Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the wheels and rubber I will be putting on my C5 this coming July. 20/19's with 345's on the rear.

These pics shows this Z06 pretty dam low. I wouldn't think you would want to go any lower.
For you guys that are running your vettes this low, is the handling about the same, exactly the same, or Better than before?

I think this Z sits very nice, or is it to low? Let me know what ya think.

This Z06 has been lowered with at least how long of bolts?

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
you tub your rear end? Without a tub you'll NEVER get 345's under there.

My sits really low, and I've got those exact wheels, iForged aeros, 19x9.5 fr and 20x11 rr, and with 305's on the rear they just fit. I've seen a set of 20's out back with 325's but they stuck outside the fender wells... 345's, yikes.

·
Registered
754 Posts
think this Z sits very nice, or is it to low? Let me know what ya think.
Nice, as long as you avoid the beltway and I-10 during heavy rain...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you tub your rear end? Without a tub you'll NEVER get 345's under there.
Can you define what *Tubbing* a rear end exactly is? And what is done to do this?

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
Can you define what *Tubbing* a rear end exactly is? And what is done to do this?
It's extending the inner fender wells in towards the center of the car to allow wider tires to fit w/out sticking out.

·
Only green will do...
18,388 Posts
Its sits low but dam does it look nice i LIKEY ILIKEY A LOT

·
Registered
793 Posts
I found out this weekend that at high speeds with 19/20 and slammed all the way is NO GOOD. It didn't want to stick to the ground for anything and would slide all over. Then my brakes got too hot and felt like I warped a rotor. The brakes went back to normal after they had a chance to cool. I am definately not going to sell my old wheels, just incase I ever want to go fast again, because I will never try to make a speed spring with this setup.

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
I found out this weekend that at high speeds with 19/20 and slammed all the way is NO GOOD. It didn't want to stick to the ground for anything and would slide all over. Then my brakes got too hot and felt like I warped a rotor. The brakes went back to normal after they had a chance to cool. I am definately not going to sell my old wheels, just incase I ever want to go fast again, because I will never try to make a speed spring with this setup.

If you experienced that, then you've got more to look into than wheel sizes..

I've got 19/20 setup, slammed. Now, I've also got a complete Pfadt coil over setup as well as Pfadt swaybars. Brakes are 2pc baer eradispeeds with hawk pads. Wheels, tires and alignment are adjusted to perfection. And I'm telling you, my car solid is absolutely STUCK to the road, from 0 to 160 and beyond. Straight or curvy road, there is none of what you just described. If your car is getting loose at high speeds, I'd bet my bottom dollar that you're experiencing the ill effects of lowering that far on stock suspension. You've let all of the tension out of your leaf springs and your shocks are compressed far beyond the optimum performance.

·
Registered
948 Posts
This car is sick! I don't think there is a such thing as "too low" in terms of aerodynamics.....I mean you experience less drag and you have a lower center of gravity.

Check out the F1 cars, CART, even NASCAR...lower is better in terms of RACING. Now if you're lowered and are experiencing a bad ride I'd be willing to bet that you have not sprung for suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This car is sick! I don't think there is a such thing as "too low" in terms of aerodynamics.....I mean you experience less drag and you have a lower center of gravity.

Check out the F1 cars, CART, even NASCAR...lower is better in terms of RACING. Now if you're lowered and are experiencing a bad ride I'd be willing to bet that you have not sprung for suspension upgrades.
Educated me on the term *SICK*. As in beyond radical that you have no words to describe? In what I like is this look right here. The Corvette Z the way it looks slammed w/ wheels that look like steam rollers. The body shape and lines, even though it is an 04 it still competes with the looks of a C6 Z slammed. Fifth gen. z06 is a winner in my books.

Anyways, looks like to get it all right handling wise w/ wheels and tires I am looking at $10k just on those mods.

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts

I found that even with the under bumper wheels underneath mine that this is about the lowest you can go without scraping the crap out of the car on every driveway. I had a problem with mine that the traction control would come on about 130 mph and it would cause the car to actually slide, and then the stability control would come on. My dealer could not duplicate it so now I turn off the TC on high speed runs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Banned
622 Posts
If you experienced that, then you've got more to look into than wheel sizes..

I've got 19/20 setup, slammed. Now, I've also got a complete Pfadt coil over setup as well as Pfadt swaybars. Brakes are 2pc baer eradispeeds with hawk pads. Wheels, tires and alignment are adjusted to perfection. And I'm telling you, my car is absolutely STUCK to the road, from 0 to 160 and beyond. Straight or curvy road, there is none of what you just described. If your car is getting loose at high speeds, I'd bet my bottom dollar that you're experiencing the ill effects of lowering that far on stock suspension. You've let all of the tension out of your leaf springs and your shocks are compressed far beyond the optimum performance.
:agree:

·
Registered
618 Posts
IMO if the wheels/tires are positioned in the Center of the wheel well, it's cool. If you're wheels are riding halfway up inside the well, it looks well....un-good

·
Registered
687 Posts
That car sits perfect. You will have to get coilovers if you want to go that low and have the car handle correctly.

My car is slammed on Pfadt coilovers and I love it.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That car sits perfect. You will have to get coilovers if you want to go that low and have the car handle correctly.

My car is slammed on Pfadt coilovers and I love it.
I am fixing to buy a set of Pfadt coilovers this friday. In 3 or 4 weeks after that I will buy Pfadt adjustable sway bars. All I have heard about their coilovers is that they the best for the cause of handling *and* slamming. I will not get it down as low as that pic of the Z, but pretty close.

I run stock z06 wheels on all 4 corners. I do not think it will look as good with only 295/35/zr18 Michelins on the rear. I will invest in a set of I-Forged 20/19" rims.

Thanks for the reply.

Darrell-

1 - 20 of 24 Posts