Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 c5 and I hear a roar in the rr of the car. When driving since I bought the car this summer I have heard tire sounds humming at hwy speeds. I just thought it was the pilot sport run flats. As time has gone by the sound seems to be getting louder each month. The car has 115,000 miles on it and I think it might be bearings now. How often do bearings need to be replaced and should I do both sides at ounce?

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
You are very likely at the end of your bearing life, but get it up in the air and see if there is any play in the wheel to be sure. Go ahead and do both sides. I know they aren't cheap, but at least it is a reasonably easy job to do.

P.S. Track guys replace them annually, if not more often. 100k out of a set is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have felt for play in wheel side to side and top to bottom, but no play in both sides. Can the bearings still be bad.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
It's possible that they are still bad, but I would look at other things first. What condition are those runflats in now? Are they wearing evenly? You could also have an issue with a halfshaft - take a look at the boots.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the tires and it had blisters/bubbles on the inside of the tire on the side that was making the noise. I guess this could be the problem, but when I turn left and right when driving the sound would go away when turning right like a bearing. I guess tires first and see if problem is fixed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts