Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just read some bad stuff about fram oil filters .wont be using fram again.what brand is best for 70s vette and 98 vette.what # part nos thanx

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I run Mobil 1 filters in the 77 and the 05. I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil also. I hear Mobil 1 is the best?

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Out of all the tests I have read Purolator PureONE Oil Filter is the best. They make several sizes for the SBC, depending on the exhaust system. Determines the length of the filter. I always run the longest one that will fit,(most capacity).

Purolator PureONE ... $6.49

The PureONE consistently performs at the top when it comes to filtering capability. The paper/fiber element has more filtering material and surface area than other filters and internal construction is very good. There are some concerns about oil restriction because the filter element is so dense, and if you have a high performance engine you may be better off with the more expensive Mobil 1 oil filters. However, the PureONE’s excellent filtering capability, high quality construction, and affordable price make it a top overall pick.

Mobil 1 ... $10.95

Mobil 1 oil filters are fairly expensive, but their fully synthetic fiber elements do a much better job filtering small contaminants than the conventional paper elements found in cheaper filters. But despite their excellent filtering capability, these filters still flow well. The Mobil 1 oil filters are manufactured by Champion Labs and can be purchased at many retail locations. They are virtually identical to the K&N oil filters (which feature a welded nut at the end for easier installation and removal), but the K&Ns are harder to find at retail locations. However, if you can find a good deal on them online, the K&N oil filters are equally recommended.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I run the Puralator PureOne too. There are some old test reports on the net that rate them the top.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

They discontinued the long one in 2010, but still make the slightly shorter one. I bought a case of the long ones when I heard they were DCing them which will probably carry me through the ownership of my car since I only get ~2K mi/year on the car.
:cheers:

·
Registered
433 Posts
just read some bad stuff about fram oil filters .wont be using fram again.what brand is best for 70s vette and 98 vette.what # part nos thanx
OK...so for the moment let's set aside personal bias.... given that I have been driving for more than 40 years and every single car I have ever owned, with one exception, I have NEVER had engine problems due to oil or filter related issues, including my 'vette. :D
Let me state that I have used Fram filters almost religiously during my entire driving life.

The exception BTW was a turbo-charged dodge (used car) I bought that ran hot from the day I bought it; one of the heads developed a crack, and blew on me after about 6 months of ownership.

Back to the thread topic ---- What exactly did you hear bad about Fram???? :surprised

·
Registered
8 Posts
http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

There are relatively few manufacturers most of whom make filters which are packaged under several different brands but are at least similar.

Good ones include the Pur filters and the Mobil 1's as stated, with the Mobil 1 having maybe the best filtering becuz of the media. Some other good ones are Wix, Delco/AC, Motorcraft.

I like the ones from PUR with the rough, grippable surface.

·
Registered
243 Posts
this may be just here-say, I don't really know, but I was told that some of the cheaper brands (fram) that use cheaper manufacturing processes can have minor debris inside when new. for example some metal shavings from when the threads were cut. It is definitely possible, but again it is what I was told, I have yet to read anything about this.

personally I use whichever filter is on sale with the oil I use, which sometimes is a k & n, other times is a mobil 1. I always use synthetic in anything I drive, so usually the more expensive filters are included. And FWIW, I haven't seen anything fail from a bad filter either, although I did see a truck with sludge built up blow from being "stopped up".

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I have seen a few tests where many filters are cut open. Most were of a similar quality, so year it's kind of a moot discussion.

However, Fram was easily the worst. In it's testing, much of the oil didn't even pass through the element and was able to flow right through gaps large enough to throw a cow through. LOL. I may not care which of the other filters is the 'best' but I want to make sure my oil is at least filtered.

Of the 'rest' I like Wix. It's still very affordable, made with quality parts, here in the USA.

Mobile 1 and PUR and also great choices, and if I had no issues spending upwards of $10 on a filter, I really like what I have read about Amsoil filters and products.

·
Registered
251 Posts
what no one uses wix... ? ? I have moble1 syn and a wix in my 77

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

That's a very cool filter.

However, at $120 for the housing, and $15 for each filter I'd have an initial investment of $135 for oil filtration.

My Wix filters are around $6 each. Breaking that down, I'd have to change my oil 20 times to break even with the initial investment. That's 60,000 driving miles. But, with that filter, I'd still have to buy replacement filters at $15 each. That's another $300 in filters for the same distance / change interval.

That means that calculating that extra $300 in filters, I could drive another 150,000 miles on $6 filters.

VERY cool filter...8 micron filtration...but not worth a total of $435 for 60,000 miles worth of driving and oil changes.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
That's a very cool filter.

However, at $120 for the housing, and $15 for each filter I'd have an initial investment of $135 for oil filtration.

My Wix filters are around $6 each. Breaking that down, I'd have to change my oil 20 times to break even with the initial investment. That's 60,000 driving miles. But, with that filter, I'd still have to buy replacement filters at $15 each. That's another $300 in filters for the same distance / change interval.

That means that calculating that extra $300 in filters, I could drive another 150,000 miles on $6 filters.

VERY cool filter...8 micron filtration...but not worth a total of $435 for 60,000 miles worth of driving and oil changes.
$435 is not a bad investment for 60,000 miles to guaranty that a $7000 motor will run another 60,000 miles. But thats not the point.
The question was not about price, it ask about the best. and I would say Keven has found the best.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've cut up a series of small block chevy filters while working a parts counter and have used purolator ever since. Wix or AC is a safe second choices.

Filters are cheap, if you have doubts, buy a couple and cut em up. Ends all the heresay and hooey.

I've run some personal experiments and found that you can buy a car with a poor oil change history and jet black oil, and within ten oil changes have the oil remain clean for 3000 miles.....if you use a quality filter. If you're using a generic filter or a fram changing the oil every thousand miles won't keep it clean. It's going to stay black.

As much as I hate the orange devils, those who've cut them up say fram's premium filter is actually OK.

There are many reports of frams causing ticking on certain engines, with the owner being able to turn the problem off and on with filter choice. I think one is a hugely popular camry application. Any manufacturer who spends that much on advertising and that little on quality ought to be boycotted in general. Just an opinion.

happy filtering!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
what no one uses wix... ? ? I have moble1 syn and a wix in my 77
I use Wix or Hastings(Spelling). In my mind they are the best money can buy.:partyon:
If you are using Fram, you might as well get one of the Toilet
Paper Canister kits from JC Whitney.
Use some 'John Wayne' toilet paper and it should filter
2 or 3 times better...:rolling:

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
OK...so for the moment let's set aside personal bias.... given that I have been driving for more than 40 years and every single car I have ever owned, with one exception, I have NEVER had engine problems due to oil or filter related issues, including my 'vette. :D
Let me state that I have used Fram filters almost religiously during my entire driving life.
Take a hack saw and cut the threaded ends off of a new AC and Fram filter.
Pull the elements out and compare them.

Your eyes will not lie! Fram has great advertising and that is about it...

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
$435 is not a bad investment for 60,000 miles to guaranty that a $7000 motor will run another 60,000 miles. But thats not the point.
The question was not about price, it ask about the best. and I would say Keven has found the best.
Ivan hit the nail on the head :thumbsup: i did not buy this filter for the price,i use it to protect a very expensive motor, I find the $120 as very cheap insurance to protect a motor.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Ivan hit the nail on the head :thumbsup: i did not buy this filter for the price,i use it to protect a very expensive motor, I find the $120 as very cheap insurance to protect a motor.
They also recommend changing the filter every 10000 miles not 3000 and they give double the filtration of the spin on filters, so those calcs aren't accurate anyway.

I use Wix or Hastings(Spelling). In my mind they are the best money can buy.:partyon:
If you are using Fram, you might as well get one of the Toilet
Paper Canister kits from JC Whitney.
Use some 'John Wayne' toilet paper and it should filter
2 or 3 times better...:rolling:
Can't knock the toilet paper filters. I've still got the original Franz filter from the 60's that I had on a VW dune buggy (VW's didn't have a filter at all) and it is a "bypass filter" system that filters down to 1 micron, too bad there isn't enough room for one of these on a C3. Almost all high dollar engines in overtheroad trucks, yachts and the military use bypass filters. Proven technology:D

·
Premium Member
10,260 Posts
just an FYI, I was down at Autozone this morning picking up some oil and a filter for the Jeep and they're running a sale on 5 qts of Mobil 1 oil and a Mobil 1 filter for $30. That's about $22 savings over regular price :thumbsup:

I run the M1-301 extra capacity filter on the Jeep and change at 6000 miles. Oil is dark when I change it, but not black. I wonder how much impact air filter quality has on oil condition.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I use K & N oil filters.
why? because of there flow and they are still able to stop small micron contaminants.

I also use Amsoil 10w40 synthetic. For the extra Zinc and phosporus for the flat tappet cam. Plus the long oil change interval is a plus.

My motor runs like a champ!
And yes, it is leak free.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts