Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'M CONSIDERING NEW TIRES FOR MY 74, AND I'M FINDING LIMITED OPTIONS.

ANYONE HAVE A SUGGESTION FOR WHAT TIRE/WHEEL SIZES WILL FIT?

·
Registered
746 Posts
There are lots of options out there. The biggest decision is what size. 16,17 or 18. All are available just the tires affect the price not the rims. You are safe with 4 inch back spacing but some use 4.5 backspacing on the back.
You choose a size and style, check out the price of tires at the same time , That is the hardest part. There are dozens of suppliers out there if you do a search on the internet for wheels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
norvalwilhel said:
There are lots of options out there. The biggest decision is what size. 16,17 or 18. All are available just the tires affect the price not the rims. You are safe with 4 inch back spacing but some use 4.5 backspacing on the back.
You choose a size and style, check out the price of tires at the same time , That is the hardest part. There are dozens of suppliers out there if you do a search on the internet for wheels.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I'll look into it.

·
Registered
746 Posts
SLA do you have an idea as to what size tires you want to go with. 17 inch offer a good improvement in performance and the cost is not that bad per tire.
I personally want to go 18 inch on the back and 17 on the front but 18 inch tires are rediculous.
Nito has some very reasonably priced 18 inch tires for you guys in the states but the minute I try to cross the boarder they slap on a 30% duty plus 15% tax plus the roughly 25% money exchange. A $225 tire quicly become $500CDN.
I am running $85 305 BFG radials in 15 inch and I replace tires every 2 years so I am holding back on switching to 18 inch.
I don't like these rims either but I have had them forever, they are extremely light and spin true on a lathe. Hate the solid center.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the note. From your pic and explanation a question comes to mind... Your tires are P305, __, 15's? What is the middle number? And, did you do any suspension mods to accomodate the 305 width?

I'd like to keep the suspension stock. I've got good clearance due to new rear monospring and shocks, but think I'd like to keep the tires inside the fenders.

Not sure on the tire size.... I haven't looked into "back- spacing" issue you mentioned. Probably will though, I'd like to changing from the old "beauty rings" and steel wheels and go to an alloy.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dewcustom said:
Thanks for the post. Back to the drawing board with my tire guy..... I'd hoped to keep the OEM 15" wheels, but tire options options are severely limited if you're looking for V or higher speed rated tires.

Nice wheels, what brand?

Thanks again.

·
DC Crew
4,751 Posts
Go see my buddies at intro wheels.

www.intro.com

The fellow that will hook you up is Dave at

www.hvydeez.com

He knows his Vettes, and has great wheel packages. The intro wheels are a bit unique to the Vette world, so you can be pretty confident nobody else will come cruising up with your exact same wheel at the local car show. Can't say that for the gobs and gobs of torque thrust, etc. that are out there everywhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts