Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where/Who fixes 4+3 Doug Nash Transmissions in my area? Who do I trust in Connecticut or Southern Central Mass. to fix my trans? :huh:
Has anyone in this area had experience with getting their 4+3 fixed? I have an 1986. The trans does not engage!
Thanx Steve

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
is it that you can't shift the gears or that you can't get the OD to engage?

if the OD have you checked the fluid levels? often it won't engage if low.
Have you checked the power to the circuit on the OD? maybe the wires are broken.

if it's the manual section it is simply a modified super T10. if they can rebuild one of the simplest trans ever built, they can rebuild the manual section of yours.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it that you can't shift the gears or that you can't get the OD to engage?

if the OD have you checked the fluid levels? often it won't engage if low.
Have you checked the power to the circuit on the OD? maybe the wires are broken.

if it's the manual section it is simply a modified super T10. if they can rebuild one of the simplest trans ever built, they can rebuild the manual section of yours.
It's like a have a 4spd. The up arrow is almost always lit for me to upshift yet the +3 wont engage. I can toggle the OD light on and off but it's not engaging. I know I replaced the switch years ago.

OK the long story is; I had the engine rebuilt long ago in 1990 and it was removed from the car. The OD didnt work when I got the car back. The guy that worked on the engine went out of business so I was SOL, amongst other things. ( I think he replaced the thermostat which a lower temp too which I read effects the 4+3.(??))

Several years ago I went to a Corvette speciality shop and I believe he he said parts of the 4+3 were actually missing (from an outside visual inspection). So I was like WTF?? What could be missing that he could see? I dunno?
I never had the money to get it looked at, so now I finally have a little and dont know where to start.. The vette only has 60K on it. Right now the MPG sucks! I'd like to get this fixed.
Im not much of a DYI when it comes to cars... A lot of your post is over my head... :huh:

·
Grey Squirrel
22,780 Posts
That sounds like the overdrive unit itself is either shot or just not there..... could that be the part that is missing? :huh:

You can get a remanufactured overdrive unit by calling 5speeds.com @631-957-9427. They have sold some of their parts to skspeed.com so I'm not sure if they still have them.

The hard part about these transmissions is GM no longer provides training on their repair but if you can find a good mechanic I can send you a link to a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
if you are under the car you will notice two parts of the transmission. first closer to the front is the manual. closer to the rear is theoverdrive unit. on the side of the OD is a plug with a 3/4 inch or something close square top on it. with the car level unscrew that plug and see if red trans fluid comes out. if not stick your pinky inside and see if you can feel fluid. if not it's low. It takes ATF and you'll need a pump to get it in-- available for about $8 at a car store-.

fill it up until it runs out and try driving it.

if they seem to think something is missing it might be the OD switch. It wiil have a gray or black plastic shell and screwed into one side of the unit. Look for wires broken around there.

only other thing could be missing on a visual is the speedo drive AKA the VSS ( but you'd notice no indication on the dash), and the lines to the radiator.

look up things for the doug nash 4+3.. you should be able to find some schematic or pics to help out.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you are under the car you will notice two parts of the transmission. first closer to the front is the manual. closer to the rear is theoverdrive unit. on the side of the OD is a plug with a 3/4 inch or something close square top on it. with the car level unscrew that plug and see if red trans fluid comes out. if not stick your pinky inside and see if you can feel fluid. if not it's low. It takes ATF and you'll need a pump to get it in-- available for about $8 at a car store-.

fill it up until it runs out and try driving it.

if they seem to think something is missing it might be the OD switch. It wiil have a gray or black plastic shell and screwed into one side of the unit. Look for wires broken around there.

only other thing could be missing on a visual is the speedo drive AKA the VSS ( but you'd notice no indication on the dash), and the lines to the radiator.

look up things for the doug nash 4+3.. you should be able to find some schematic or pics to help out.
Thank you. First nice day I will check it out... :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts