Corvette Forum : DigitalCorvettes.com Corvette Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked the Vette up from being in to have the rear hatch release button fixed (which I subsequently learned I probably could've done myself, and would've avoided this whole fiasco). Place is open until 9PM for pickup, but service reps are gone by then. Long story short, they scratched up the top of my rear fascia and put 6 miles on the car for a switch repair. :WTF

Obviously, I'm gonna talk to the service manager to make them fix the scratches to my satisfaction. My question is, is there any conceivable reason why they'd need to put 6 miles on the car for this job? I certainly don't think so, but I wanted to make sure I was on solid ground before I tear into the service manager.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
321 Posts
i took my C5 to the dealer when the window wouldn't go up and they gave me a hard time about the warranty because it had headers and a procharger.
It took them two days to fix it and put 50 miles on the car checking to see if the window worked i guess.
i got no use for dealers bunch of assholes...most of them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
There would be no reason to put miles on your cars for these fixes. I would be raising holy hell with these dealers. Just someone out joy riding in your car !!!! :WTF

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
There would be no reason to put miles on your cars for these fixes. I would be raising holy hell with these dealers. Just someone out joy riding in your car !!!! :WTF
that is not true they drove the car to make sure there were no rattles after fixing the hatch. there is no excuse for the scratches though. we must remember that these are just cars and we they need to be driven to when repairs arew done for quality control purposes. i will agree that there are many horror stories that happen at dealers. i have seen many bad things happen but remember for every one bad thing that occurs there are hundreds of good repairs on vettes. i am not defeding the dealer but just stating that corvette owners expect perfection when we take for repairs but we get pissed when they quality check the repairs. but we will be the first to jump up and down if the repair is not fone correctly.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Why would they have to drive 6 miles to test for rattles? :WTF
Joy ride for sure:surprised

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It's funny because I own three vehicles; my 2004 Corvette, an Acura as my daily business driver and a mini-van for the growing family.

I try to limit my dealer visits for my Corvette to a minimum. Now that the vette is out of warranty, I probably won't be going back any time soon.

When I did go, I would always work with a service manager and specifically ask them if the mechanic or technician would need to drive the vehicle. If yes, the manager and I agreed on how much and we both logged the miles coming in. Not in a threatening way, more in a mutual understanding way. I try to take advantage of the "service manager relationship" dealers try to establish. If they know you are trusting them personally with the vehicle, they have skin in the game, etc.

I also make sure they have special lifts and special mechanics for Corvettes (which not all GM/Chevrolet dealers do). So far, it's been fine. I brought mine in twice, once for a recall notice and another due to leaking gas vapors which was probably caused by me when I was working on my seat hoops and I damaged the carbon filter. Replaced under warranty BTW so that was good.

As to the minivan, heck they could drive it to Disney as long as they pay for the gas! :laughing:

One funny dealership story I have to share is with my friend's Ford Taurus. About 15 years ago, he brought it in with 197,000 miles on it (he was in sales and did a lot of driving) due to the engine misfiring, etc. Probably due to his 3oil changes over that time :laughing: . However, the odometer did not have 7 digits so it only showed 97,000 and due to the extended warrantly, Ford replaced the entire engine. He ended up driving it for another 200,000 miles. The car was damn ugly - we called it the "Work Beast", but he had no car payments for close to 10 years. Yes, he now owns a vette as well. :partyon:

·
Premium Member
6,667 Posts
One funny dealership story I have to share is with my friend's Ford Taurus. About 15 years ago, he brought it in with 197,000 miles on it (he was in sales and did a lot of driving) due to the engine misfiring, etc. Probably due to his 3oil changes over that time :laughing: . However, the odometer did not have 7 digits so it only showed 97,000 and due to the extended warrantly, Ford replaced the entire engine.
Now thats funny.:rolling:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Why would they have to drive 6 miles to test for rattles? :WTF
Joy ride for sure:surprised
has there been some dealers that have had joy rides yeppers it happens, but 6 miles for a qulaity control test for rattles is actually short. when had a set road that we drove on to test for rattles and it was 8 miles. it had city streets, up 1 entrance ramp to hwy then off again and down a bumpy road just to MAKE SURE it was fixed becasue oh dear god you dont want to make a corvette person unhappy. guys you have to realize that yes we are proud of our cars and I AM LUCKY TO OWN A CORVETTE. that these cars have been out for 4 years now and most techs could care less about driving them, in fact most techs hate working on them because the customers are so hard to please. IMO i dont feel that 6 miles is long for a rattle test. again i will restate there is no excuse for the scratches.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Now thats funny.:rolling:
What's funny is that after the first 50K miles, he stopped bringing it into the dealer and just kept adding on miles. The dealer thought he only had 97K and agreed to replace the engine as the exterior/interior looked normal.

I really think this car is probably still running. It was just one of those tanks built for the long run. The only reason he got rid of it was because the front end had gotten pretty beat up due to all the highway driving, etc.

He sold it to some kid in the neighborhood for $500.00. I remember when the kid tried "negotiating" to get the cost down, my buddy went into the garage, took a case of beer out of the fridge and placed it the back seat. The kid said "Deal!: :laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts