Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, '92 LT-1 has a coolant leak. When I get out after driving the car reeks of coolant, so I know it's going somewhere. The way it smells you would expect to pop the hood and see everything coated in green, but I've looked everywhere I know to look and can't see any wetness, no drips under the car, etc.. What am I missing? Radiator is a couple of years old, water pump is a year old and the hoses were also replaced then. I know the coolant level is going down because I got a low coolant light yesterday and had to top off the system.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I dont know if you checked your oil. See if your oil is turning a little white. You might have a blown head gasket. I had a blown head gasket in my 77 and it was comming out the exhaust. I dont know if this will help, bud good luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I am chasing one as well,here's what I've done, I tightened every fitting on any coolant hose also the heater hoses as well. I even checked my radiator cap with a pressure tester. Check the tightness of all the metal lines that also go into the radiator, also make sure there is no damage to your overflow cannister and line.

Cross your fingers and hope there's no head gasket issue. You can also rent or buy a pressure tester and this will pressurize the system and hopefully the leak will peep it's ugly head out.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
bro if coolant don't go down under the car,if you don't see anything there under the hood...just one way remain, it flow into your engine, sounds like a blown head gasket,i hope i mistake...good luck

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would it smell like coolant under the hood with a head gasket leak?

<edit> Just had the car serviced, how long would it take for it to show up in the oil?

·
Registered
267 Posts
The smell around engine bay don't match a blown head gasket,how much coolant do you add?,ceck for any leak,if it flow from intake manifold area, under pressure codition (warm engine) it may evaporate around exaust manifold and disapear,but a manifold gasket is a bad news too...let wait for some guru here

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Could be an intake leak. My old Silverado had one, it would burn up some coolant and I'd have to add more but it never leaked and never contaminated the oil.

·
Registered
11,227 Posts
...I just found out 2 weeks ago that were the 2 hoses attach
at the throttle body face the gasket that seals that area was
leaking causing a small amount of antifreeze to be drawn into
the intake, when I had my MSD system installed he fixed that
issue and I no longer experience what you have stated above.

....I was topping of mine also every now and then, check for
very small leakage there, it does not take much antifreeze to
hit the exhaust manifold to create that smell.....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, coolant is still vanishing.

Still no visible leaks, and I've crawled all over this thing.

Oil is pretty, doesn't look like oil out of a car with 120k miles.

Engine bay stinks.

Exhaust doesn't seem to stink and it's not smoking.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Heater core?

New radiators still can suffer a pin hole leak too. Buy some of that leak detector stuff (The stuff you put in either your oil or water and look under a black light for leaks) :huh:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ah ha! Smelled coolant on the way to work this morning, so I stopped and popped the hood. Found a little bit of coolant (a few drops) on the passenger side of the water pump right where the bolt goes through to hold the pump on. You can also see a faint trace of where it has been leaking there and evaporating. It's right under the bleed valve and two hoses and around that bolt, so I need to look closer to see exactly where it's leaking, but I'm on the trail now.

·
Super Moderator
8,547 Posts
Ah ha! Smelled coolant on the way to work this morning, so I stopped and popped the hood. Found a little bit of coolant (a few drops) on the passenger side of the water pump right where the bolt goes through to hold the pump on. You can also see a faint trace of where it has been leaking there and evaporating. It's right under the bleed valve and two hoses and around that bolt, so I need to look closer to see exactly where it's leaking, but I'm on the trail now.
IT OBVIOUSLY time to replace the water pump and gaskets before the coolant leak destroys the opti-spark ignition

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IT OBVIOUSLY time to replace the water pump and gaskets before the coolant leak destroys the opti-spark ignition
Water pump is only a year or so old, I have a MSD billet opti. Doesn't seem so obvious to me, anyway. Looking at this picture, the water is a few drops where the upper left-most mounting bolt is located (directly under the radiator and heater hose fittings). It's either leaking around the thermostat gasket, that mounting bolt or from one of those hoses.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts