Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's obviously a ton of pics around of great C3's running some awesome wheel/tire combos, but I haven't found a source of pics AND specs.

So, unless I missed a thread somewhere, what about posting some pics of what you're running, but also posting whatever specs you can (wheel size, backspacing, width, tire size, and what you did to make them fit).

I think it'd be a great resource... :cheers:

·
Registered
62 Posts
On tires and wheels

I have not gotten my wheels and tires yet, I am still planning them out. What I think I am going to go with is, 285/40/17 on a 10" rim in the rear, and because I have the offset trailing arms, I think I can go with more backspace, so I am concidering 5" backspace in the rear. In the front I am thinking of going 245/45/17 on a 8" rim, and that will have a 4" backspace, to keep it close to original. The rear tire should be 25.8" and the front will be a 25.6" tall tire, and tread should be around a 11" rear, and 9.7" in front . I hope to get them by next year, but the wife says I have spent too much money on it for this year, so I am in the figuring out stage so I won't make any mistakes when I do buy them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not gotten my wheels and tires yet, I am still planning them out. What I think I am going to go with is, 285/40/17 on a 10" rim in the rear, and because I have the offset trailing arms, I think I can go with more backspace, so I am concidering 5" backspace in the rear. In the front I am thinking of going 245/45/17 on a 8" rim, and that will have a 4" backspace, to keep it close to original. The rear tire should be 25.8" and the front will be a 25.6" tall tire, and tread should be around a 11" rear, and 9.7" in front . I hope to get them by next year, but the wife says I have spent too much money on it for this year, so I am in the figuring out stage so I won't make any mistakes when I do buy them.
From what I've read, with the offset arms you should be able to go up to 5.5" backspacing out back if you wanted. Don't take my word for that, but I'm pretty sure.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tires and wheels

Yeah I might be able to go 5.5", but before I got the offset arms, the clip for the brake hose I believe, was rubbing my tire, so I will make sure it won't with a tire wheel sizing tool from summit. Bolt it on and take all the guess work out .

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
'69 - E-brake bracket relocated, Im not sure if it was necessary or not, but a good precaution.
Wheels are TT2's, 17X8 with 4" backspace
Tires are Nitto NT555
245/45/17 F
255/50/17 R

·
Registered
394 Posts

rims are 16 x 9.5, forget the tire sizes, hafta go look... but i know i fit way widder and taller in the back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm running PS Engineering 17 x 8" rims with 235/50/17 Michelin Pilot Sports (26.6" tall). The rims have 4" back spacing and fit without any modifications.

·
Registered
178 Posts
SLP Hyperblacks 17 x 8 4" backspacing
Direct bolt on, no changes required for fitting

Tires are Kuhmo 255/50-zr17 rear: 245/45-ZR 17 front
the 255/50 is almost exactly the same ht. as the factory tire requiring no change to speedo gear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
:WTF I'm game............. :D

72 Rebuilt stock suspension

TT-II's 17x8 4'' backspace
245 50 17 dunlop. I tried to fit 255 50 17 but they hit the very lower front lip on the front wheel opening. To bad :down: because the 255 profile tire really fit the wheel wells nicely and I did not want to stager the sizes.

Hammadown :nuts:

·
Registered
91 Posts
1980 with VB&P Street and Slalom suspension kit
No mods to the E-Brake cable
Stock trailing arms
SSBS Force 10 aluminum calipers and slotted rotors
Torq Thrust II 17"x8" with 4" backspacing
255/50-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE750 on all 4 corners

·
Registered
2 Posts
Keystone Klassic wheels for 65 Vette

I recently got a set of what I have always wanted- Keystone Klassic wheels. Summit Racing recommended and mounted 215/70/15 on the standard 7" rims. First problem is that the wheels themselves will not clear the disk brakes and seat on the hub. That was fixed by adding a Crager supplied 1/2" spacing disk between the hub and the wheel. Unfortunately, now the tires are too fat and rub the fenders. Has anybody tried this setup before and can offer me some advise as to what size tires I should use on the Keystone wheels? Everything else involved is stock.

Thanks,
Fred

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this seems to be an old thread but I have a question re backspacing.
I have 1972 Stingray with offset trailing arms,
I am running 15'' x 10''Appliance Strylers on the rears with 295 BF Goodrich TAs.
The tyres and Rims sit outside the guards - can anyone tell me
the correct backspace to bring the rims within the body and will
I need to use 275 tyres instead of 295s.

Cant seem to insert a jpg image - sorry

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wanted to do a low budget tire and wheel combo. I liked the Torque Thrust IIs but wanted the spokes black. So I found some on eBay that were called Riddlers. They are 18x8 with 4 1/2 inch backspacing for the fronts and 18x9.5 with a 5 1/2 inch backspacing for the rears. The backspacing was incorrect. So I added 1- 1/2 inch spacers front and rear so I could place the edge of the tires as far out to the lip as possible to achieve that muscular look with out needing flares. The tires that I used were a set of autocross tires that I had sitting around. They are Nitto 01 tires, 315/30ZR18 in the rear and 275/35ZR18 in the front. These tires stick like glue on most pavement surfaces. Tire pressure is 51 psi all around.
Here is a picture of them:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/MISS_KAYCEE12/IMG_2251 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I wanted to do a low budget tire and wheel combo. I liked the Torque Thrust IIs but wanted the spokes black. So I found some on eBay that were called Riddlers. They are 18x8 with 4 1/2 inch backspacing for the fronts and 18x9.5 with a 5 1/2 inch backspacing for the rears. The backspacing was incorrect. So I added 1- 1/2 inch spacers front and rear so I could place the edge of the tires as far out to the lip as possible to achieve that muscular look with out needing flares. The tires that I used were a set of autocross tires that I had sitting around. They are Nitto 01 tires, 315/30ZR18 in the rear and 275/35ZR18 in the front. These tires stick like glue on most pavement surfaces. Tire pressure is 51 psi all around.
Here is a picture of them:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/MISS_KAYCEE12/IMG_2251 2.jpg
Do you have any pics of the side of the car?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts