Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front end rebuild kits? Urethane, rubber, whatever. I'd like to find GREASEABLE Urethane.

WHo's got the best set? Not the cheapest, but best most all inclusive set. Looking at my winter project. Rip the front end apart, and replace everything.

Then on to weatherstrips, new soft top, and maybe a new short bloock..

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
http://www.energysuspension.com/

Tim, VBandP buys from these guys. Good stuff.:thumbsup:
YOu know Bird, methinks U right....I remember that from long tyme ago...

BTW, my urethane suspension been in there 12 years now...only thing to ever squeek is the sway bar....

gotta use Locktite Red on the A arms though...U don't, and they will....

:devil: :crazy: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Hey Tim, my front end needs rebuilt also,when you get done with yours do you want to do mine :laughing:
just kidd'n plan on doing this winter,it never ends does it :thud:

BTW: need to talk to you about fuel.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
wasn't there some talk that the VBP ball joints wore out quickly?

The idler arm fit sloppy on my car.
I thought that was Heckler's. Moog is what ya want anyhow.
I bought my urethane bushings from VBandP. Dam things made by my house. Shipped to Florida and back to So. Cal.:crazy:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After 35 years and 30,000 miles the rubber is done. I'd love to install Herb Adams' nyliner bushings, but they're not made anymore. NExt choice is urethane. I don't see VB&P on the supplier list. No problem with WHO I get them from, I just want the BEST quality I can find. THis is gonna be a 1 time shot. Anyone have greaseable parts? OR has everyone had good luck with standard urethane and just Moog ball joints?

:cheers:

·
Banned
3,855 Posts
Yep. Just grease em with silicone grease upon install. Lock tite the cross shafts like I forgot to.:thud:
hehe...U 2?? hummmm.....it was the pass side upper rear coming out on me, under the compressor where it was allmost lost....

but I say MOOG is the way to go, first pair of MOOGS lasted about 8-9 years for me, down here, I bought AZ Mcquay-norris....JUNK....not happy one damn bit....car has a veryslight pull to the right now...very slight, only noticed at 80+ mph....PIA....

But those ES urethane bushings coming along just fine for 12 years now....

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
The best suspension parts are made by MOOG. No one that I'm aware of sells a complete MOOG kit- cost too much to market, so imported parts are mixed in. If you want the best buy and built your own "kit". I've used several kits and they were ok but the MOOG joints and parts are better. I use rubber only, as you said it lasted 30 years and there is no noise. If you're road racing maybe the poly would be better but for a street car then I'd go rubber.
Will you be concerned about it in another 30 years?
Just my useless opinion you decide.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
The best suspension parts are made by MOOG. No one that I'm aware of sells a complete MOOG kit- cost too much to market, so imported parts are mixed in. If you want the best buy and built your own "kit". I've used several kits and they were ok but the MOOG joints and parts are better. I use rubber only, as you said it lasted 30 years and there is no noise. If you're road racing maybe the poly would be better but for a street car then I'd go rubber.
Will you be concerned about it in another 30 years?
Just my useless opinion you decide.:thumbsup:
Gary, I have never disagreed with you. I agree on the Moog 100%. But I will tell you, the urethane is BIG improvement in handling. I have had both.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've used MOOG stuff on other cars in the past, so I'm with everyone on the ball joints. The car rides like crap anyway, the factory F-41 suspension of 69 will beat you like a red-headed stepchild. So I'm going to make the most of it and put the toughest, most durable stuff in I can find. The idler arm was replaced some years ago- ordered one from the store, got it, and it was 1/2 the size of the one that was in the car. The one that's in there is the size of my wrist- HD part for sure.

And you are correct Gary- in another 30 years I won't care, but hopefully my grandson will.. IF he can still get gas for the thing.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,771 Posts
Gary, I have never disagreed with you. I agree on the Moog 100%. But I will tell you, the urethane is BIG improvement in handling. I have had both.:thumbsup:
It's ok to disagree not a problem. Maybe the newer poly has been improved over the older stuff, not sure. Still for my cars I'll stick with rubber.

Tim, good point. In 30 years it will only cost you or your grandson $275 to fill it up if you can still get 93 octane:lookinup: I think if I'm still around in another 30 my vette days will be over!:laughing:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just don't by Prothane Bushings. Energy is the best poly. I just called Van Steel and they sell Dana Ball Joints and energy bushings in their poly kits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts