Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Almost 2 years ago when I picked up my benz, I look around my price range and just imagine driving the other fantasy cars such as a older porsche or a fat engine american muscle car (vette, mustang, etc).

To my surprise I saw a bunch of C6 vettes selling for the same price ~22-26k. '08-11, some with very low miles 25-40k.

In a parallel universe I would probably be driving one, and I would either regret it to my death or absolutely enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Thats nothing the C5's in my area are going for 10-14K.

·
Registered
72 Posts
obsolete product concept, a week end extra car for pleasure. .

It shouldn't be a real big shock, you also didn't buy one when you were in the market, for the same reasons as everyone else.

Only holds two, expensive to keep on the road, paying for performance that is not needed, other cars can do the same thing for less money while also being more versatile.

Most happy owners seem to be older and use the product as a specialty week end driver for a couple. Both marriage and car ownership are not as popular as they were back in the playboy magazine days when the car sold well and people had more money.

as a used car, you have the upkeep of a high line car without the status or resale value of other car lines with better reputations for customer satisfaction and quality , and if you just want to go fast a mustang will be cheaper to run.

This was and is a product from the days when the working class had money and didn't mind buying a GM product. Now two people are working on a household income and sunday pleasure drives are for rural folk only.

·
Super Moderator
10,061 Posts
It shouldn't be a real big shock, you also didn't buy one when you were in the market, for the same reasons as everyone else.

Only holds two, expensive to keep on the road, paying for performance that is not needed, other cars can do the same thing for less money while also being more versatile.

Most happy owners seem to be older and use the product as a specialty week end driver for a couple. Both marriage and car ownership are not as popular as they were back in the playboy magazine days when the car sold well and people had more money.

as a used car, you have the upkeep of a high line car without the status or resale value of other car lines with better reputations for customer satisfaction and quality , and if you just want to go fast a mustang will be cheaper to run.

This was and is a product from the days when the working class had money and didn't mind buying a GM product. Now two people are working on a household income and sunday pleasure drives are for rural folk only.
Why are you even on this site? Just to be an obnoxious troll?

The C5, C6 & C7 are VERY reliable cars with few problems. The C6 won several JD Power awards. Each of these generations were the best performance bang for buck in the market place AS PER MULTIPLE CAR MAGAZINE publications during their years of production. My C6 gets 28.5 MPG on trips - not bad for 425 HP. Other than a couple of recalls for minor issues, it has never been in the shop in 11 years.

BTW, like each of my Corvettes, my C6 has been my daily driver from the moment I picked it up at Bowling Green. Again, zero problems...oh, just remembered: I am on my 3rd battery in 12 years. Not great, not bad. The Wife's last Mercedes batteries never made it into their 5th year.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts

The C5, C6 & C7 are VERY reliable cars with few problems. The C6 won several JD Power awards. Each of these generations were the best performance bang for buck in the market place AS PER MULTIPLE CAR MAGAZINE publications during their years of production. My C6 gets 28.5 MPG on trips - not bad for 425 HP. Other than a couple of recalls for minor issues, it has never been in the shop in 11 years.

At the very least he isn't helping Masaladosa make up his ****ing mind. :laughing:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Fix my theft circuit , maybe I change my opinion about GM product..

Well , at least I learned Mr. Lngtimer is a huge chevy fan boy, and carries a quick temper. Guess this might not be the best time to point out another resale value problem with the line, the stigma the car carries, the rep the car owners try to avid like stink, but will not die.

I answered the question asked , but almost regret my opinions caused conflict enough to call out one who is somewhat intolerant of conflicting opinions about a simple car resale question.

I attempt to get through every day happy and don't come here to be a foil for grumps or to hang with angry people. I often fail at positive posts, but I don't do it on purpose.

I'm not here to fight with guys looking for internet power, just here for fun. It can be fun to tweak a bullies noise but I don't want to foster that kind of atmosphere. I have been proud to be peaceful since 1976, but that is another story.

I've nothing to prove, i'm secure, retired, kind of normal. I enjoy a nice convertible.

My world doesn't revolve around car culture, but I know it well enough , growing up in so cal during the muscle car days. I am here to learn better stewardship of my ride , which I have owned about six years, bought used, obviously.

Although not on topic, perhaps sharing a corvette story will make things all better .

I was going to the beach in my 03 all black convertible, with chrome wagon wheels, a pretty car. Guys give it thumbs up, chicks are mostly indifferent or negative. It was summer, so parking was tight, I knew from experience this means my only chance at a parking space was at el Porto beach.

It has nice parking, with a concrete pad right on the beach. A couple of spots were open on a beautiful sunny day because of the surf. It is a surf spot, and when it gets going , it isn't a choice spot for splashing around with the kids.

It was going off, the only reason for the few open parking spaces. I wasn't that thrilled, I prefer a less extreme scene, but nature wasn't playing that tune.

While it is good for a man to be brave , I have my limits. Being old , one learns caution, the old body has performance limits, and I wouldn't want to bump up against a physical limit in heavy surf. My mind still thinks I am twenty.

So I took my swim fins out and gave it a whirl. It wasn't real dangerous, but it was fast and took a lot of effort to position for a ride. I lasted about twenty minutes, when my timing started to slip, I got the heck out. Not a place with room for fatigue , the surfers gave it the nick name hammerland, but it can be fun.

As I was toweling off by the car, two young men parked next to me , teenagers who board surfed, said it must be nice to drive a vette down to the beach, and then kick ass on the waves.

I was pleased at the compliment, having young strong surfers say I did well was a surprise. From my perspective, I was working so hard out there, to avoid getting worked, that style points were the last thing I was feeling. It's a fear sport, where overcoming fear is part of the entrance ticket.

It is good for a man to know his place with fear, but the real benefits are fun and health, mental and physical. Aligning ones actions to blend with the wave energy in nature gives a mediative satisfaction later on. I guess that is true for any man who seeks to interact with nature. I first heard the big whisper backpacking up in the high sierras.

So that is my story of promoting the car line in my area. The young guys dug the car, including it as a part of my deal, respect is always cool , and rare between young and old strangers.

So, I'm out there busting my ass trying to keep the youth of America from buying imports and get bitch slapped for having an opinion stronger than which polish is more he man to use.

HEck of a world, takes all kinds to make one.

Most of my stories are much better, it's just that I don't drive the vette in any of those. I do plan to take the sled out car camping to the redwoods one of these days, so the stories might get better, hopefully.

P.S. I still wouldn't recommend the car line . I enjoy that the car is designed for fun, and delivers , but the amount of involvement to keep the old car in shape is not for most. As a guy told me at my first cruse in, they were designed to be assembled quickly, not for ease of repair.

·
Registered
72 Posts
whoops, I am in the wrong area.

I only own a c5, and didn't realize I was commenting in a c6 section.

Never mind all that stuff I said. I stumbled into C6 land mistakenly, being unfamiliar with the format.

I come here only once in a while because a guy at a show made me promise to use this site, said it was important to him.

only realized my mistake just now.

·
Registered
6,078 Posts

BTW, like each of my Corvettes, my C6 has been my daily driver from the moment I picked it up at Bowling Green. Again, zero problems...oh, just remembered: I am on my 3rd battery in 12 years. Not great, not bad. The Wife's last Mercedes batteries never made it into their 5th year.
:agree:

I've owned many cars in my life, and own several now, and the Corvette has been the most reliable to date - compared to any other manufacturer and model I've driven. My C6 turns heads almost every day I'm in it, and always puts a smile on my face when I want some excitement. Not to mention the many times I've tracked for days at a time, flogging it relentlessly, then driving it home, and never once getting any indication that the car couldn't take the abuse.

IMHO, my Corvette has been the best automotive investment I've ever made.

In case anyone still thinks the Corvette is a joke, they should look at this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/autos-sports/2019-performance-car-of-the-year/ar-BBPSlpb#page=1

Cheers! :cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts