Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I deceided to strip the clear coat off my saw blades (the clear coat was turning yellow and peeling). After removing all the clear coat I sanded and polished the wheels and they looked great. Maintenance on the wheels without the coating is to time consuming and now I am planing on putting a clear coat back on.
Has anyone ever refinished their wheels and re-applied the clear coat using something other than the GM clear coat? I don't think the GM product is that great and seems to break down (turn yellow) after a couple of years.:huh:

·
DC Crew
53,220 Posts
We've had several folks talk about refinishing their sawblades. Re-applying the clear coat would be good info to know. I look forward to the responses... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have refinished the aluminum wheels on my Lightning pick up truck. They were painted metalic silver then clear coated from the factory. I stripped them with chemicals then a whire wheel. They were not highly polished so this proceedure was acceptable. Then I treated them with clear alodine aluminum passivator, primed, painted, then clear coated. I got the metalic silver paint and clear coat from Autozone. The paint was specifically called wheel paint. Claims to be tougher than "normal" paint to withstand brake dust. Looks as good as the factory finish. Has held up well so far ( 6 months). I see Eastwood also sells wheel paint mail order.

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
Magic Man said:
A while back I deceided to strip the clear coat off my saw blades (the clear coat was turning yellow and peeling). After removing all the clear coat I sanded and polished the wheels and they looked great. Maintenance on the wheels without the coating is to time consuming and now I am planing on putting a clear coat back on.
Has anyone ever refinished their wheels and re-applied the clear coat using something other than the GM clear coat? I don't think the GM product is that great and seems to break down (turn yellow) after a couple of years.:huh:

I refinished the stock wheels on my 88 a couple years ago. I applied the clear coat, but it dulled the wheels so much I stripped it back off and repolished the wheel again. The clear coat was from Ecklers. :)

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
MMy dad got his wheels polished and they look great. I dont know if he go the clearput back on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Jlreyna said:
Ever think about powdercoating or maybe anodizing?
this would be the way to go. If you dont mind having all the wheels off and dismounting the tires for a few days this would give the best look and all you would have to do is rinse them and give them a quick wipe down when you wash the car. I think that anodizing would give a cleaner look and would stand up to rocks or anything that could fly at your wheels better than the powder coat, but either one would look good and they can both be done in colors or in clear....OR you could get them chromed.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any info on where I could get anodizing done? I'm in the South Jersey area right now but plan to be in South Florida soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would think a long time about anodizing. I think powder coating is much tougher and more durable. Maybe if you clear coat over anodize you would be OK. Must be someone out there that knows more about anodizing. If it was a good idea then I would expect to see it on new wheels. Has anyone seen it on new wheels?

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had a problem with clearcoating aluminum a few years ago.

I polished an aluminum motorcycle frame to a mirror finish. Put on some acrylic clearcoat. A few weeks later I saw little stars appearing under the clearcoat. We (possibly incorrectly) concluded it was aluminum oxidation. So I stripped the clearcoat, repolished, and clearcoated with a lacquer. Same thing happened.

I ended up stripping that too, and just kep the naked aluminum polished. I too would like to know the secret of how to clearcoat aluminum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts