Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to buy a at home diagnostic tool so I can just plug it in and see whats wrong with my car for myself rather than having good year do the same thing at $100 a pop, money isn't really an issue as long as it doesn't go over 300 bucks. I have found a lot of them and for around $100-150 but they usually say for cars manufactured after 1995 and mine is an 86 so im like -__- does anyone know of one that works on cars older than 95? if so a link would be greatly appreciated =D

Thanks, Bobby

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I bought an Actron CP9145 in a kit form with case and all cables. Covers OBD1 and 2. Nice tool to have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought the Actron 9145 and the optional 127 GM cable needed for OBD1 cars like my 84 C4. Now I can use on OBD1 and 2 cars. The 127 cable was $30 and the 9145 was $99 from amazon.com The 9145 was selling a few years ago for $200. The 9185 model for $200 will read OBD1 and 2 cars also, not sure what cables it comes with.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
why not just use the jumper method and get your codes that way?
:thumbsup:
if all you are after is the code recovery and not engine monitoring

www.
corvettebuyers.
com/
c4vettes/
codes.htm
Put the above link back together.
DC doesn't allow direct links to other Vette sites

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
Since you're dealing with OBDI why not just use the jumper method and get your codes that way?
because that just offers codes if any, a good scanner lets you look at what everything is doing real time even without codes.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
89 Posts
That's interesting. I always thought that using a scanner on ODBI would not produce the level of information that ODBII would.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW lol all these different things to do I don't know which to choose, another thing I never knew cars were categorized as odb1 or 2? guess u learn something new everyday. As for the using an older laptop i can't because I have windows 7 on all computers in my house and there's no going back =/ and assassin if u are selling how much? and that will work in a 86 vette? ur pic shows a newer one and the thing im concerned about is buying one that will work with my car right out of the box.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just bought the Actron 9145 and the optional 127 GM cable needed for OBD1 cars like my 84 C4. Now I can use on OBD1 and 2 cars. The 127 cable was $30 and the 9145 was $99 from amazon.com The 9145 was selling a few years ago for $200. The 9185 model for $200 will read OBD1 and 2 cars also, not sure what cables it comes with.

I found that scanner on amazon with all kinds of cables for 300 but no software, what software are you using?
http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9150-AutoScanner-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B00020BM32

1 - 14 of 14 Posts