Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am new to this upgrade/mod of my Vette. I have a 2003 Z06, and I am looking to start with a couple of simple mods...

I would like to know which intake is the best, and why?

Thanks for you input and help...

Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
After alot of research and talking with techs, I decided on the Halltech Stinger. I purchased it from LG Motorsports in Wylie. Call them, they are really good at explaining what to do and why.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am also wondering the opinions of two intakes for my '02 coupe 6m.
After reading post after post I have narrowed my choices down to two
The Callaway Honker and the WCC Hurricane.

I thought for sure i was going with the Honker, when I requested a quote to install it, the shop recommended the hurricane. I can't find many opinions/reviews on the hurricane so figured I had better ask.

Both look similar in design and function.

Thanks!!
Justin

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here is a cold air induction you can do yourself with your stock parts. You will need a washable filter (K&N or Green) and some Tie Wraps.

Essentially it is the bottom and filter frame of the stock airbox flipped over, fitted into a hole cut into the radiator shroud. All held together tightly using Zip Ties and the stock clamps.

A "Write up" for download is attached at the end of this post.

________________________"DO IT YOURSELF"_______________________

"FLIP-TIE"

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am also wondering the opinions of two intakes for my '02 coupe 6m.
After reading post after post I have narrowed my choices down to two
The Callaway Honker and the WCC Hurricane.

I thought for sure i was going with the Honker, when I requested a quote to install it, the shop recommended the hurricane. I can't find many opinions/reviews on the hurricane so figured I had better ask.

Both look similar in design and function.

Thanks!!
Justin
Justin, nothing is really comparable to the Honker. The Hurricane is old technology. The Callaway unit was flow bench tested and is top quality material. They use the best filter money can buy and the fit is OEM. You can not go wrong with the Callaway unit. I have had a Stinger a Vararam and the Honker. It was the best by far. Good Luck!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks Matt!

I was always leaning towards the honker and now I think you have helped me solidify my decision on the honker.

Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!
Justin

·
Registered
655 Posts
You will be glad you did. I noticed more of a difference with the Honker than any other cold air intake I have ever used. The Vararam was a decent unit but I always had a bit of a problem with low end throttle hesitation. When I switched to the Honker that immediately vanished. They flow the best of any product out there but lots of folks swear by the Vararam and it is a fair product. It is not well made and the filter is of poor quality but it is a decent second choice I would recommend if you don't want to pay the extra 60 bucks for the Callaway. Now for the extra 60 bucks you get so much more with the Honker.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I disagree with you mattvette, I dont think you had your cars volumetric efficiency tuned correctly for a vararam intake. Once i tuned my cars VE (volumetric efficiency) for the new intake the car did not have any low end throttle hesitation. I strongly feel that the vararam is the best intake on the market. I can actually back it up too. Stock my car ran [email protected] (3 runs consistantly) I then tried a Honker intake on the car got to around [email protected] again roughly 3 passes. The vararam got me a [email protected] first pass and for my 2nd and 3rd passes i got a [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts