Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, and girls. So who does everyone feel are more die hard corvette fans. The guys who rip Corvettes apart and mod them, or the guys who don't mod them and just drive them. I know this is kind of vauge but in realty there are probably like 6 different kinds of corvette fans.

·
Registered
205 Posts
C-4 owners are the most die hard. It seems we have to work on them more than other Vette owners with less drive time. To me that is some true die hard Vette love. :partyon:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Well I think they are both die hards

But if you've ever ripped a car apart

You'll know it's alot of hard work and cost's a Fortune*

That's pretty diehard in my book Buddy

Most are just week-end Waxer's like A.J / Polish'r

POST#15

"Horsepower does'nt matter"

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143341

And would prefer to pass on all the grease, Bloody knuckles and siezed Bolts

They would rather just read about modding :nuts:

Bon

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I think they are both die hards

But if you've ever ripped a car apart

You'll know it's alot of hard work and cost's a Fortune*

That's pretty diehard in my book Buddy

Most are just week-end Waxer's like A.J

POST#15

"Horsepower does'nt matter"

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143341

And would prefer to pass on all the grease, Bloody knuckles and siezed Bolts

But would rather just read about modding :nuts:

Bon

This is a funny quote.
Im a blood, knuckles, and grease guy. I put 10 grand into a $10000 car, why? Because I love it.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
If you mean Die-Hard as in Acidic to the core - I would say they are equal.

What I have always found perplexing is how so many people would be attracted to the design and sexy lines of the Corvette and then immediately start their search for the cheesiest assortment of stick-on doo-dads and ricer mods in an effort to make the car into a mechanical representation of Amy Winehouse? Based on what I have seen over the years - they NEVER DIE! :huh:

There are some good mods out there - even a few "great" ones for the Corvette, but mostly a ****-pile of bad ones that for even as little as 5-bucks can turn the car into trailer trash with nothing but 3M tape.

I personally like "stock", "enhanced" and "tastefully done radical conversions". What I don't like are "degraded" versions. It is like taking a beautiful woman and saying "How can I improve this?" and come to the decision that a bunch of tattoos will be the answer. Nothing more stimulating than sleeping with a fading assortment of logos for the next 40 years! :smack

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hard core = You know the size of every nut, bolt & screw that holds your car together.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Hard Core = You would rather drive a Corvette and mod it than Eurotrash you could buy for the same money.

Ecstasy is sitting at a light next to an AMG SL and the guy looks over and says "You could get more pussy in a car like this and you could go faster". You respond "If I paid 150k for a tractor I would go for a John Deere". Then blow his doors off when the light turns green.

Oh Yeah baby, defending the honor of the American Legend can be fun.

:cheers:

·
Registered
729 Posts
Loaded question...someone like Patrick, who will flog his car within an inch of its life seems hard core in the same way as someone who drives it and then spends twice the time cleaning it as the time he spent driving it. Maybe someone should ask Dave Ressler!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hard core is drive it, mod it, tune it, show it, do all your own work, and enjoy every minute of it. When you work on your own stuff you get to know a lot about the car and it pays off if your in it for the long hall!

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
I think once you own a vette you become a fan,die hard or not it's hard not to love em.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
I'd say I was a hard core, die hard Corvette fan.:D

I have been loving Corvette's ever since I knew what a car was and the minute I was able to get a Vette of my own I did. I was 21 when I purchased my very first Vette. All these years later (38 now) and I'm still loving them just as much.:partyon:

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This is kind of a loaded question, but am I less of a die hard fan because I don't have the time or knowledge to work on my car then the wrench tuner in a garage somewhere doing his own mods. I say no, I have corvette books, diecast, shirts, blankets and loads of pictures of my car all over the place. I die hard fan is some one that loves the thing more then anything and is willing to spend hours on end talking about them and what they like about it. Lets try it this way though, if you are a die hard fan of a football team does that make you less of a die hard then the person that plays for the team? I think not. :thumbsup:

·
DC Crew
20,699 Posts
Definitely the guys who do their own work, whether modding or restoring.

But I'll take it even further and say the guys who fabricate throughout their own projects. That's about as hardcore as it gets.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
These guys are:

Veyron..$1.6 million; Callaway Sedgehammer 0.4million

Veyron...252mph; Sledgehammer...254.7mph

Veyron...7.9L engine; Sledgehammer 5.7L

Veyron....4 turbos; Sledghammer 2 turbos

Veyron..dynamic spoilers and no downforce/cornering ability in order to reach top speed;
Sledghammer...stock vette suspension with Koni shocks and lowered one inch, 254.7mph set on an oval track. Retains downforce.

The sledghammer was done in 1988 by a small private company, the Veyron took 5 years, 50 engineers, and current technology to just design the tranny.

The sledgehammer weighs about half as much and retains its downforce whereas the veryon has to remove it.

The car was now running at speeds above 200 mph around the TRC 7.5 mile oval track. Just as it seemed the car was headed on the right path, running in the 210 / 215 mph mark, the folks at TRC said, “The car seems to be fine, do you expect a few more miles per hour”? At that point, Chief Engineer Tim Good said, “No, you don’t understand – this car is supposed to go 250 mph”. The TRC Engineer turned and snickered and from that point on Tim said, the whole attitude changed from the TRC staff “it was like having a disease”.

More determined than ever, the Callaway crew headed back out to the track. An “almost full throttle pass” yielded a 248 mph run. It was then, a TRC engineer asked if it would go faster… Tim said “Yes it will” and so the track remained open.

"At 3:45pm on October 26, 1988, the Callaway Sledgehammer Corvette was piloted to its record speed of 254.76 mph around the banks of TRC.

The car was driven by John Lingenfelter after Reeves had returned from overseas with the flu. After setting the speed record, the crew celebrated their victory and prepared to head home. Before leaving, John Lingenfelter was quoted as saying “you know, your car goes 100 mph faster than mine” referring to his standard Corvette. J

The 254.76 mph record setting run is just as much of a legend as the day it was set back in 1988. Reeves Callaway and his entire crew have made their mark in automotive history with that machine J The car has been shown at Corvettes @ Carlisle, the National Corvette Museum and recently, at the Petersen Automotive Museum."

http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/C...ember/cotm.htm

"Marvel of engineering genius OR unnecessarily complex overpriced Volkswagen nonsense? Two volkswagen V8s = W16 with "a bunch of upgrades slapped on" from the factory. If Chevy thought there was an elite market for a twin turbo 1000+hp Vette capable of 250mph I'm sure they could build it at ~1/3 the cost of the Veyron. Im getting sick of people *edited for language" over this car. VAG is a huge company with nearly limitless resources - I'm more impressed by the small company that builds a custom one-off car capable of this kind of speed. Sure it won't be mass produced but neither will the Veyron. Development was supposed to be axed on the Veyron a bunch of times and it could very well have resulted a one-of-a-kind vehicle that nobody will care about in 6 months.

*flame suit on*"

"LPE has been building 1000+hp corvettes for years that are very reliable. Sure, they may not have the looks or the exoticness that this car has, but I think much of this car was designed more or less so say "hey we can do it to". I mean seriously, you don't need (2) V8s and 4 turbochargers to make 1000HP reliability."

"in top speed mode the veyron only has 120 pounds of downforce instead of the usual 770 so i guess its a moot point."

"The Saleen S7TT Produces its own weight in downforce at 160mph" At top speed which is only a few MPH shy of the Veryon (750HP model) its most likely producing 6000+ lbs of downforce and still can reach those speeds"

"Or the fact that at 250mph with only 170lbs of downforce (Veryon ) you can't so much as turn the wheel or brake without crashing the thing.

The factory test pilot himself crashed on a racetrack warmup.

The 250mph figure is marketing only, so people will ohhh and ahhh over the car without realize it is undriveable at that speed.

Of course the vette did 254 on an oval track without those ridiculous limitations 18 years ago, but it sucks performance wise right?"

END QUOTES

In my opinion anybody owning or dreams of owning a Corvette is a die hard :thumbsup:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats how I feel about it. But on the flip side theres guys who don't wrench who spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to fill up a garage full of vettes. Compared to my custom 98 C5 that guys might be considered hardcore. For example my wifes uncle has a garage kept 2002 coupe a4. It has 30,000 on the clock. He heard I bought a C5 and started having a conversation with me, with intrest in the conversation. Till he found out the car was a 98 and I only payed 11,000 for it. Then he didn't care to much about the conversation.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
END QUOTES

In my opinion anybody owning or dreams of owning a Corvette is a die hard :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Well said.

·
Premium Member
13,918 Posts
END QUOTES

In my opinion anybody owning or dreams of owning a Corvette is a die hard :thumbsup:
Well said.[/QUOTE]

:agree: Once you are lucky enough to actually own one you never want to be without one ever again.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
Being a diehard is a state of mind, no matter if you spend hours polishing the outside, or if your spend hours tuning the inside. You are the only one that knows for sure if you are a Dihard or a poser...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts