Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whos got one? What year? If you have driven a C5, how would they compare? Are they a blast to drive? Just a few questions...sorry so many...I just got into the ZR-1's and I wanna know some stuff about them! TIA

B

·
0 Posts
ZR-Don is the only dude I know that has one. He is around somewhere....

·
Registered
1 Posts
STuNnInTeE said:
Whos got one? What year? If you have driven a C5, how would they compare? Are they a blast to drive? Just a few questions...sorry so many...I just got into the ZR-1's and I wanna know some stuff about them! TIA
I have a ZR-1. I haven't driven a C5. I was looking into getting one and I went to look at a vert but then I came across the ZR-1 and drove it and then I was hooked. My Z is a 1990 and is lightly modded. From what I have been told the C5 is much stiffer than the C4. Like to drive a C5 someday to feel the difference between the two. The LT5 in the ZR1s are a blast. My gripe is if you get a Z06 which has the same HP as the ZR-1s, you can only get them in a Fixed Roof Coupe. ZR-1s you can still take the top off. 1/4 mile times stock are right there between the two. Doesn't take much in mods to make a LT5 show some good gains. On the bad side, if you want to make some Really great HP #s it is going to cost you compared to a L98, LT1, or LT4 equipped car to do the same. Oh yeah one other cool thing 7000k RPM redline, and it will make some great HP up there. The sound of it winding out is really cool. Hope this helps a little.

Greg

·
Registered
218 Posts
STuNnInTeE said:
Me! Me! :D I have a 90 with 30k miles.

I am going to pick up my own used ZO6 in a few years and MOD THE CRAP out of the thing but it will be sitting beside my ZR-1 in the garage, not replacing it. :partyon:

The ZR-1 and Z06 comparison is apples and oranges! They are both GREAT cars, but it depends what you want. I usually stay FAR away from those ridiculous pissing contests that always seem to pop up, but…….since you asked….. ;).

There is excellent information on the King of the hill at www.zr1.net.
I also recommend the book The Heart of the Beast by Anthony Young. It tells the whole story about the joint effort with Lotus to develop the LT5 and how the ZR-1 coverage put a lot if interest back into the C4 line up back in its day.

For me, the ZR1 is a keeper:thumbsup: . The 1990 ZR-1 kicked the crap out of anything available on a new car lot that year, including most of the true exotics. I don’t drive the car as a daily driver but I pound on it at the track and it pulls mid to hi 12’s. Not too bad for a car not specifically geared or designed for running the ¼ mile. The ZR-1 is a BLAST on the highway and on road trips. Wide open at 7200 rpms is just awesome. With the hood open, it always draws some attention because not too many engines look as cool as the LT5 in a clam shell hood (IMHO).

Trust me, it is very EXPENSIVE to Mod and get work done on the LT5. And yes, it is a pain in the azz to get in and out of (but I don’t mind that being all of 5’7” tall) and it rattles like all the rest of the C4’s. I guess for now, I just prefer the race car look and feel over the creature comforts available today.

I have driven the C5’s and agree they are a MUCH more comfortable and practical as a every day car and “pretty good” performance in comparison to the rest of the current competition. I am impressed how the new C5’s respond to mods but, I just wish that GM would put out a limited production Vette from the factory that puts down 60 percent more power then the current base corvette and that could kick the crap out of the competition (like the ZR-1 did when it first came out…….in the pre-viper days ;) :nuts: )

Put all that value crap aside…….I want something that will be on the cover of the magazines…by itself, not following behind a Vip, pooch and a bimmer.
:spanked:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my 90 ZR-1 and it is a lot of fun to autocross. I still am posting faster times than the 405hp Z06 cars. I run in the NCCC IIF class or in SCCA I'm in BSP. I have Watson headers and Flowmaster exhaust for that sweet musical exhaust note.

Last week at an autocross there were 5 Vipers all were at least 3 seconds slower than my times. One guy had the audacity to have VETEATER on his tag.

To compare to a C5, I only like the brakes better, I still go faster......!

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
I hear the Z06's can't keep up with any C4 on the autocross.... I heard of L98 cars wasting them.

I think the Z06 is not an auto-cross car.... more of a road-race car. Ya think?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It really depends on the driver of the car. In most cases I have witnessed the experienced drivers are fast in ANY Corvette they drive. Usually the new Z06 drivers are new Corvette owners and are still learning how to drive the car. It all comes down to seat time. The prevoius owner of my car was always FTD anytime he drove the car. I am not able to replicate that performance yet...I'm still learning too!

·
Registered
27 Posts
STuNnInTeE said:
I have a '93 ZR1 and an '02 Z06. Both are great cars, but as others have said, they're a different breed. If you stop and think that the ZR1 was released in 1990, you can get an idea of how far ahead of its time it was. It took Chevrolet 10 years to come out with anything that would come close.

As a daily driver, I like the Z06 better. It's more refined and civilized than the ZR1 in my opinion. If you like the open air, the Z06 doesn't have an open top option, so for that I would give the ZR1 the nod. However, if you do serious racing, I believe you will appreciate the stiffness of the C5s in general, and the even greater stiffness of the fixed roof Z06.

On the other hand, I like the sound of the LT5 at full crank much better than the LS6. Hood open, the ZR1 also commands much more attention than a Z06.

But with only 6500 or so built over it's 5 year life, the ZR1 is a limited production car. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure Chevy pumps out more Z06s in a single year than there were ZR1s built in total. And there won't be any more ZR1s built, so if you're looking for something that will run with the "big dogs" and like some exclusivity, the ZR1 is the way to go.

Jonstr

·
DC Crew
53,209 Posts
Re: Re: WHo here has a ZR-1?

jonstr said:
I have a '93 ZR1 and an '02 Z06. Both are great cars, but as others have said, they're a different breed. If you stop and think that the ZR1 was released in 1990, you can get an idea of how far ahead of its time it was. It took Chevrolet 10 years to come out with anything that would come close.

As a daily driver, I like the Z06 better. It's more refined and civilized than the ZR1 in my opinion. If you like the open air, the Z06 doesn't have an open top option, so for that I would give the ZR1 the nod. However, if you do serious racing, I believe you will appreciate the stiffness of the C5s in general, and the even greater stiffness of the fixed roof Z06.

On the other hand, I like the sound of the LT5 at full crank much better than the LS6. Hood open, the ZR1 also commands much more attention than a Z06.

But with only 6500 or so built over it's 5 year life, the ZR1 is a limited production car. I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure Chevy pumps out more Z06s in a single year than there were ZR1s built in total. And there won't be any more ZR1s built, so if you're looking for something that will run with the "big dogs" and like some exclusivity, the ZR1 is the way to go.

Jonstr
Excellent points, Jonstr. Your lucky to have both of those sweet rides!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree on all the points posted above. Since I'm not a fan of the FRC Z06, I decided to just get a "regular" C5 and put a real motor in it. Better looks. more luxury, better aero, and a more top end friendly 5th gear make my 382 C5 coupe more like a modern day ZR-1.

But there is still no substitute for the King of the Hill in terms of pure driving pleasure, especially after spending some time with Lingenfelter. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts