Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornin guys!! With the break in the heat we are having here in SC I am finally getting some work done n the Vette. I got the door panels installed yesterday thanks to everyone here's help.:thumbsup:

While I have the Vette up on stands I need to find a place to put my oil temp sending unit on my 454. I thought about removing the oil pan drain plug and putting it there but I would loose the magnitized plug which has trap so stuff in my new motor. I have and electric oil pressure sending unit already plugged into the hole over the filter. I know some have suggested the oil filter cooler adaptor plate that goes between the filter and the block. Is there anywhere on a bigblock that I can plug in the sensor directly without using the adapter or the oil plug drain ?

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dont know if the BB is the same as the SB,but on the SB you can
fit it just behind the dizzy on the china wall of the block.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. Unfotunately the BB's don't have that opening. The ony place I can find that there is even a port is the one above the oil filter. I am hoping I am just missing something.

Thanks though I appreciate your reply.

Wade

·
Registered
959 Posts
the best place is in the pan...you could take it off and weld in a "bung"
...redvetracr

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the best place is in the pan...you could take it off and weld in a "bung"
...redvetracr
Thanks. Next oil change I plan on doing that. What about the plug on the passenger side near the dipstick tube? I noticed that today. I think it is below the center freeze plug.

Thanks
Wade

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Thanks. Next oil change I plan on doing that. What about the plug on the passenger side near the dipstick tube? I noticed that today. I think it is below the center freeze plug.

Thanks
Wade
Is that the plug into the water jacket?? I don't recall any other easy removeable plug under either side down lower, more near the pan gasket....

if it's in the iron, it's into the water jacket...I"d bet ....

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Is that the plug into the water jacket?? I don't recall any other easy removeable plug under either side down lower, more near the pan gasket....

if it's in the iron, it's into the water jacket...I"d bet ....
Yep. That'sthe block drain plug.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
For a temp sender to be resonably accurate it needs to have flow past it. My BB has a small port right above the oil filter for pressure, and then 2 larger ports that were for oil cooler plumbing. One of thiose has my temp sender in it, but I don't remember which one..

:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts