Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious which plug wires are being used and by whom?

I want them to look good, but good performance is important.

Anyone have a problem with ACCEL? They cost half as much as the GM wires.

Bosch, Taylor, Autolite and Moroso are other obvious choices.

I just swapped back to a stock rotor, cap and coil, from a ACCEL supercoil,cap and rotor.

Also, which cylinder is supposed to get the 180 deg boot? The previous owner had it on #5.

Should the rest of the boots be 90deg?

TIA

·
DC Crew
32,974 Posts
I am going to put taylors on my car next. I can't help you with the boots thing I have headers but I don't recall my stock wires being different I'll look tomorrow and let you know.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't squawk about my MSDs. About 40K miles now with nary a problem. They're seemingly impervious to header heat.

·
El Teafive
10,489 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,627 Posts
I'm curious which plug wires are being used and by whom?

I want them to look good, but good performance is important.

Anyone have a problem with ACCEL? They cost half as much as the GM wires.

Bosch, Taylor, Autolite and Moroso are other obvious choices.

I just swapped back to a stock rotor, cap and coil, from a ACCEL supercoil,cap and rotor.

Also, which cylinder is supposed to get the 180 deg boot? The previous owner had it on #5.

Should the rest of the boots be 90deg?

TIA
This is what I'm using, check them out.

http://www.magnecor.com/

·
Registered
501 Posts
any plug wire with a metal ''spiral wound'' conductor is a huge improvement over oem wires...be sure that you get ''spirals'' and not ''solid'' core wires as you MUST have a ''radio suppression'' wire to reduce EMI that WILL upset both your distrib and ecm...any carbon core will be junk after 2 years max.

i have a set of MSD wires in my storage cabinet at present...they worked great, but lengths were not correct and i didn't want to chop em apart, plus wanted ''red'' wires...put on Accel wires and have had no prob (wish i could say the same for other accel products)

do take care when installing that no wire is in contact with exhaust headers (we have fried ALL makes of wire on various installations) and not on any sharp corners...and recheck after a few hours of operation that none of the wires have been relocated into harm's way by ''gremblims'' -- it is a favorite trick of the gremmies to do that, seen it many times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, fellow enthusiasts, for your information. It looks like a wide range of opinions. The MSD's seem to be the most popular aftermarket wire. I was hoping to have more opinions of Accell.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you, fellow enthusiasts, for your information. It looks like a wide range of opinions. The MSD's seem to be the most popular aftermarket wire. I was hoping to have more opinions of Accell.
I can offer one. As a rule, Accel electrical and electronic components are way more troublesome that their MSD counterparts. This is not only from personal observation and experience but also from what I have gleaned from perusing many other performance forums. We experimented with some of their stuff 25-30 years ago and I was not impressed. I've seen nothing since that time that alters my opinion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can offer one. As a rule, Accel electrical and electronic components are way more troublesome that their MSD counterparts. This is not only from personal observation and experience but also from what I have gleaned from perusing many other performance forums. We experimented with some of their stuff 25-30 years ago and I was not impressed. I've seen nothing since that time that alters my opinion.
That's what I was looking for!:thumbsup:

Where do hoot owls hump chickens?:crazy:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Where do hoot owls hump chickens?:crazy:
This occurs so far out in the boonies that even the Presbyterians there handle snakes..... :surprised :lookinup: :drink: ;) :laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts