Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling to decide on a wheel diameter to tuck under the 2" flares. I think 17's look really good on these cars and 18's might look just a touch too big. However, it seems that there's a wider selection of tires for the 18's than the 17's around the 275 width.

Browsing tirerack I only find a couple options for 275/40R17 but there are several more options at 275/35R18. For you guys running 17" wheels around 10" wide, what tires are you running?

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I have 17x9 wheels- 295/40's on the rear and 275's on the front. Need more on the rear but not enough wheel width.
Looking back, I maybe should have gone to 18" wheels, but at the time I had no clue what would fit and even asking questions on every forum I could find, no body else had answers either.

·
You've been pimped!!
15,297 Posts
On the '85 I have 17inch rims...9.5 wide in the front and 11 in the rear. You are right that it is hard to find tires in the 17inch size...and even harder to find matching ones for 2 different widths.

I have been pretty happy with the Sumitomo HTRZ tires. They are pretty inexpensive, and even if they wear faster, I can get 2 sets for less than the price of ones set of much more expensive Michelins or Goodyears, etc. I also get the Sumitomos at Tirerack.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
from a looks standpoint or tire selection standpoint?
BOTH!

I've totally ruled out 17" altogether, from a looks standpoint, AND from Tire size availability.

Lots of 18 " rubber around.

17" & 19" not so much, (with the caveat that the 19" stuff also gets really expensive:surprised).

Plus, you don't need offset trailing arms to do wider with 18's. Required for 17".

No Brainer.

:agree:18" all the way.

(18" & 19" staggered, if you're loaded $:devil:)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm struggling to decide on a wheel diameter to tuck under the 2" flares. I think 17's look really good on these cars and 18's might look just a touch too big. However, it seems that there's a wider selection of tires for the 18's than the 17's around the 275 width.

Browsing tirerack I only find a couple options for 275/40R17 but there are several more options at 275/35R18. For you guys running 17" wheels around 10" wide, what tires are you running?

I'm using 17's on the front and 18's on the rear. In the picture it's a 275/40r18 tire on a 9.5" rim with a 5.25" backspace. This all fits within the factory fenders without rubbing.
I'm currently fitting 2" flares and using a 18x11" rim again with a 5.25" backspace. I'm hoping to fit 315/35r18 tires. It's going to be tight but I think they should fit!!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Wabco, what brand and model tire did you order?

:cheers:
Mark

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wabco, what brand and model tire did you order?

:cheers:
Mark
Hi Mark,
There Toyo Proxes TQ's. There is very limited choice when using a 35 series tire. A lot more available with a 30 series profile, however I wanted a tire with a bit of sidewall (to match the front tires) and a diameter of about 26.5" to match the fender opening.
Brad

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Running 18x9 in front and 18x10 in back. BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 255 x 18 in front and 295 x 18 rear.

With the 2" flairs, street shop frame and C4 suspension there was room to go with 11" rims and a 305-315 tire in the rear. But ran into the same issue you are discovering. If you find the exact rims, tires are a problem. If you find the exact tires, rims are a problem.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok EASYGEAR.

18x9.5 on the rear, 17x8 on the front.

I'm still waiting for the 315/35r18 tires to come in. When they arrive I will post an updated picture with the 2" flares fitted.

that's a damn fine looking car :thumbsup:

I think the amount of sidewall is key to making the 18's look right. With the 275/40R18's (26.7" diameter) it looks good. If anyone has a side shot of their car with 275/35R18's (25.6" diameter) I'd be interested to compare the two!

17's and 18's. Had to relocate e brake bracket but the TA's are stock.

Body back by mckees420, on Flickr
What size tires are you running?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I'm using 17's on the front and 18's on the rear. In the picture it's a 275/40r18 tire on a 9.5" rim with a 5.25" backspace. This all fits within the factory fenders without rubbing.
I'm currently fitting 2" flares and using a 18x11" rim again with a 5.25" backspace. I'm hoping to fit 315/35r18 tires. It's going to be tight but I think they should fit!!!

Looks great! Is that with offset TAs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks great! Is that with offset TAs?
Thanks, yes I'm using double offset TA's as I have a 2'' (1" per side) shortened spring and using 10" C4 bolts to get the ride height I wanted.
Offset TA's are not required with 18" rims, just needs the e brake bracket relocated.
Depending on the wheel backspace will determine if you need a shortened spring. I previously had a 0.5" shortened per side spring with standard TA's but this only gave me about 0.25" spring to tire clearance. With my current set up I have 0.75" clearance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok, this is what 315/35r18 tyres on 5.25" backspace rims and 2" flares look like.
Looks ok when car is at lowered ride height, however next to no clearance on the outside fender lip when the suspension is sitting on the bump stops. Not sure how often the suspension gets close to hitting the bump stops!!! Have also trimmed about 1/8" off the lip.
May have to look at going back to 305 tyres. 5mm less on the outside of the tyre should give clearance throughout the travel.

·
DC Pit Crew
10,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok, this is what 315/35r18 tyres on 5.25" backspace rims and 2" flares look like.
Looks ok when car is at lowered ride height, however next to no clearance on the outside fender lip when the suspension is sitting on the bump stops. Not sure how often the suspension gets close to hitting the bump stops!!! Have also trimmed about 1/8" off the lip.
May have to look at going back to 305 tyres. 5mm less on the outside of the tyre should give clearance throughout the travel.
nice work! Those pictures are exceptionally helpful, so thank you for posting!

Are the flares from Custom Image or otherwise? Interesting that you only added 1.5" of wheel width (went from 9.5" to 11" with same backspacing) and really filled out the 2" flare.

What tires are those?

·
Registered
37 Posts
nice work! Those pictures are exceptionally helpful, so thank you for posting!

Are the flares from Custom Image or otherwise? Interesting that you only added 1.5" of wheel width (went from 9.5" to 11" with same backspacing) and really filled out the 2" flare.

What tires are those?
No problems :thumbsup:

Yes, there Custom Image 2" flares. I made the expensive mistake of ordering 18 x 11 rims with a 4.75" backspace before fitting the flares. I figured going from a 9.5" rim to a 11" with 0.5" less backspace would fit within the 2" flares. Big mistake:(
Even with the 5.25" backspace its a very tight fit. Ideally a 5.5" backspace would be better but I would have issues with the tire rubbing on the frame kick up on my car. I believe 5.5" BS works on some cars.
I have trimmed the inner fender lip to gain a bit more clearance but I will still have rubbing if the suspension get close to hitting the bump stops. Next is to try a 305/35 tire, this will give 5mm more clearance from the fender lip which should be ok.

The tires are Toyo Proxes TQ's

Brad

1 - 20 of 31 Posts