Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm replacing my 7/16 studs with 1/2in studs, what studs do I get? I looked in the Summit catalogue, there are many different types of 1/2in studs.... eg

1/2"-20 x3", .590" knurl

1/2in is the diameter obviously, 3" is the length but what is the 20 (thread count?) and what is the KNURL for a 69

I dont want to buy the wrong ones?
Thanx

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hi guys, I'm replacing my 7/16 studs with 1/2in studs, what studs do I get? I looked in the Summit catalogue, there are many different types of 1/2in studs.... eg

1/2"-20 x3", .590" knurl

1/2in is the diameter obviously, 3" is the length but what is the 20 (thread count?) and what is the KNURL for a 69

I dont want to buy the wrong ones?
Thanx
20 is the threads per inch
stock knurl is .47" x 1/8" long
I you're going for 1/2" studs you will have to drill the hats for the new knurl size.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I think I understand now, but I may have to call Tom's axles because I have a heavy duty K.A. axles and they may be different thickness to standard? Plus whilst Im at it I'll change the bearings, I can ask Tom's about the bearings...I have bigger ones on those axles.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
Use the ARP's that Tom sold you. They will fit his axles without drilling them. Many times I machine the studs down to stud size so guys can run the stock wheels. Watch for the kurl sticking out of the axle flange, I've had to address that in the past. The rotor has to sit flat on the flat so be sure to check this.
The bearings are the same cone inner/outer only the inner race is different. Again be sure they seat fully in the supports or you'll have fits. The stock setup tool won't work for setup you'll have to make one up. These are not slip fit bearings so you get one shot at it. Fit the spindle nuts before you assemble them or you'll also have a joyous time!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,785 Posts
You can find more info in the T/A thread in the tech page link.
Here are the ARP's I machined to stock length and a stock stud.
If you running the full 3" stud be sure to get them perpendicular or they're not going to fit the rotor or wheel.

Here is a stock axle I fit them in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts