 19 x 12)

I was also looking at the CCW wheels
CCW Skelatal mod forged 18 x 10 @ 19.8#

I couldn't find the weight of the 18 x 13 CCW wheel.

Tires (Information from the TireRack)
275/35 ZR18 (87Y) LL RunFlat @ 29 lbs. VS Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 295/30ZR18 (94Y) SL @ 25 lbs.

325/30 ZR19 (94Y) LL RunFlat @ 36# VS Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 345/30 ZR18 (104Y) SL @ 29 lbs.

Any relevant information would be helpful

thx

LWM
CCW is a very light wheel for the price. HRE makes a lighter dry weather wheel for twice the price. For a lighter longer lasting and stickier tire, check out the Toyo RA1s. Keep in mind comparing weights of run-flats to normal tires is not valid. It you have made the decision to scrap the run flats, check around:thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts