Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I Finally took my 2002 ZO6 to the local drag strip here in orlando to see what she could run in the 1/4. With a cold air intake and a Borla exhst it ran a 12.722 at 115 mph. I think she could of run alot better time but leaving the line I was getting alot of wheel hop. And Im not sure what causes this. I ran 5 passes and the only time I didnt have the wheel hop is when I left the line like I was leaving a traffic light on a sunday morning with no place to go. Does anyone have any suggestions? It also felt a little floaty at high speed?:WTF

Attachments

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'm not a stick racer, but I'll pass alone what I've read/learned.

It starts with dumping the clutch (not slipping it) on tires that have little forgiving side walls (low stiff profile) that combo will shake your rear driveline and if your lucky you will only break your out put shafts in your rear.

First you need to learn slipping the clutch. if you wheel hop stop right away. A more forgiving drag tire with a bigger sidewall helps alot, a 16" rim is most popular.

If you're going to race alot you should get harden out put shafts & a trans brace that keeps the rear & trans from twisting and breaking the cases. ECS can hook you up with everything you need if interested.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try slipping the clutch also and as soon as the tires would start to break loose the tire hop would start. It even happened in second gear.

·
Registered
Black 08, A&A TI supercharger. Kooks headers. CCW wheels. Much more
12,668 Posts
You could try dropping your tire pressure down to maybe 28psi, any lower than that, you'll "cup" the tires. I never had much wheel hop issues, just lack of traction issues, our track was really slick, plus i lowered my car 3 inches. Best times for me, was coming off the line at idle, easing into and thru first, full throttle after 2nd grabs. Otherwise, you will need drag radials to really get good launches.
If you have a sticky track, and perfect your launch,you should be able to run some 12.3 to 12.5 ets on stock tires.
If you plan to drag every weekend, like said above, hardened shafts and a brace would be a good thing to do. I know many people who drag race alot, and have had no issues, i know some that broke shafts too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot for the feed back. I dont plan on taking it to the track very often. But the next time I take it out there I will try lowering my air pressure and less RPM out the hole. With that said I was only at 2000/2300 rpm on my lauch. Great advice. Thanks:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
DTE Trans brace

Too bad they don't make one out of Aluminum

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
  1. Slip the clutch
  2. Adjust air pressure
  3. Practice
  4. Pfadt Diff Brace
  5. Pfadt Motor Mounts

With enough practice you can get that car into 11's. When I had the stock clutch I would launch at 3000-3500 rpms and slip the clutch. Now this is where the practice comes into play. You can slip the clutch fast enough to get the launch perfect, or slow enough to begin to ruin your clutch.

What type of drag radials do you have? What PSI ? Good burnout?

Also what condition are your shocks in? They could cause issues if bad...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts