Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 1999 C5 5.7 L, Automatic with 57,000 kilometers. When I make a slow R.H or L.H turn I hear a metal on metal scraping sound from the passenger side rear, We have check for exhaust rubbing, had the brake caliper and disc remove to see if dust shield was rubbing, but every thing looks OK. Also applied the brakes and parking brake during the turn but the noise still is there.
Any suggestions?
Regards
idf

·
Registered
16 Posts
not a mechanic, so don't take this advise :rolleyes: But I just ordered a new wheel hub assembly for my back right. It sounds like a flat tire #thud, thud thud, whomp whomp whompo" sound. When making a left turn, your right wheels are going faster than the left wheels. So if it the sound has something to do with the rotation of that tire, then you should be able to hear a worse noise on constant speed left turns, and less noise on constant rate right turns. I'm trying to do a video on my adventure, and I hope I can capture the sound from my crappy camera :/

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
You may be onto something Zwaldo. OP. have you checked the wheel hub assembly? Also, have you inspected the differential?

Zwaldo, I have a detailed write-up on how to get to that wheel hub assembly. It's under "parking brake exploration".

·
Registered
30 Posts
Friction modifier on your rear diff.

Did you recently serviced your rear diff ? If yes whoever did it did not put, or did not put enough friction modifier on it, and when you turn, it will make a metally/scratcy noise. Its a litlle botle that you have to add per X amount of oil, depends on the particular diff. Hope this will help.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The proper amount of fluid in the diff is 1,6l differential fluid + 0,117l additive. Or use LS (limited slip) diff fluid which contains the additive.
If the problem is the differential.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I would never bother with trying to figure out how much additive to add to the differential when you can buy the stuff already mixed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
May also want to check brake pad wear. They have wear indicators on the inner pads that causes a high pitched squeal when it contacts the rotor. There may be enough flex in the rotor to cause this indicator only to contact the rotor during cornering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts