Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont want to get the Shiftworks kit, I want to file out the shift plate on my existing shifter. Recently put in 700r4 in 79, L-82. Is it as simple as filing back the rear part of the plate to allow the shifter to go farther back?

·
Registered
24 Posts
700r4 conversion

hey i have the same question. i recently swapped to a 700r4 from a th350. well i'm still in the process of finishing a frame off. (i.e. breaking in motor, checking for leaks, checking wires hoses , etc...)
i modified the lower trans cable bracket and can only get to 3rd. i was thinking of filing/grinding the shifter bracket, too.
78 350/700r4

·
Registered
24 Posts
700r4 shift plate

well, after a little mod on the shift cable bracket (holes wouldn't align) and adjusting lower lever, i managed to get all the gears except 1st. i filed off about .15" ( alittle more than 1/8"). now i get 1st gear detent. later on today i'll do a check and maybe adjust the indicator later when i start reassembling the interior.
1978 350/700r4

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
When I was planning my TH2004R swap I was in the same boat as you guys.

I didn't want to buy or install the kit, and I contemplated notching the stock bracket for 1st gear.

With everything adjusted and aligned, I can get 2nd as my lowest gear. Not an issue in an automatic.

The more I thought about it the more I realized how infrequently I really needed 1st gear. Almost never. Put it in drive and you get 1st every time you stop.

If you need to manually drop it down...file a notch. If not, I wouldn't bother.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts