Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to keep the 6L80, but everyone keeps trying to tell me to just go with a 4L60.

I want to keep the 6L80 because (a) I already own it, (b) its what was originally with the LS3 I got and the computer, etc, (c) 6 speeds seems cool.

So who has done it? Im using the CIC motor mounts if it maters.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
Thats a big unit that doesn't easily fit in vehicles not specifically designed for a 6 speed slush box. There is also the issue of tap up tap down shifting that is difficult to apply to a steering wheel/column and all of the relevant wiring.

Of course it can be done but it is going to take a lot to make happen. So the real question at hand is do you want a build you can start enjoying a lot sooner? Or do you want your lengthy build to be centered around adding 2 gears?

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
heres my take!
yes the 6L80E will take noticeably more work to install, and its larger and heavier and more expensive to install, making it more difficult , BUT...once its installed you've got a noticeably stronger transmission with a couple more gears, and since Ive shredded a few 700r4 and 4l60 transmission in the past, behind big block engines,Id certainly prefer that 6l80E if it was my car.. it comes down to a question of if you want to compromise and slap something together just to get the car up and running fairly soon, or are you more concerned with having something rather unique and, more durable/ stronger with a couple extra gear ranges,you can be proud of owning , that will take longer and cost more to accomplish?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I am looking at using the shrifter6 paddle shift unit, so that would handle that issue. Have to get a new crossmember either way.

Honestly, the extra size of the trans seems mostly to be on the lower half.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I want to keep the 6L80, but everyone keeps trying to tell me to just go with a 4L60.

I want to keep the 6L80 because (a) I already own it, (b) its what was originally with the LS3 I got and the computer, etc, (c) 6 speeds seems cool.

So who has done it? Im using the CIC motor mounts if it maters.
google it there are guys who have done it and i think a company that sells parts for the conversion . If it was me I would sell it and go 4l80e .. But your car your ideas matter !! Mine dont lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
I might be totally missing the point here, but if your main objective is to have an OD transmission, why not go w/ a 200R4?

They can be built (or so I've heard) to handle large HP/TQ numbers, and there are adapter kits for the LS engines that make the swap relatively painless.

You wouldn't be able to say your C3 has a 6-speed, but you wouldn't have the headache from trying to get such a big transmission to fit under your car, either.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law, so I understand wanting to use the 6L80e b/c you already have it, but it might be about the same price to go w/ the 200R4 after all the fabrication and additional necessary parts.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just wanted to update this in case someone else is interested, but the 6L80 fits in no problem, no tunnel mods needed at all. I have pics, but not uploaded. I am going to try and find a shallow pan for it as it hangs lower than a 700r4 but all is good.

Edit: Just ordered the G8 pan and filter, looks like I will save about 1.5 inches, so thats great.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just wanted to update this in case someone else is interested, but the 6L80 fits in no problem, no tunnel mods needed at all. I have pics, but not uploaded. I am going to try and find a shallow pan for it as it hangs lower than a 700r4 but all is good.

Edit: Just ordered the G8 pan and filter, looks like I will save about 1.5 inches, so thats great.
can you pm me some more info and maybe pics ?
I am currently thinking of installing a 4l80E or going 6l80E behind my 383.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can i also get pics as im doing the same thing. Would be great to see a build thread with a 6l80e , ill be doing one when i have everything :)

·
Super Moderator
8,482 Posts
yes posting several clear pictures , and all the details and part numbers that apply to installing that transmission in your corvette, with that engine,here, would be very helpful

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I'm using the 6L80 in my '76 restomod. I've had both transmissions, the 4L60 and the 6L80 as daily drivers. I favor the 6L80 over the 4L60 because of the gear spread. I just like the more subtle shifts, up and down of the 6L80. In the end their over drive ration are similar. Some say the 4L60 can be built to be a little more robust. I'm not sure because racing or performance driving is not high on my list for this build.

The engine is going to the machine shop soon. While the machine work is being done I plan to tear down the 6L80. So' I'll be posting a lot of photos of the teardown soon. And sometime after that I'll be posting photos of the block and transmission sitting in the bare frame.

But for now, a photo added of the 6L80 next to the nearly bare 496 block

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
After having my '78 for 9 years I finally decided to do the engine/trans swap. The original 350 is absolute toast. I'm going with a gen 5 454 and I'm trying to decide between a 700R4 and the 6L80E. I was all set to go with the 6L80 until I saw folks mentioning that it would not fit. I need some real guidance as I'm ready to order the trans this week. My friend I grew up with who is helping me with the build is a sharp dude when it comes to building cars, but I'd certainly like to hear from someone that's installed the 6L80 in a model like mine.
Thanks!

G

1 - 18 of 18 Posts