Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been talking with friends and reading about these things. It seems that getting some 4.10 gears would be a great first mod for my C6. What I need to know is where to get this done. I live in Atlanta but will consider any good shop within easy driving distance. Oh BTW, how much should this cost me?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hmmmm.... Maybe I'm asking the wrong question.
The question is fine. There may not be anyone on the forum, from your location, that would know. There are many threads on 4.10 gears, use the search feature at the top of the page, plug in "4.10 gears" and I'm sure you will come up with some threads to go over. The cost will depend on "exactly" what you want done...:cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I had the gears installed by RPM
Transmission
In indiana
Rodney is the best IMHO
You have a good shop in Cumming GA Vengence
If you want more info I will look up their numbers
John Sr.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the gears installed by RPM
Transmission
In indiana
Rodney is the best IMHO
You have a good shop in Cumming GA Vengence
If you want more info I will look up their numbers
John Sr.
Thanks, I did find the number and tried calling them. I did not reach them, but will try again.

IThe question is fine. There may not be anyone on the forum, from your location, that would know. There are many threads on 4.10 gears, use the search feature at the top of the page, plug in "4.10 gears" and I'm sure you will come up with some threads to go over. The cost will depend on "exactly" what you want done...
Thanks, I have gotten a few useful replies. As for the "search" feature, I have not had much luck with it. I've tried "gears" and combinations of "gears" with other words. The results are pretty useless. I think the search features in every forum I know are fairly clunky and useless. I wish somebody with knowledge about these things would create a more useable/poweful search feature.... As for the cost, I would like to get and idea of the cost of a set of 4.10 gears installed in my C6. I imagine the gear set has a price and the installation also. Perhaps I can get some responses and determine approximately what a general cost might be....

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thanks, I did find the number and tried calling them. I did not reach them, but will try again.

Thanks, I have gotten a few useful replies. As for the "search" feature, I have not had much luck with it. I've tried "gears" and combinations of "gears" with other words. The results are pretty useless. I think the search features in every forum I know are fairly clunky and useless. I wish somebody with knowledge about these things would create a more useable/poweful search feature.... As for the cost, I would like to get and idea of the cost of a set of 4.10 gears installed in my C6. I imagine the gear set has a price and the installation also. Perhaps I can get some responses and determine approximately what a general cost might be....
If you buy brand new (gears/housing $2200+ install of about $500+) You can also get your gears re-worked & have them swap in the 4.10's for much less, I had this done out the door was about $1800:thumbsup: although I went w/3.90's have the A4 C6 automatic...it's like 4.10's in a manual...

·
Registered
481 Posts

06 Monterey,

One of the finest driveline places in the country is Dyno Tech Engineering, located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I realise that location is not close to you, but if you call them at 260/407-5455 they will be glad to explain the entire procedure, and give you the exact cost for what you want to do. My gear change a few years ago, cost approx. $1100 usd. Regarding the "search" feature, I just now put "4.10 gears" in the search window, and came up with 46 threads relating to the subject. If you want to look at Dyno Tech Engineering's website, for further information, go to: www.dynotech-eng.com...:cheers:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
06 Monterey,

One of the finest driveline places in the country is Dyno Tech Engineering, located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I realise that location is not close to you, but if you call them at 260/407-5455 they will be glad to explain the entire procedure, and give you the exact cost for what you want to do. My gear change a few years ago, cost approx. $1100 usd. Regarding the "search" feature, I just now put "4.10 gears" in the search window, and came up with 46 threads relating to the subject. If you want to look at Dyno Tech Engineering's website, for further information, go to: www.dynotech-eng.com...:cheers:
Thank you very much for the info. This thread will probably appear when somebody else does a search now ;) ... All kidding aside, when you did your search, did you use the quotation marks around the search words? (" "), I did not and maybe that's why I get so many irrelevant results.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. This thread will probably appear when somebody else does a search now ;) ... All kidding aside, when you did your search, did you use the quotation marks around the search words? (" "), I did not and maybe that's why I get so many irrelevant results.....
No, don't use the quotation marks in the search window. When you mentioned doing a search in one of your posts, you said that you put the word, gears, in the search window, and I put in, 4.10 gears, being a little more specific for what you were looking for...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ahh yeah you're WELCOME! don't mention it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
i've been looking to put some 3.90's in my mn6 Z51. Zip-products.com has the best prices on rearend accessories as for as i could find. the performance shop doing my gear swap already had a set so i didn't have to buy any. my upgrade should be completed this week - i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i've been looking to put some 3.90's in my mn6 Z51. Zip-products.com has the best prices on rearend accessories as for as i could find. the performance shop doing my gear swap already had a set so i didn't have to buy any. my upgrade should be completed this week - i'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Great! I'd love to hear your experience....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Mti

MTI I believe is in your area Marietta. mtiracing.com Try them I had mine done in a special. I put a question up to the forum vendors in Houston could they match the $995 Corvettes of Westchester COW? One in Houston took me up on it. He used a hardened gear Mosfet from DTE and put in a hardened drivers side output shaft as well for $1286 :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
3.90's

I got my car back a few days ago - so for so good. I went from 3.42's to 3.90's, I can tell a huge difference in acceleration. I went around a chopper yesterday in 3rd gear, just showing out a little - I could fill the tires on the verge of breaking loose until I shifted into 4th (maybe a slight exaggeration). 6th gear at 70mph = 2000rpm.
I have no complaints. I had mine done by Brad Emmons at BM Peformance in Bossier City, LA.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just one gear you are replacing, known as the final drive ratio? And its contained in the rear differential, not the gear box/transmission. Why do you guys keep saying "gears"?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just one gear you are replacing, known as the final drive ratio? And its contained in the rear differential, not the gear box/transmission. Why do you guys keep saying "gears"?
Apparently, "gears" has taken a generally accepted definition of the rear differential gear set. This is specially prevalent in discussions of RWD cars.... It seems that the FWD and AWD cars tend to have tall gears anyway and people generally leave them alone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts