Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering your thoughts on a Air Intake

Callaway Honker , Vararam, or the Hurricane from West Coast Corvette..

I did have the Vararam on my C5 Z

·
Registered
655 Posts
I was wondering your thoughts on a Air Intake

Callaway Honker , Vararam, or the Hurricane from West Coast Corvette..

I did have the Vararam on my C5 Z
It will cost a little more but the Callaway product is top notch. Your air intake is the big "thief" in robbing you of horsepower. Change that and you will notice a difference.:thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
10,140 Posts
Much has been posted and written about this issue. You probably can't go wrong with any of the big names including Halltech.

However, I'm surprised you are considering changing from Vararam for the C6. I can really tell the difference with my Vararam. GM High Tech performance magazine reported the following:

For the Z06, Vararam says:

The new VR-SC1R Snake Charmer for the C6-Z06 represents the culmination of input and testing from racing teams, top tuners and our relentless R&D program. This has led to a product that has proven itself to be the most powerful Ram air system on the market for the Z06 Corvette!! 1/4 mile improvements of 3.5 tenths and 3.5 MPH with no tuning!! Simply plug and play! Noted improvements in both driveability and fuel mileage! The unit is made of high quality cross link material and unique with its Billet Air Meter, Green High Performance Filter,Throttle Body Spacer and Redesigned Air Scoop!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks Matt ..
Thats what vette folks do..look out for each other. :thumbsup: The hurricane model is good as well and the Vararam unit, while not as well made is OK too. HallTech also makes a very good unit. I just feel the Callaway unit is the best choice. Any cold air intake will be a huge improvement on the new "Z:" car as the stock intake system is crappy.:down: If you are thinking about doing this using a technician I would suggest using a good tuner that has done this before and getting the car tuned at the same time. This will optimise the whole process and really increase your power exponentially. Don't be surprised to see at least 25 to 35 extra rear wheel power with a intake and tune.:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
Which Intake

Just talked with callaway tec today Callaway is a lot of money but I think it is the high end intake to go with Iam donig a engine build on my 06 Zo6 with LG motor sport but my builder wants to go with callaway hoonker. Were looking for around 550 or more rear wheel hp.:partyon:

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just talked with callaway tec today Callaway is a lot of money but I think it is the high end intake to go with Iam donig a engine build on my 06 Zo6 with LG motor sport but my builder wants to go with callaway hoonker. Were looking for around 550 or more rear wheel hp.:partyon:
If your working on the heads and throwing in a larger cam, then your well on the way to top the big 500! What you will reep the most benefit from is the torque which is pretty weak in a stock Z06.
The Callaway product is a little pricy but it is quality made and offers the best filter on the market.
ENJOY!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Which Intake

Thanks. The build on 06Z06 won't start for a few more months but were going with the LG G7x4 pacage which is port polish heads cam rods headers flow through 3'' cats X pipe and corsa exhaust. Ordering things a month at atime don't want to make any mistakes.:laughing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts