Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to install a inline fuel filter
can iinstall filter inrubber line off tank

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Just make sure the filter you use is designed to pull thru. Most pumps don't like to pull thru a filter, they like to push thru it. Pulling thru most filters can cause them to collapse internally, blocking the fuel flow.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I just bought one of these...

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Wix 33299 has a few (many ?) applications, one of which is for a 454" GMC motorhome. It's for a 1/2" hose.

·
Registered
160 Posts
GM. If you have some skills, you can build a new fuel line from the pump to carb using a late model Corvette filter. That way, you can get replacements at any NAPA.
Procedure for installing a 85 Corvette High Pressure Fuel Injection (GF481 fuel filter) or purolator f33144 in between a carb and pump setup.

Okay - here's the info for the line:
GM part number 22527595 (Group 3.163) is a straight piece of 3/8" steel fuel line with a correct "O-Ring" fitting with a rubber O-Ring on both ends. The line is about 8 feet long or-so. The fittings and O-Rings on this line will screw right into the '85 Corvette High Flow High Pressure fuel injection fuel filter. This line also has 2 pieces of the spiral-wrapped "armour" on it that you can utilize as you see fit when you fabricate your custom line. I did not have cost info, but I seem to remember that it was somewhere in the range between $10 -$20.

You'll need a 3/8" Tube Bender (Snap-On and Blue Point both sell a nice hand-bender that will bend 3 sizes of tube up to 3/8". Eastwood also carries them) and a double flare tool for 3/8 tube (there are some nice double-flare kits out there that will flare multiple sizes of tube) as well as a tube cutter. Armed with these tools, a grease pencil, an X-Acto Knife and a small half-round swiss file, you can bend up any fuel line you want utilizing the good '85 Vette filter.

Cut the 22527595 line in half, and bend up a line from the filter to the fuel pump and another line from the filter to the carb. If you buy a 42" long piece of 3/8" brake line from NAPA, it will have 2 inverted flare fittings on it. Cut the end off this NAPA line and take the fittings. Then use the rest of the NAPA line to trial-bend your two tube sections before you try it on the nice GM line. Use the inverted flare fittings on your new bent up custom line at the fuel pump interface and at the carb interface. Your new lines will thus have O-Ring fittings on one end that will screw into the filter, and inverted 45-degree double-flare fittings (that you will flare with your flaring tool) on the other end for screwing into the fuel pump and carb. This produces a neat-looking and highly reliable fuel line for your Vette engine, and it has a very stock-looking appearance even though it's not stock. With a little practice, you'll be able to use the bending tool very quickly to make accurate, good-looking bends. I use a grease pencil to mark the line for bends as I fit the line to the engine one bend at a time. It works well.

Before you flare the cut ends of your tube sections with the flaring tool, it is imperative that you de-burr the ends of the cut tube extremely well. I use an X-Acto knife, and run the knife around the inner diameter of the tube to cut out the sharp ridge that the tube cutting tool leaves. Then, I use a small half-round Swiss file to file the inner diameter of the tube to eliminate every trace of the ridge. Once the tube-end prep is perfect, you can then slip the inverted flare fitting into the tube and use your double-flare tool to fabricate a great-looking flared end that will seal up well.

Once your lines are fabricated, you can put a little polishing compound on a rag and rub your lines through the rag. This will polish the plating on the lines (usually zinc) and make your lines look almost chrome. Pretty cool.
More pics and info here:
http://www.vetteclub.org/technicaltips/techfiles_files/How to Build a Fuel Line.pdf

I was working on this but my bending skills are still in the formative stage. It is much easier to work from one end to another vice from the middle. Also, NAPA has 18" length of lines with the O-ring fitting. Saves having to buy the big line direct from GM.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The C4 filter seems like a good swap but I used to have a C4 and changing the fuel filter was a bitch! An hour of crawling under the car soaked in gasoline (me, not the car).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts