Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posing these questions as a happy 2005 convertible owner who doesn't understand the lack Z06's (I feel everyone's pain that is trying to get a Z!)

1. Production is limited by the Performance Build center that makes the Z06 engine. I read that the center could produce 15,000 engines a year. What other engines are being made there? The supercharged Northstars? What else? This alone doesn't add up as there is no way the Northstars are sucking up the rest of the Build Center production.

2. Is there such demand for coupes and convertibles that the Bowling Green plant can't take capacity away from them (coupes and convertibles) to make more Z06's?

3. Are there other Z06 features (aluminum frame, CF fenders,etc...) that could be causing the dribble of Z's being produced?

4. Is this a CAFE imposed restriction?

Good luck to everyone getting their Z.

Jimmy

·
DC Crew
53,221 Posts
jimmyb said:
I'm posing these questions as a happy 2005 convertible owner who doesn't understand the lack Z06's (I feel everyone's pain that is trying to get a Z!)

1. Production is limited by the Performance Build center that makes the Z06 engine. I read that the center could produce 15,000 engines a year. What other engines are being made there? The supercharged Northstars? What else? This alone doesn't add up as there is no way the Northstars are sucking up the rest of the Build Center production.

2. Is there such demand for coupes and convertibles that the Bowling Green plant can't take capacity away from them (coupes and convertibles) to make more Z06's?

3. Are there other Z06 features (aluminum frame, CF fenders,etc...) that could be causing the dribble of Z's being produced?

Jimmy
Some of the chosen parts manufacturers can only handle so much output.

There are a lot of exotic parts/materials on the Z that are only on the Z. Even at 3 shifts, some of these parts suppliers can only crank out so many units. If GM wanted to ramp up production, I'm sure they are pressuring some of these places to be able to produce more.

·
Super Moderator
10,093 Posts
Patrick said:
If GM wanted to ramp up production, I'm sure they are pressuring some of these places to be able to produce more.
Exactly. Unlike some of the 60's and 70's model years, GM has set production limits for the sake of quality, rather than shoving less than best quality out the door to maximize revenue and highten ownership frustration.

However, the entire purchasing program is built around a target number of Z06 units. I think that this is a rare instance where Marketing is not driving the the target number. It is set by either model profitability, model environmental/CAFE needs, LS7 availability, dealer gouging ability (like a bonus from GM to dealers for the Chevy lean years) or some combination of all of these. GM Marketing is probably crying in their beer over the limited supply, when current demand is so high.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Now, on the flip side, assuming this level of production continues, it does ensure the value of these cars. I'm not real happy about the situation, but owners should be happy.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have to admit, I'm happy that GM is not making more Z06's. They've finally built a world class car and if they keep the numbers low it will be a valued and coveted car for years to come! I say keep the numbers low, sorry guys.

EFE Z06

·
Registered
673 Posts
:agree: easy for me to say because I have my Z, but If they flood the market it will devalue the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi jimmyb,

I can answer the first question because I had a beer with my engine builder on Sunday: He says they have two lines building the LS7 and one line building the North Star. A forth line may be added to build the Blue Devil engine when that time comes. He tells me they build 33 LS7 engines a day, 5 days a week and they are offered OT on Saturday but not all the builders take it. Do the math--I figure about half of what you said. Allow two weeks off for summer and a week at Christmas.

Some of those LS7's go in crates and some go to a test center where he says the lab runs them until they break and look for a reason.

Your reason for the frames and carbon fiber parts make sense.

RJ :partyon:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Its nice that they don't make alot of them. Thats all I need is to drive around and see alot of Z's. If they made alot of them no one would drop their jaw at the site of one.

·
Super Moderator
10,093 Posts
SCS Z06 said:
Hi jimmyb,

I can answer the first question because I had a beer with my engine builder on Sunday: He says they have two lines building the LS7 and one line building the North Star. A forth line may be added to build the Blue Devil engine when that time comes. He tells me they build 33 LS7 engines a day, 5 days a week and they are offered OT on Saturday but not all the builders take it. Do the math--I figure about half of what you said. Allow two weeks off for summer and a week at Christmas.

Some of those LS7's go in crates and some go to a test center where he says the lab runs them until they break and look for a reason.

Your reason for the frames and carbon fiber parts make sense.

RJ :partyon:
16.5*5 days * 2 lines * 50 weeks = 8,250 LS7s or 48 weeks 7,920

16*5 days * 1 line * 50 weeks = 4,125 Northstars or 48 weeks 3,960
(most must be going to the STS-V)

Assume OT covers vacations and most holidays.

That's a total of 12,740 engines, leaving a balance of 2,625 to 3,120 engine capacity available per GM's stated production capability of 15,000 for the plant.

·
Banned
212 Posts
I Agree

EFE Z06 said:
I have to admit, I'm happy that GM is not making more Z06's. They've finally built a world class car and if they keep the numbers low it will be a valued and coveted car for years to come! I say keep the numbers low, sorry guys.

EFE Z06
Sorry Boys and Girls, I Put my money down in July of 2005 and waited :bang and waited :bang and OH YEAH I ALSO :bang WAITED!!!!!!!! Until 3/31/2006.:partyon: She is now with me, and It was love at first sight. :hump: we are in Love. :smokin:
--I Had what I called Z06 Blue Balls for Eight months! :surprised :surprised
-Now I feel relieved. ( If my wife read this, She could never understand )
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
jimmyb said:

Jimmy

Jimmy i don't own azo6, will have an 06/c6 this month,i hope, but i think this applies across the board for all Corvette's .I think there is a element of truth to all the threads that have come in responce to your thread,but the bottom line,GMC wants to keep the price high,that keeps the resale value high,they don't want to see them like used isuzo,s or whatever.Thats why their not running assembly lines 24/7 plus that would put to much strain on their suppliers.This way gmc has the best of both worlds,high profit,no surplus,high demand.The only problem is it makes anyone wanting a Corvette especially a z0/6 empty your wallets and jump threw hoops to get one.JMO:( :( :(

·
Super Moderator
10,093 Posts
Even with the current availability / pricing, a few too many owners with more money than experience are destroying their Zs. Notice that Wallace is considering making a driving school part of the SS package. This type of thinking is absolutely necessary in today's litigious society. GM must protect itself from the inexperienced and the idiots.

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
Yes..The quality is getting better..Not quite there yet

Longtimer said:
Exactly. Unlike some of the 60's and 70's model years, GM has set production limits for the sake of quality, rather than shoving less than best quality out the door to maximize revenue and highten ownership frustration.

However, the entire purchasing program is built around a target number of Z06 units. I think that this is a rare instance where Marketing is not driving the the target number. It is set by either model profitability, model environmental/CAFE needs, LS7 availability, dealer gouging ability (like a bonus from GM to dealers for the Chevy lean years) or some combination of all of these. GM Marketing is probably crying in their beer over the limited supply, when current demand is so high.
The C6 Z06 is fastest performance car in history..for the money..period. I was concerned about the first year "bug's" as my friend at the assembly plant is referring to. I along with SOME owners were not quite happy with the "high dollar" performance Vette/Vs the problems that some are having so
I sold mine. Hopefully, GM PLEASE..fix the problems..you are almost there.
Please dont get me wrong..This was the most beautiful car I have ever owned. But, Just like my 01 Z06 (the oil burner), I guess first year is a sort of trial period for any new model. You guys that are running the Hell out of your new Z06's...Be carefull..they will break, they are not bullet proof. How anyone could misuse such a wonderful car is beyond me anyway. :huh:

·
Banned
1,905 Posts
You got it Right!!!!

:thumbsup:
StillCrazy said:
Jimmy i don't own azo6, will have an 06/c6 this month,i hope, but i think this applies across the board for all Corvette's .I think there is a element of truth to all the threads that have come in responce to your thread,but the bottom line,GMC wants to keep the price high,that keeps the resale value high,they don't want to see them like used isuzo,s or whatever.Thats why their not running assembly lines 24/7 plus that would put to much strain on their suppliers.This way gmc has the best of both worlds,high profit,no surplus,high demand.The only problem is it makes anyone wanting a Corvette especially a z0/6 empty your wallets and jump threw hoops to get one.JMO:( :( :([/QUOTE

Too Bad I lost 20K on my 02 Z06 with only 3000 miles:smack

·
Banned
212 Posts
Destroying their Z's

Longtimer said:
Even with the current availability / pricing, a few too many owners with more money than experience are destroying their Zs. Notice that Wallace is considering making a driving school part of the SS package. This type of thinking is absolutely necessary in today's litigious society. GM must protect itself from the inexperienced and the idiots.
I heard about a Lawyer in New York that had a specially modified set of 410 gears put in his new Z06. He jumped on the gas on the Old Bx river parkway and lost control of the car, The front wheels lifted off the ground, needless to say, he could not steer the car. The good news is: It was rebuilt and now resembles the C6R. I am having Westchester Corvettes Tune and install LG long tube header's, a stat and hurst shifter in a few weeks. The tuning is almost ready. I should see 100HP that feels like 150HP with the tuning opened up. I'll keep everyone updated. No 410's for me, I want my baby on the ground at all times....:partyon:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hot Z06 said:
You guys that are running the Hell out of your new Z06's...Be carefull..they will break, they are not bullet proof. How anyone could misuse such a wonderful car is beyond me anyway. :huh:
You buy a hammer to drive nails, yes? Why do you buy a high performance car? Exactly.

I'm not saying every trip in a Z06 should be made with your foot through the floor, but coddling a high performance car is simply sacrilegious.

·
Registered
22 Posts
How do I find out the name of my LS7 builder?? I just got my Z06, and I thought there was supposed to be a plaque or something on the engine that had the name of the builder on it. Maybe I was dreaming, or something!

·
Registered
471 Posts
That's interesting that the 4.10's would do that

Kingjerbo said:
I heard about a Lawyer in New York that had a specially modified set of 410 gears put in his new Z06. He jumped on the gas on the Old Bx river parkway and lost control of the car, The front wheels lifted off the ground, needless to say, he could not steer the car. The good news is: It was rebuilt and now resembles the C6R. I am having Westchester Corvettes Tune and install LG long tube header's, a stat and hurst shifter in a few weeks. The tuning is almost ready. I should see 100HP that feels like 150HP with the tuning opened up. I'll keep everyone updated. No 410's for me, I want my baby on the ground at all times....:partyon:
I think that has to be more of a traction - too much rubber issue - than anything else. I'm building a C5R of sorts with anywhere from 500-550 RWHP (we haven't decided how much we want to tune or detune the car) with 3.90's which are perfect for road racing (what the car will be used for). If I floor it in 1st gear the car will go nowhere, the tires will just spin) but anything after that I'm good an certainly not lifting of the ground.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts