Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1999 vet with 6 speed manual trans. And 50k miles on clock, which should i use the dexron v1 or gm man. Trans. And transfer case # 88861800 fluid? I want to stay with a gm product. Thanks............

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I have a 1999 vet with 6 speed manual trans. And 50k miles on clock, which should i use the dexron v1 or gm man. Trans. And transfer case # 88861800 fluid? I want to stay with a gm product. Thanks............
The 6MN needs an ATF that meets or exceeds the Dexron III standard

·
Supporting Vendor
210 Posts
I prefer Redline myself :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Amsoil or Redline ATF full synthetic in the trans

·
Registered
240 Posts
hey Junk,
in the file you sent here it says:
9. Fill the transmission with DEXRON®-III automatic transmission fluid through the check/fill plug
hole until fluid begins to pour out, then install the check/fill plug hand-tight.
10. Complete filling the transmission with fluid to the proper level. Refer to Transmission Fluid
Checking Procedure

:WTF where do you fill it if you put the check/fill bolt in?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
hey Junk,
in the file you sent here it says:
9. Fill the transmission with DEXRON®-III automatic transmission fluid through the check/fill plug
hole until fluid begins to pour out, then install the check/fill plug hand-tight.
10. Complete filling the transmission with fluid to the proper level. Refer to Transmission Fluid
Checking Procedure

:WTF where do you fill it if you put the check/fill bolt in?
I think the document I sent you is for working on the transmission while out of the vehicle. Check out this document. This is for filling with fluid with the transmission in the vehicle.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Go with the Mobil I synthetic ATF
It handles the heat much better and shifting is better
I have used it since my 2001 was new and works well for street, racing and high speeds.

·
Registered
240 Posts
what if you have dexron in there now and your NOT going to flush it? also, autozone dosent have trans filters for these, dealer item?

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
what if you have dexron in there now and your NOT going to flush it? also, autozone dosent have trans filters for these, dealer item?
Would you trust a Auto Zone transmission filter in your Corvette? :huh:

·
Banned
591 Posts
I find it hard to believe they don't have them but
THERE ARE OTHER STORES

AutoZone does have them online and they are made by TCI
Nothing wrong with that

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I find it hard to believe they don't have them but
THERE ARE OTHER STORES

AutoZone does have them online and they are made by TCI
Nothing wrong with that
But they don't stock them. The stuff they stock is always the cheapo brand or their in house junk. If you are going to order parts, you may as well order online yourself of go to a parts house that stocks quality parts.

·
Banned
591 Posts
But they don't stock them. The stuff they stock is always the cheapo brand or their in house junk. If you are going to order parts, you may as well order online yourself of go to a parts house that stocks quality parts.
sounds just like Kragen's and Pep Boys :laughing:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you in Louisville with me? I could have just came over and brought you the docs! What part of the 'Ville do you hail?
I'm in Highview, off Beulah Church Road near Gene Synder. No need to change fluid yet only 60k on car. But I will let you know if I have any issues with my car. I will PM you my cell.

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
I'm in Highview, off Beulah Church Road near Gene Synder. No need to change fluid yet only 60k on car. But I will let you know if I have any issues with my car. I will PM you my cell.
Got it, responded. I'm in Old Louisville by the way. Good to find a forum member so close! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
trans fluid

hello junkman and others, having early mn6 with paper blockers , and since gm no longer license dex3 , and because original dex3 is not a synthetic product , and because i trust gm i am going to fill my trans with gm manual trans-transfer case #88861800. i have researched this quiet abet and found this to be the answer i was looking for. but thanks to everyone for your reply. god bless.............

·
Premium Member
30,448 Posts
hello junkman and others, having early mn6 with paper blockers , and since gm no longer license dex3 , and because original dex3 is not a synthetic product , and because i trust gm i am going to fill my trans with gm manual trans-transfer case #88861800. i have researched this quiet abet and found this to be the answer i was looking for. but thanks to everyone for your reply. god bless.............
Good to hear and thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts