Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna know does anybody know how to disable the block that comes from the factory for the C6 in dash dvd player? how do you modify it to play dve's, if anyone knows please let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Please let us know if you find out how to modify it to play DVDs---really curious!:cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe it is because it is illegal because it could distract a driver, i could be wrong though. Same reason you cant program your nav while driving.

·
...twisting your mind and smashing your dreams.
9,389 Posts
There are several reasons this won't work, it's as simple as why a Mac disc won't work in a pc, it's just not compatible.

There may eventually be a 'hack' but the result will be poor at very best. The screen resolution of the oem NAV unit just isn't up to the job of DVD video playback. It was designed for the sole purpose of NAV and the limited resolution required for radio/DC controls etc.

DVD video has minimum display/scan line resolution requirements; needs that exceed the limits of the C6's NAV options display. If a hack were accomplished (and it would be an INTENSIVE hack), the result would have to be a down-interpolated version of the original video, in plain English, a very crappy video quality.

If you really want video playback abilities, an aftermarket NAV/DVD playback system, like the Pioneer AVIC line for instance, is the only real logical solution.

I retrofitted a full NAV/DVD system into my C5 Z, a HUGE undertaking, but with the available double din factory opening in the C6, a swap is a relatively simple job.

If you compare the price of a well equipped aftermarket unite, Pioneer or eclipse NAV system that DOES support DVD playback (as well as a LOT of other features the oem option lacks), it's pretty cost competitive.

I will eventually buy a C6Z, and I can tell you with absolute certainty, that unless there is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to the factory NAV option, I will order without and opt for an aftermarket piecce:thumbsup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sheriffd2 said:
There are several reasons this won't work, it's as simple as why a Mac disc won't work in a pc, it's just not compatible.

There may eventually be a 'hack' but the result will be poor at very best. The screen resolution of the oem NAV unit just isn't up to the job of DVD video playback. It was designed for the sole purpose of NAV and the limited resolution required for radio/DC controls etc.

DVD video has minimum display/scan line resolution requirements; needs that exceed the limits of the C6's NAV options display. If a hack were accomplished (and it would be an INTENSIVE hack), the result would have to be a down-interpolated version of the original video, in plain English, a very crappy video quality.

If you really want video playback abilities, an aftermarket NAV/DVD playback system, like the Pioneer AVIC line for instance, is the only real logical solution.

I retrofitted a full NAV/DVD system into my C5 Z, a HUGE undertaking, but with the available double din factory opening in the C6, a swap is a relatively simple job.

If you compare the price of a well equipped aftermarket unite, Pioneer or eclipse NAV system that DOES support DVD playback (as well as a LOT of other features the oem option lacks), it's pretty cost competitive.

I will eventually buy a C6Z, and I can tell you with absolute certainty, that unless there is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to the factory NAV option, I will order without and opt for an aftermarket piecce:thumbsup:
yeah, you might be right, I've heard opinions for both arugument that you would be able to play dvd's, and you can't. But I think I'm starting to lean more and more towards the aftermarket option. Are there any that are compatible with the HUD?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts