Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:WTF

I know a couple families trapped in this scenario with their employers with conventional hmo plans with stupid high deductables.

4k for a family of four?
5k?

If your paying that much for deductables that need to be met upfront, your giving your money away...

:crazy:

related but not the same type of plans:
http://blog.hcfama.org/2008/05/21/the-growing-problem-of-high-deductible-health-plans/

This is a new, fast growing problem in my area.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
My kids wrecked their go kart, little one broke his arm. Bill came to a little less than $3k. :huh:

But, a smart person would do what the democrat voters and the illegals do, go to ER and let the taxpayers cover it.. :laughing:

·
Registered
476 Posts
My kids wrecked their go kart, little one broke his arm. Bill came to a little less than $3k. :huh:

But, a smart person would do what the democrat voters and the illegals do, go to ER and let the taxpayers cover it.. :laughing:
3K! holy jumpin it doesnt cost anywhere near that much up here unless you want more than just regular white cast.

·
Banned
31,366 Posts
3K! holy jumpin it doesnt cost anywhere near that much up here unless you want more than just regular white cast.
:laughing: My oldest spent 2 hours in the ER after a car wreck, no injuries, bill was $4800.00. Him and his buddy both rode in the same ambulance, at $2415.00 each, 41 miles.

·
Registered
476 Posts
:laughing: My oldest spent 2 hours in the ER after a car wreck, no injuries, bill was $4800.00. Him and his buddy both rode in the same ambulance, at $2415.00 each, 41 miles.
When i was 13 i had a skiing accident where i decided my face was the best way to slow my self down and injured my neck. A 1hr ambulance ride from the ski resort to the hospital was $200 didnt pay for the xrays, medications, bedtime or anything else, just the ambulance ride because it was in Quebec.

As for open heart surgery, my grandfather had quadrupedal bypass surgery and it didnt cost him a dime.

·
Banned
12,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, but now your talking about a 10k to 25k yearly premium.......plus.........another 4 to 8k up front deductable, before you even touch a penny of what you spent in HC for that year....:crazy:

Some of the plans here are even asking for cash upfront per year on the deductable...........so i'm told.......:WTF

·
Registered
476 Posts
yeah, but now your talking about a 10k to 25k yearly premium.......plus.........another 4 to 8k up front deductable, before you even touch a penny of what you spent in HC for that year....:crazy:

Some of the plans here are even asking for cash upfront per year on the deductable...........so i'm told.......:WTF
Simple solution dont get sick and live in a bubble

·
Registered
19,476 Posts

So don't buy it. ;)
No one's forcing you to......YET. :rolling:

No worries! Obama's got this one. :laughing:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
I would think open heart surgery would wipe most people out of every penny they have.
So a $3K-$4K deductible with 80/20 coinsurance and a $7500 annual stop loss doesn't sound so bad to you then? :agree:

·
Registered
19,914 Posts
When i was 13 i had a skiing accident where i decided my face was the best way to slow my self down and injured my neck. A 1hr ambulance ride from the ski resort to the hospital was $200 didnt pay for the xrays, medications, bedtime or anything else, just the ambulance ride because it was in Quebec.

As for open heart surgery, my grandfather had quadrupedal bypass surgery and it didnt cost him a dime.
Except the higher cost of living across the board... on everything from food to fuel. It is payed for in one way or the other, my friend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My BC/BS Select plan w/ 1K deductable each, for family of 4, is getting upped from13k/yr to 18K/yr next month. Plan started at 11K three years ago. Bunch of BS if you ask me, we did'nt even have any claims/illness. I guess i go shopping again. So much for the promise of medical going down, ya down the shitter.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
So a $3K-$4K deductible with 80/20 coinsurance and a $7500 annual stop loss doesn't sound so bad to you then? :agree:
It's lot of money to budget - that could be spent on other things, but I look at it as being no choice.

Regardless of anything, I want to know that if I ever need serious medical attention, then I'm going to get it without any questions. Unfortunately, that means giving a sizeable chunk of my hard earned money to the ****ing insurance company every year.

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
That's the crux of the biscuit right there. These people, or their employer, are buying a low-cost plan whose main purpose is to prevent a monster bill in case of significant illness or injury. When you choose these plans, you know that you are exposed on the day-to-day medical expenses, tests, etc. But in return, your monthly premium is relatively low. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

·
Banned
9,760 Posts

So why do we want to continue to allow those democrats and illegals to do this. I have an idea....lets make every US citizen have to have insurance and then allow the ER to turn away anybody who doesn't have insurance. That sounds like something a good conservative could get behind. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
So why do we want to continue to allow those democrats and illegals to do this. I have an idea....lets make every US citizen have to have insurance and then allow the ER to turn away anybody who doesn't have insurance. That sounds like something a good conservative could get behind. :thumbsup:
There's your problem.....It'll never happen. :laughing:

·
Registered
25,253 Posts
Sorry, it doesn't pass the conservative test with that one word. Conservatism is about making your own decisions for your own life. It's called liberty.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
That's the crux of the biscuit right there. These people, or their employer, are buying a low-cost plan whose main purpose is to prevent a monster bill in case of significant illness or injury. When you choose these plans, you know that you are exposed on the day-to-day medical expenses, tests, etc. But in return, your monthly premium is relatively low. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insurance
In law and economics, insurance is a form of risk management primarily used to hedge against the risk of a contingent, uncertain loss. Insurance is defined as the equitable transfer of the risk of a loss, from one entity to another, in exchange for payment.

The problem with health insurance is that the majority have turned it into a maintenance plan. People want everything for free and expect every little cough or rash covered from dollar one. Health INSURANCE is not designed for this. It's designed to spread the risk of financial loss in a catostrophic situation. Average Joe, that is given this BENEFIT by their employer, doesn't get this. :crazy:

Nothing is free people. When the system is abused, prices go up.

Want to see prices go up even faster????? Get the government involved, demand more coverage, and limit competition. Everything Obamacare has pushed. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts